What's new

Can AVIA calibrate HD 1080i? (1 Viewer)

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
I've just got HDTV on my XBR and been noticing that the picture is exremely bright, probably because there are a lot more lines of resolution lighting up the screen, expecially on hockey games(ice= white!).

I've calibrated the set using AVIA and my DVD player, but that is 480p. Is there a way to calibrate for 1080i material?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You will want to get Digital Video Essentials which is coming out in June 2003. I know that is a bit of a wait but I plan on buying this little jem to do my HDTV calibraiton as well. I also am using AVIA currently although I only have the FPTV setup for 480i/480p right now.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What will DVE have (that Avia doesn't) that allows for HDTV calibration? In any case you'd need to upconvert the 480i or 480p signal from your DVD player to 540p or 1080i and feed it into your HDTV. I know some HD STBs can do this by feeding your DVD player into a VCR, then feeding the cable coax into the STB, but I don't know if all STBs can do this.

I know some ISF calibrators (Michael TLV, Gregg Loewen) have HD signal generators they use to calibrate the HD inputs. They have VE/Avia like patterns built in and they output a 1080i (or 720p) signal.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks