What's new

Bond 20 - Die Another Day (official title) (1 Viewer)

John Stockton

Second Unit
Dharmesh

My friend basically told me the same thing. The new films starring Brosnan do not deserve Barry's music. It was great having him score one of Timothy Dalton's Bond films. I have the feeling its not about money. I think it is more about Barry wanting complete and absolute control over all aspects including picking the singer to do the title song, but I am not sure. He is an expert in using themes of the title song throughout the score of the film.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I haven't read this thread, since I'm not really interested in the film, so I apologize if this has been mentioned.

I read in the paper today that Madonna has signed on to do the theme song for this film. I have to wonder how that will come off, since she did one for Austin Powers, a Bond parody.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
My friend basically told me the same thing. The new films starring Brosnan do not deserve Barry's music. It was great having him score one of Timothy Dalton's Bond films. I have the feeling its not about money. I think it is more about Barry wanting complete and absolute control over all aspects including picking the singer to do the title song, but I am not sure. He is an expert in using themes of the title song throughout the score of the film.
Is Barry getting much work these days? I wonder if he sent a demo to the producers? Would be nice to have Arnold take a break and let Bazza in.
Arnold's music is a bit too frentic, whereas Barry is much more controlled and doesn't throw everything at the picture. Over-the-top electronic beats don't help matters, still, it does make for good driving music :D

John Stockton

Second Unit
There is no doubt that John Barry is the most suited for the Bond films. He unfortunately, has not been working much lately, for what reason(s),? I don't know. I think Micheal Wilson and Barbara Broccoli are just being stubborn not letting him contribute to the films anymore. Like I said, the series has not been the same in his absence.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
As far as I know Mr.Barry isn't involved with the films anymore because he may be retired, he's getting up there in age now. A featurette on the View To A Kill dvd about the music of Bond has John Barry himself saying he heard David Arnold's re-mixing of his themes and liked them. I heard him quote something along the lines of "you should use this guy, he's got it down". Eric Serra's score for Goldeneye was great too by the way.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks