What's new

Anyone reviewed the new JVC DLA-HD2K? (1 Viewer)

Gaurang

Grip
Has anyone reviewed the 'new' JVC DLA-HD2K?

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...&feature_id=01

It has 3 HD DILA chips with 1920 X 1080 resolution. Many broadcasts are in 1080i / 1080p formats and this projector would display it in all its grandeur. Its interesting that it doesn't specify the lumens, but the brochure does say it supports larger screen sizes ( > 120").

Are there any other projectors in this class of resolution?
Are they more affordable? This JVC projector has an MSRP of ~$30K!

Gaurang

Grip
BTW it does have some very great features, like split modules to reduce the projector weight & size, 2000:1 contrast, etc. Click on the link above.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there have been reviews out on this one, I'm not sure about published reviews, but there are good discussions on certain other forums written up by knowledgeable people and owners.

This unit is in the same boat as the sony Qualia, which is SXRD (sony's version of LCOS), at the same resolution, and same pricepoint.

The sony in it's high contrast mode is about the same as the JVC, but you can turn the bulb up/open the iris on the sony for lower contrast picture, but for bright viewing for those sporting events, etc.

Both are very very close in performance, the JVC has slightly slower panel response time, which can hide artifacts, while the Qualia may be slightly more resolving in the time domain, which is a mixed blessing. The JVC also has lower ANSI-CR.

Both are stunning, and in my opinion a large step above 720 3-chip DLPS. They are the first digitals that really reach the levels of video that are attained by 9inch CRTs, but for the one significant lack which is on/off CR which the DLPs do better, but still not near CRT CR levels. It is the smoothness and high resolution (no pixels at all from viewing position) that really mimics the film-like picture of CRT better than any DLPs I've ever seen.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The projector's good for 500 ANSI lumens.

Yup, Five hundred.

I saw it projected in a dark room on a 16'x9' screen, and it was glorious.

Leo Kerr

Gaurang

Grip
Thanks for the info Leo & Chris!
500 seems to be low for projecting on a 16'x9' screen.

The brochure on the JVC website has 2000:1 contrast ratio, which seems pretty good! (may not be great as compared to the CRTs)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In a dark room, it looks great, though.

The JVC engineers were a little surprised, too, when they saw the specs, and they saw the size that JVC corporate wanted them to use...

Leo Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks