What's new

Captain Marvel (2019) (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think in this age of the mega-blockbuster, theaters in recent years have really loaded up on opening weekend showtimes. I don’t think they want to turn away anyone at the door, or make anyone wait for the next showing.

Since it’s all digital now, there’s no extra cost or physical effort to put it on more screens, in the way that it used to be when number of screenings were fixed to how many physical prints a multiplex received.

Because such a large percentage of a film’s box office total, especially for a blockbuster, comes on the first weekend, they want to be prepared to scoop up as much of that money as possible. This whole system of opening as wide and as big as possible only works if the perception among average moviegoers is that they can easily just show up and buy a ticket. If it becomes a hassle for the consumer to do that, they’ll lose interest in going opening weekend.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think in this age of the mega-blockbuster, theaters in recent years have really loaded up on opening weekend showtimes. I don’t think they want to turn away anyone at the door, or make anyone wait for the next showing.
I also believe Disney mandates a minimum number of showtimes per screen as part of the contract to book their biggest films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I also believe Disney mandates a minimum number of showtimes per screen as part of the contract to book their biggest films.

Well, the number of shows possible per screen would depend on the running time of the movie, as well as how many trailers the theater puts in front of it. I'm sure the theaters all want to give Captain Marvel the most shows possible this weekend because it's been a long time since we saw a true blockbuster-level opening, and having one will recharge interest in moviegoing. All the people who come in for Captain Marvel this weekend are going to see trailers for the big early summer films like Endgame and Detective Pikachu and (hopefully) Aladdin which are designed to want to make them come back.

(Seriously, what was the last $100 million-plus opener? I don't remember. Jurassic World?)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, the number of shows possible per screen would depend on the running time of the movie, as well as how many trailers the theater puts in front of it.
I don't think it's the same number for every movie, nor for every theater. The drive-ins, for instance, are only going to have one showtime a day. But I do think the theaters commit to a minimum number up front when they book a movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Disney has pretty strict agreements when it comes to theatrical - not only do they mandate a certain number of showtimes per screen and all of that, but they also insist on having the largest/best auditorium for a certain amount of time - more than a single week. On the one hand, some theaters complains that this keeps them locked into showing a Disney movie on their biggest screens on the third week when the demand is dying down, but on the other hand, as a customer, I like that there's a little less pressure to see the film on opening weekend in order to guarantee seeing it in a good auditorium.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
II do think the theaters commit to a minimum number up front when they book a movie.

I suspect you are entirely correct about that. I do know from when I used to talk to theater staff before I moved that they would require the largest auditorium for a minimum of four weeks for a Star Wars film. Whether Captain Marvel is significant enough to command the same thing, I don't know, although it certainly is in my theater's biggest auditorium this weekend.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Currently at 91% all critics and 56% top critics. I've listened to several of my favorite youtube critics and they are all kind of meh about it. Not bad enough to give a negative review but definitely in the lower 3rd of their favorite MCU movies. Apparently both end credit scenes are crucial.
Down to 83% now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think what they'll do is that they'll insist on having the biggest auditorium for 4 weeks, but that they are also not reality-adverse; if one of their films so completely underperforms that holding all of the big rooms would be deadly to the theater, they have allowed theaters in those cases to make adjustments. "A Wrinkle In Time" and "Solo" didn't stay in the biggest rooms at my local multiplex as long as Disney movies typically do, nor did "Nutcracker and the Four Realms." Disney drives a tough bargain, but they also don't want to cause their theatrical partners to go out of business because of the licensing agreements.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Among the reviews popping up today is this four-star review by Rolling Stone's Peter Travers. I point this out not because Travers is the greatest critic, but because in 2014 when he wrote his piece on the upcoming summer movies, he was completely dismissive of Guardians of the Galaxy, words he had to eat 2 1/2 months later when he published a positive review of the movie. This time, he's actually seen the movie, and he really likes it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-reviews/captain-marvel-movie-review-brie-larson-802831/

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Brie Larson was on Jimmy Kimmel Live yesterday. There's no spoilers in the interview, but there is a clip around the 7:11 mark which I skipped over.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seeing it Friday morning in IMAX. Hope my fears will not be realized and I actually enjoy it despite the terrible trailers.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Scott Pilgrim, Mary Elizabeth Winsted would have made a much better Captain Marvel in my opinion.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It was Samuel L. Jackson's turn on Jimmy Kimmel last night:

No spoilers in the interview, but a clip from the film starts at the 7:35 mark which I skipped over.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Got to admit, I'm really looking forward to putting this film behind me. This nagging feeling that it's going to be disappointing - I just want to see the film and get that thought out of my head, and I totally want that feeling of it being disappointing to be wrong. I want to be pleasantly surprised.

The controversy about Larson herself has been nibbling at my brain as well. I won't go on about that, it's been discussed to death everywhere.

I'm also hoping beyond hope that CM is *not* the one that defeats Thanos in Endgame. I think that would be a huge disservice to the Avengers themselves.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm also hoping beyond hope that CM is *not* the one that defeats Thanos in Endgame. I think that would be a huge disservice to the Avengers themselves.

I don't think it'll play out that way - I certainly hope not. I think Kevin Feige and the rest of the Marvel team are smart enough to know that a resolution to a 10 year, 20 film story arc that was basically, "This character you've never heard of, never seen before, and had no emotional attachment to just showed up and saved everyone in the blink of an eye, the end" would be dramatically unsatisfying. I'm sure they know this. I'm sure that she'll play a key role within the film and allow the Avengers the chance to accomplish their goal, but I don't anticipate that she'll just come in, snap her fingers, and everything will be fixed.

I gotta say, though, I'm not terribly excited for the movie tomorrow - usually I'm pretty amped up when it's the day before. I'm not sure if it's just Marvel fatigue, if it's the fact that it's a new character to me (I remember not being very excited to see Doctor Strange, but wound up loving that movie), or if I've just had enough of origin stories for a while, or if it's the underwhelming trailers. But I'm hopeful that when the film itself actually starts playing that I'll enjoy it.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I don't think it'll play out that way - I certainly hope not. I think Kevin Feige and the rest of the Marvel team are smart enough to know that a resolution to a 10 year, 20 film story arc that was basically, "This character you've never heard of, never seen before, and had no emotional attachment to just showed up and saved everyone in the blink of an eye, the end" would be dramatically unsatisfying. I'm sure they know this. I'm sure that she'll play a key role within the film and allow the Avengers the chance to accomplish their goal, but I don't anticipate that she'll just come in, snap her fingers, and everything will be fixed.

I gotta say, though, I'm not terribly excited for the movie tomorrow - usually I'm pretty amped up when it's the day before. I'm not sure if it's just Marvel fatigue, if it's the fact that it's a new character to me (I remember not being very excited to see Doctor Strange, but wound up loving that movie), or if I've just had enough of origin stories for a while, or if it's the underwhelming trailers. But I'm hopeful that when the film itself actually starts playing that I'll enjoy it.

I agree completely with everything you've said here. The only caveat that I'd like to point out is what Feige has been saying. He's gone out of his way to state that CM is the most powerful figure in the MCU.

I think this was a mistake. And it's exactly for the reason you stated just now. We've invested so much in these MCU characters, and to be told that a character we haven't met yet is the most powerful is really not necessary or even wise.

Mixed with Larson's controversial attitudes, there's an unpleasant undertone that attaches itself to that idea. It's an unfortunate, and I'm sure unintended amalgam.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well, attitude, opinions. No matter what you call it, it's been very unfortunate and she's done some damage. I guess we will find out how much, maybe.
Attitude and Opinion are not really the same thing.
Seems like this is very condescending and considering what she was talking about maybe this is part of that.
Also Damage to who or what? All the 40 year old white dudes?
Too bad.
"I do not need a 40 year old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about a Wrinkle in Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what that film meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial." This is only after she gives the statistics of how 67% of the top critics are white males, and how only approximately 30% of the US population is white males."
From the attitude I see in your comment maybe she was referring to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks