What's new

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The JVC DLA-RS3100 (also known as the NZ8 when sold to professional customers) builds on JVC’s success with their previous NX series of projectors, but adds several new features that make a large difference. JVC’s 2022 lineup of laser projectors starts with the DLA-RS2100 (or NZ7) which retails for $10,999 and is topped by the DLA-RS4100 (or NZ9) which retails for $25,999. The DLA-RS3100 (or NZ8) is JVC’s middle model in their new lineup, retailing for $15,999.95.
With their most recent revision of their projector lineup, JVC has brought solid state BLU-Escent laser light sources to all three models, a tremendous technological advance in terms of light source longevity and contrast capabilities. JVC claims that the laser diode has a lifespan of 20,000 hours, equivalent to watching a 2.5-hour movie every day for 20 years, before its brightness reduces to half. The primary difference between the RS3100 and its more expensive sibling the RS4100 are in light output and lens. The step...

Continue reading...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Great review, Dave! I've had my NZ8 for about a month and echo most of your comments. It's a truly amazing piece of technology and, while I know value is relative, worth it's admittedly hefty price in my view.

I personally found the remote "acceptable" since, as you noted, the menu system is largely intuitive once you get used to it anyway. What I did notice, however, was the noise the projector begins to make once eshift-X is enabled. It's not a real issue as it's not audible at moderate listening levels but it still surprised me.

I don't have a SpectraCal. Do you think the Autocal/SpyderX calibration option is worthwhile

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice summary. I’m an RS3100 owner as well. In my case I use a Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 I have had in my Theater and used on a couple previous JVC projectors. I’ve used a number of Lumagen Video processor models, trading up for new models over the years. While the Lumagen allowed me to get a much better HDR/UHD image from the RS500 that didn’t have native 4k, the added investment would be a much more difficult purchase decision to justify when used with the new JVC’s.

I have had my projector professionally calibrated but used factory settings initially without the Lumagen in the chain and the image was amazing. I think the high majority of owners would be more than happy with the performance as is and JVC Auto Cal would make it even better. A full SDR and HDR Calibration using the Lumagen with its DTM took it up a notch and I already owned the LRP. I also use a Panamorph DCR-J1 anamorphic lens in my system, an add on I was already using with a previous model JVC. My aspect ratio priority is for scope content and I use it for the brightness boost. One of the reasons I choose the RS3100 over the RS2100 was for the option to use the color filter for a wider color gamut but this comes at a cost of less light output. With the DCR-J1 in place, I still have plenty of light for HDR and run my RS3100 on mid-laser on an ST130 G4, 115” x 49” (125”) screen.

I initially choose not to use any Laser Dimming due to muted Highlights. I’ve been using the new Mode 3 and that is no longer an issue. As for the remote, I’m so used to it from previous JVC models I never gave it a second thought. Plus, I have not touched it since everything was set up. The Harmony Elite is all I need. Compared to previous JVC models, mode switching seems much faster. I don’t remember if the LRP adds to or lessons the delay. I don’t notice any fan noise but in a silent room eShift has a different pitched low buzz I didn’t notice on previous models. I understand this can vary by unit or some may be more sensitive to it. With content it is never noticeable. My projector is mounted around 7 feet behind me in a cabinet behind the rear wall with the front open just enough to slide the projector through that may mute some projector noise but not much.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Great review, Dave! I've had my NZ8 for about a month and echo most of your comments. It's a truly amazing piece of technology and, while I know value is relative, worth it's admittedly hefty price in my view.

I personally found the remote "acceptable" since, as you noted, the menu system is largely intuitive once you get used to it anyway. What I did notice, however, was the noise the projector begins to make once eshift-X is enabled. It's not a real issue as it's not audible at moderate listening levels but it still surprised me.

I don't have a SpectraCal. Do you think the Autocal/SpyderX calibration option is worthwhile
I think Auto calibration is well worth it. Someone actually wrote a custom DLL for it so you can use other colorimeters. I was able to use my SpectraCal C6 (which is an i1 DisplayPro with the JVC software after doing so. You can read all about that here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks