What's new

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Migration(2023) is the latest fun offering from Illumination Studios, the producers behind Minions and the Despicable Me films.

Migration (2023)

Released: 22 Dec 2023
Rated: PG
Runtime: 83 min

Director: Benjamin Renner, Guylo Homsy
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy

Cast: Kumail Nanjiani, Tresi Gazal, Elizabeth Banks
Writer(s): Mike White, Benjamin Renner

Plot: A family of ducks try to convince their overprotective father to go on the vacation of a lifetime.

IMDB rating: 6.7
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, Spanish 7.1 DD+:Spanish 7.1 DD+, French...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Guess someone's got to be the proverbial parrot -- but no 3D disc anywhere so far.

Apparently there is a 2D/3D Vudu item if you want and don't won't to take the chance somebody/somewhere might release it someday

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This was a miss/fail for our family. We had pretty high expectations from the goofy trailers that made it seem like a fun “road trip” kind of movie, but we found those trailers to be a little bit deceptive, obscuring the film’s darker undertones. What could have been a nice, pleasant film about the duck family’s migration detoured into an action movie, which I don’t think was necessary.

It was sort of the same knock that I had against The Secret Life of Pets, and I think @Mike Frezon had the same reaction to Pets that I did. That movie presented itself as a story of what your pets do all day when you’re not at home (great family-friendly premise!) but also turned out to be an action movie about pets secretly being spies getting into more mature spy craft with more violence than was necessary. All they had to do was make a movie about pets at home without humans and the concept sells itself. Why they turned it into a generic action movie full of violence was beyond me.

Same problem with Migration - at one point, you’ve got a human bad guy on something akin to a military aircraft firing weapons at ducks and planning to exterminate a colony of them. I mean… was that really a necessary direction to take? I thought the basic premise of a duck family taking their little ones on their first migration and feeling a little “fish out of water” on the journey was more than enough to sustain the film. My kids loved those parts. They did not enjoy when humans entered the picture acting brutish and nasty.

This might be better for the ten-and-over crowd but it’s being marketed as being for the youngest family members and I feel it was just a little much for Pre-K ages. And it really didn’t need to be.

A movie we looked forward to as a family for months but were ultimately disappointed by.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think that's what happens when they try and make a movie for "all ages". If it's too tame, older kids and adults won't bother. Also likely a reason we see very few G-rated films released. Even animated films are mostly PG these days.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This was a miss/fail for our family. We had pretty high expectations from the goofy trailers that made it seem like a fun “road trip” kind of movie, but we found those trailers to be a little bit deceptive, obscuring the film’s darker undertones. What could have been a nice, pleasant film about the duck family’s migration detoured into an action movie, which I don’t think was necessary.

It was sort of the same knock that I had against The Secret Life of Pets, and I think @Mike Frezon had the same reaction to Pets that I did. That movie presented itself as a story of what your pets do all day when you’re not at home (great family-friendly premise!) but also turned out to be an action movie about pets secretly being spies getting into more mature spy craft with more violence than was necessary. All they had to do was make a movie about pets at home without humans and the concept sells itself. Why they turned it into a generic action movie full of violence was beyond me.

Same problem with Migration - at one point, you’ve got a human bad guy on something akin to a military aircraft firing weapons at ducks and planning to exterminate a colony of them. I mean… was that really a necessary direction to take? I thought the basic premise of a duck family taking their little ones on their first migration and feeling a little “fish out of water” on the journey was more than enough to sustain the film. My kids loved those parts. They did not enjoy when humans entered the picture acting brutish and nasty.

This might be better for the ten-and-over crowd but it’s being marketed as being for the youngest family members and I feel it was just a little much for Pre-K ages. And it really didn’t need to be.

A movie we looked forward to as a family for months but were ultimately disappointed by.
@Josh Steinberg : We really should have a movie weekend together sometime! :D

I'm with you 100% on Migration. Peg and I took our two granddaughters (ages 7-9) to see it in the theater a month or so ago. When it was fun it was fun. When it was stupid and mean, it was no longer fun. The girls were okay with it and we had some nice post-movie conversations about the characters and most-favorite & least-favorite parts. But while I went in with low expectations, I was not disappointed.

Personally, I've already forgotten the film. It reminds me of most of the recent efforts from Disney Animation. Boring, formulaic, and lacking charm. A picture like this should concentrate on the small issues facing your prototypical duck family (after all, aren't they interesting enough?!) instead of insisting upon a violent threat to their very existence. For example, I absolutely LOVE the smallness of the universe in the TV show Bluey. A loving nuclear family that interacts with each other in everyday scenarios and learns lessons (both adults and kids). Not altogether dissimilar from a '50s show like Leave It to Beaver. The writing is smart. It's not boring. Characters grow. Kids are kids. And it is entertaining.

I know there are many who disagree with me. And, like Malcolm says, I understand studios want to play to as wide an audience of kids as possible. But its really just lazy to create chases and attacks and peril in non-inventive ways...and that seems to be the common fallback in current day kids films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.