Calibration confusion

Discussion in 'Displays' started by seth_petry_john, Oct 20, 2003.

1. seth_petry_john

I've been trying to figure this out on my own, but I'm not having a bunch of luck. So, I'm going to ask you guys for a little further help.

I have a Toshiba 57h82 TV, and I recently purchased the Avia and DVE calibration discs to calibrate the display settings. At first, I expected that I could just plug the DVD player into each input that I use and and calibrate them in turn. (I use 2 component and 1 S-Video inputs on the set)

However, in another thread I was told that the calibration is for the SIGNAL, not the INPUT. i.e. if I calibrate a 480p signal on one input, than I can apply those settings to any other input that also receives a 480p signal and get the same performance. (My set has a different settings memory for each input)

So here's where I get confused:

1) Is it true that if I calibrate for a 480i signal on one input I can apply those same settings to another input that also receives a 480i signal?

2) I have Time Warner digital high-def cable. This is essentially the same as normal digital cable at *I think* 480i resolution. However, there are also 5 or 6 channels that are broadcast in HD. How do I calibrate for an input that may receive signals at different resolutions? i.e. if I make it look great at 480i, might it be off at 1080i?

3) If the calibration is done for the signal resolution, how do I calibrate for a high def signal? i.e. if my DVD player only puts out a 480p signal, how do I calibrate for a 1080i signal?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Seth

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

To properly calibrate for HD ... you require HD test patterns.

The theory is that each input is fairly consistent when it comes to the actual type ...

Like if you had 5 inputs all with S-video ... then doing the calibration on input 1 should translate to 2,3,4,5 ... if you move the signal to the other locations and match settings.

Ditto for 480i via component ...

480p via component ...

Sometimes internal variations cause slight to more obvious changes.

Regards

3. seth_petry_john

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The answer points to itself. HD signal generator. A DVHS outputting HD patterns ...

A DVI DVD outputting 1080i or 720P ... (not as good but better than nothing.)

Regards

5. seth_petry_john