What's new

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For some context about why folks would pay prices like this to begin with: JVCs are well regarded in the projector space for their decent contrast, satisfying black-level (for a projector) and silky, film-like image (LCOS) with no rainbow artifacting (3-chip) and these are true native 4K chips.
I don't think anyone participating in this thread would dispute JVC's relative superiority compared to their competition and they don't need to justify their prices to me. It's a simple matter of whether or not the market will bear them. 10K plus is simply more than I am willing to invest in a piece of hardware that will likely lose 50% of it's resale value within a year or two of ownership. If they can find enough takers at current prices then good for them. Haste is the enemy of value so I'll be [potentially] holding out for a used or refurbed model down the line.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hey Folks,

Just an FYI that this is really nothing more than the former NX5 with updated HDMI 2.1 as it can now display 4K120Hz. So if you're really interested in 4K120 gaming and you'd like to game on the same projector that you watch movies on, it's a decent fit (lag is also lower than the previous NX5). Other than that... basically a glorified NX5 which can be had for under $5K if you look around. So if you're not planning to do lots of 4K120Hz gaming, then go with the NX5 (which can do 4K60Hz).
Fixed (short) syncing is a key feature for me considering the NP5 and rejecting the NX5/7/9.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fixed (short) syncing is a key feature for me considering the NP5 and rejecting the NX5/7/9.
What is the advantage of that? I only check up on projectors from time to time, so I'm not familiar with all of the new features some of them have.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What is the advantage of that? I only check up on projectors from time to time, so I'm not familiar with all of the new features some of them have.
Not having the screen and sound blank out for 15 to 30 seconds while the projector syncs to the new frame rate.

My Sony has a ~3 second sync time and I find that on the edge of too long. The 15+ second sync time for current JVC would drive me nuts. When I happen to watch a movie’s special features, having it blank for 15 seconds repeatedly for every single 3 minute deleted scene and featurette. Just no.

I watch multiple shows or movies almost daily. Occasionally, a large number of short programs in a single sitting. Long sync times for me are nails on the chalkboard.

Last edited:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah good point... the new NZ series pretty much lock on to any signal changes within a second or two (or so it seems) which I've heard is a big improvement over the HDMI signal change delays on the NX line (which only became a problem after one of the later updates I heard).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That incredibly slow/long synch time of the NX series would definitely drive me nuts.

Not sure what it is for my Epson 5050UB (as I've never actually timed it), but it's probably also right around 3 secs... and I do find it a bit annoying at times (and I haven't even bothered watching any short extra features at all, IIRC)...

Glad I didn't end up springing for the NX5 like I originally wanted before ending up w/ the Epson at ~1/2 the price to hold me over for the next few years (or more) -- that ridiculous synch time would definitely drive plenty of buyer's remorse for me...

There are always other worthwhile upgrades/expenditures that could use the $$$ saved me thinks... unless one has zero concerns/need for budgeting...

_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is that long sync time a feature of the NX series or just the result of an f'd up update? I could probably live with a slower sync rate if I could find a good one for the right price.

As far as it goes for requirements in a projector LCOS and native 4K are non-negotiable.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Is that long sync time a feature of the NX series or just the result of an f'd up update? I could probably live with a slower sync rate if I could find a good one for the right price.

As far as it goes for requirements in a projector LCOS and native 4K are non-negotiable.
The sync time has always been very long on these.
I do not find it to be much of an issue when watching a movie but of course it can be annoying at times.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My impression is JVC has had long sync times for years and multiple generations, from the start of the NX line and also the immediately preceding RS series.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And for users that don't use framerate matching to source but instead have the playback device (e.g. AppleTV) use a fixed framerate and match all content to that, syncing times are a non issue.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
this strategy is very similar to the last JVC model launch with the RS1000, 2000 and 3000 PJs, they also released the RS540 at that time with a lower price point.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And for users that don't use framerate matching to source but instead have the playback device (e.g. AppleTV) use a fixed framerate and match all content to that, syncing times are a non issue.
Sync time is an issue when switching between HDR and SDR. Of course the AppleTV could take care of that, too but we would not really want to watch content with fake HDR or at least I wouldn't!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
this strategy is very similar to the last JVC model launch with the RS1000, 2000 and 3000 PJs, they also released the RS540 at that time with a lower price point.
But wasn’t the first increase a year later, not a couple months? And not while pre-orders were still struggling to get delivered?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
But wasn’t the first increase a year later, not a couple months? And not while pre-orders were still struggling to get delivered?
different issues: 1. base model projector 2. price increase.

Manufacturers have to change pricing all the time due to changing currency rates, pricing of parts, labor, shipping costs etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks