What's new

Captain Marvel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, if you want to see it in 3D, you'll have to see it in theaters since Disney is apparently not issuing any further 3D blu-ray discs anywhere, per confirmation in another thread. So theatrical appears to be the only option for Disney 3D going forward.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Captain Marvel in 2D, 3D, 4DX or ScreenX? :eek:

I don't know about 4DX or ScreenX but I'm pretty sure that it will be playing in both 2D and 3D. They showed the trailer for it in front of the UltraAVX showing of Alita: Battle Angel that I went to and it was in 3D.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
With all the positive buzz, I wonder why they stuck to the March date.

I would have put it out in February. Sure, it wouldn't have beaten Black Panther from last year, but it could easily have beaten Alita and woken up the sluggish box office we've been having this year. And that would have given it more than seven weeks distance from the debut of Endgame.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
March 8 is International Women's Day

And there's the answer. The connection works for good extra press, which they can certainly use but don't really need in order to make it a hit. But if it were me, I would probably have still gone with February in order to avoid the extremely close proximity to Endgame. We'll see how this gamble works out for them and how much Captain Marvel's potential legs are impacted by the shortness of the gap.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
And there's the answer. The connection works for good extra press, which they can certainly use but don't really need in order to make it a hit. But if it were me, I would probably have still gone with February in order to avoid the extremely close proximity to Endgame. We'll see how this gamble works out for them and how much Captain Marvel's potential legs are impacted by the shortness of the gap.

For the record, if it had been my decision to make, I would have gone with February too, for the reasons you stated. But other than the first weekend in May (or last in April), Marvel seems to avoid releasing their films at the same time every year.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But other than the first weekend in May (or last in April), Marvel seems to avoid releasing their films at the same time every year.

Early July has turned into a reliable date for them too, between Homecoming, Ant-Man and the Wasp (which was only a couple weeks earlier than its original film was in 2017) and Far From Home being there this year.

The main reason I would have picked February isn't because Black Panther succeeded there or because they need to stick to the same release window. I just feel like the opportunity for Captain Marvel to play and play and play and play like Black Panther did is somewhat limited by the seven-week gap between it and what is effectively its sequel. Black Panther was still kicking around when Infinity War showed up, but it had an earlier release date and therefore a longer runway to play before Infinity War arrived.

But this is the same studio that is releasing Aladdin (May 24), Toy Story 4 (June 21) and The Lion King (July 19) in successive months despite the fact that they're all going for the '90s nostalgia factor and have a target audience overlap of 100%. These seem sure to eat into each other's box office results and will make all three totals less than they would likely have been able to do if they were being released in a more staggered manner. But Disney is insisting on sticking to their guns and putting them all out at once. So if the proximity to Endgame ends up leaving some money on the table for Captain Marvel....well, Disney must not care and can just get used to that happening this year.

No listing for it on Amazon or anywhere I can find.

This is a great question. If they are planning to release it on physical CD around the time the film comes out, you'd think they would have a listing up already. If they're not going to release a CD version, and it's only going to be available as a download, that would be easier for stores to flip the switch and put up a listing right when it becomes available. You'd think there would be a CD, but perhaps not. Bumblebee's soundtrack was loaded with great '80s songs and probably could have sold well on CD as the Guardians CDs did -- but it was only released as a digital download, effectively turning it into a playlist. (I know that's not Marvel, and I know Captain Marvel is the '90s, not the '80s, but I think you see the point I'm trying to make.)

Still, Marvel knows it has had success with soundtracks featuring older licensed music with Guardians. It stands to reason they would try to replicate that success with a '90s-flavored Captain Marvel CD. Who knows?

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You'd think there would be a CD, but perhaps not. Bumblebee's soundtrack was loaded with great '80s songs and probably could have sold well on CD as the Guardians CDs did -- but it was only released as a digital download, effectively turning it into a playlist. (I know that's not Marvel, and I know Captain Marvel is the '90s, not the '80s, but I think you see the point I'm trying to make.)
Still, Marvel knows it has had success with soundtracks featuring older licensed music with Guardians. It stands to reason they would try to replicate that success with a '90s-flavored Captain Marvel CD. Who knows?

Disney sold a lot of CDs for Guardians and got a lot of notoriety too (both soundtracks had press coverage) so I can't imagine they won't release a CD at some point. With GOTG2, they were concerned about spoilers of any kind and while the CD listing was up, the track listing was not until just before the movie. This time, there is not even a CD listing for Captain Marvel two weeks before the film.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Guardians came out 5 years ago, which we know is a lifetime in the media/A/V worlds. I can't image them ever wanting to invest in the pressing of discs in today's Spotify/Pandora/iTunes world. I can totally see this one being 100% digital download.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
With GOTG2, they were concerned about spoilers of any kind and while the CD listing was up, the track listing was not until just before the movie.

Actually, the CD came out a week before the film did -- I had it, and played it, several times, during the week before the film came out. To me, knowing what the songs were didn't matter because I still didn't know how they were going to be used.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Guardians came out 5 years ago, which we know is a lifetime in the media/A/V worlds. I can't image them ever wanting to invest in the pressing of discs in today's Spotify/Pandora/iTunes world. I can totally see this one being 100% digital download.

Nah, I bet they sell a lot of discs through impulse buys when they have the CDs in places like Target or in Disney theme parks.

And Guardians 2 only came out 2 years ago. Still plenty of CDs sold.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Who know, they may try it one more time, But the Targets around use have maybe a 6 foot section of WAY overpriced CD's sitting there collecting dust so the CD era is closing up more day by day.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
This isn't a CD fans only thread. it's about the movie and a SOUNDTRACK discussion and the options it may or may not arrive in folks. So lighten up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I really don't get why some people are happy to see other people lose options when it comes to enjoying a hobby.

It happened again and again in threads about 3D discs and now it is happening in threads about discs in general.

That’s just you. No one has implied they are happy that cds and 3D isn’t as available as it once was that I see in this topic.

Does it really matter when it releases? At this point in the MCU, everyone who is going to see it, is going to see it, regardless of when it releases.
Yeah so much discussion on when it’s opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks