What's new

Pre-Order USHE Press Release: No Time To Die (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The studio listed is Studio Distribution Services which is the joint venture of Universal and Warner Bros so I assume this is being released by Universal. Probably means it will be available at gruv.com and they usually have good sales.
I may be wrong about gruv.com having this title as I see Warner Bros is now releasing MGM product and the other Bonds show Warner Bros as the studio in the Amazon listings.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Warner is distributing select MGM catalog titles on physical media which includes Bonds 1-24. The current Bond (#25) was made under a separate deal with Universal, and the terms of that deal gives Universal physical media distribution rights.

Under the MGM/Warner deal, it is up to MGM to choose which titles to release in which format, just as it was MGM’s decision when Fox had been their previous distributor. (Just want to state that before the inevitable, “Warner is evil for not releasing Bond on UHD” posts. Warner is merely the distributor.)

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Guess no 3D edition, at least in the States.
Since it's being released on disc by Warner Brothers perhaps their is a slim chance we may see it. It sucks if we can't find a 3D copy somewhere in the world.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The official press release has been announced this morning. See the first post in this thread.

Never thought I would see the day where Universal is behind the home release of a James Bond film

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Universal distributed the film theatrically in international markets, so it seems natural to me that they would be the worldwide home video distributor. There was also a slightly different gun barrel sequence in international markets with the Universal logo involved.

I will of course be picking this up to complete my collection of the Craig era Bond films. But it is too bad there is no commentary track. I really would have liked to hear a discussion of some of the creative choices made in this film.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Universal distributed the film theatrically in international markets, so it seems natural to me that they would be the worldwide home video distributor. There was also a slightly different gun barrel sequence in international markets with the Universal logo involved.

I will of course be picking this up to complete my collection of the Craig era Bond films. But it is too bad there is no commentary track. I really would have liked to hear a discussion of some of the creative choices made in this film.

I think only the US had that opening. In Canada, we had the Universal one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think only the US had that opening. In Canada, we had the Universal one.
That would be because United Artists Releasing (MGM) only distributes films in the United States. Universal took everywhere else in the world.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Warner is distributing select MGM catalog titles on physical media which includes Bonds 1-24. The current Bond (#25) was made under a separate deal with Universal, and the terms of that deal gives Universal physical media distribution rights.
I wonder if this arrangement precludes No Time to Die from being sold in a box set with any of the other Bond films? They usually update the box set with every new film. In particular, it would also make sense for a five-film collection of the Daniel Craig era to be made available because these five films are serialized and connected.

On another note, I know my copy of Spectre is distributed by Warner Bros. as the WB logo is on the back of the package, but the disc itself still includes the 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. So they are still using the same version that Fox originally authored.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

How did the distribution rights of this film move away from the traditional UA/MGM/Sony to Universal? I'm actually glad they did, as Disney won't have its slimy little fingers in there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
UA/MGM/Sony are not associated with Disney, and had Sony decided to continue partnering with MGM/UA, that would still be the case. For a while, before Disney owned Fox, Fox distributed select MGM titles on physical media. They released what MGM wanted, when MGM wanted. Warner is MGM’s new distribution partner and the same terms remain in effect - Warner distributes physical media releases of MGM’s choosing under MGM’s direction. Park Circus was and is the theatrical distributor for repertory content from MGM. The Disney bashing is unwarranted in this context.

The Sony partnership expired after Spectre. It was not a particularly good deal for Sony, being worth more bragging rights than profit - it was something along the lines of Sony had to pay 50% of the film’s costs but was only entitled to 25% of the profits. Sony was not eager to re-up on similar terms but Universal was.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’ll pick this one up eventually but I’m not in a hurry to do so.

I think there will be some other 007 4k sets coming in 2022 for the 60th anniversary.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For @Dick , to go on a slight tangent, here is the Park Circus webpage indicating that they control theatrical distribution of Some Like It Hot:

Disney is not associated with MGM/UA at this time.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
For @Dick , to go on a slight tangent, here is the Park Circus webpage indicating that they control theatrical distribution of Some Like It Hot:

The 4k disc of Some Like it Hot from kino is a day 1 purchase in January.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I will contact Jeannie MacDonald (the woman who is presenting the Billy Wilder feastival and who indicated that Disney has killed theatrical bookings of SLIH) with your information. She is a Hollywood insider, so I'm surprised she did not know about Park Circus.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hadn't noticed before that the press release says the "Being James Bond" retrospective documentary is on the 4K UHD only.

That is unfortunate and makes me feel undervalued as a Blu-ray customer.

I would really like to have that, but I am not equipped to play 4K discs. It sounds like in order to watch that I would have to buy not only the 4K release of the film but also a 4K TV and player. I'm not prepared to do that.

Oh well.

I've got my pre-order in for the regular Blu-ray version because that's all I can play and I still want the film, but it is too bad that they are excluding what sounds like a terrific supplement from Blu-ray only owners.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I hadn't noticed before that the press release says the "Being James Bond" retrospective documentary is on the 4K UHD only.

That is unfortunate and makes me feel undervalued as a Blu-ray customer.

I would really like to have that, but I am not equipped to play 4K discs. It sounds like in order to watch that I would have to buy not only the 4K release of the film but also a 4K TV and player. I'm not prepared to do that.

Oh well.

I've got my pre-order in for the regular Blu-ray version because that's all I can play and I still want the film, but it is too bad that they are excluding what sounds like a terrific supplement from Blu-ray only owners.
Why not buy the 4K set that includes the Blu-ray? When/if you upgrade you'll have the disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why not buy the 4K set that includes the Blu-ray? When/if you upgrade you'll have the disc.
Good question.

It seems like the Blu-ray inside the 4K package is barebones. The Blu-ray+DVD individually will have a bonus disc featuring the other bonus content, but not the Being James Bond doc. So if I buy the 4K disc now, I deny myself access to all available bonus features. This is Bill Hunt's review for The Digital Bits (I haven't seen any others just yet.)

If I expected to upgrade to 4K in the near future, I would probably go ahead and get the 4K set now. But I don't think that is going to happen, so taking the Blu-ray version with some extras is better than taking the 4K one and not getting anything I can use.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think we've discussed this before, but while you would need a 4K player to play a 4K disc, you do not need a 4K display to view them. You can play 4K content on a non-4K display, it just will not be displayed in 4K, but in regular HD.

4K players can be had for less than $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks