What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
JVC has announced the forthcoming release of another entry-level D-ILA projector aimed a “broader audience”, and priced at $6,999.95. The lamp-based model is 4K/120p compatible and can accommodate HDR10+ content. The new DLA-NP5/DLA-RS1100 (depending on territory) includes the company’s acclaimed deep black D-ILA chip, and adds to the previously announced 2022 line of laser-based  projectors.

HDR10+ compatibility can achieve dynamic tone mapping, while 48Gbps HDMI connectivity and HDCP 2.3 content protection mean the new beamer satisfies many of the must-have features for the foreseeable future. The 0.69-inch D-ILA chip, as used on JVC’s premium models, will deliver native 4K images unlike much of the competition using pixel-shifting technologies. The new projector can achieve 1,900 lumen brightness with a 265W ultra-high pressure mercury lamp, and boasts a native contrast ratio of 40,000:1. Both HDR10 and HDR10+ support BT2020 color gamut, and the HLG broadcasting format are...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Am interested in reviews. I take it this is the NX5 successor (the “NZ5”) we were expecting? If this were $5000 MSRP, I think I’d pre-order without hesitation. At $7000 MSRP, I’m still in analysis paralysis for 4K projector upgrade.

I don‘t feel strongly about lamp vs projector. But I want to know what tricks this has to play for dynamic contrast, lacking laser dimming and no mention of dynamic iris (which the NX5 lacked).

I am still struggling to get oriented in this new world of old tech costing more. This looks like the 2018 NX5 for 2020 NX7 prices, albeit with 2022 40Gbps HDMI 2.2 electronics.

But if reviews are good and there was $6000 street pricing, this might be the set of compromises I want sooner than later.

Looking forward to learning more.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Am interested in reviews. I take it this is the NX5 successor (the “NZ5”) we were expecting? If this were $5000 MSRP, I think I’d pre-order without hesitation. At $7000 MSRP, I’m still in analysis paralysis for 4K projector upgrade.

I don‘t feel strongly about lamp vs projector. But I want to know what tricks this has to play for dynamic contrast, lacking laser dimming and no mention of dynamic iris (which the NX5 lacked).

I am still struggling to get oriented in this new world of old tech costing more. This looks like the 2018 NX5 for 2020 NX7 prices, albeit with 2022 40Gbps HDMI 2.2 electronics.

But if reviews are good and there was $6000 street pricing, this might be the set of compromises I want sooner than later.

Looking forward to learning more.

JVC requires MPP pricing from dealers as of October 1st 2021. MSRP is the street price. JVC has announced there will be a price increase for all projectors February 1st. I don't think that will include the NP5 but pricing for all the laser models will go up. This is something Sony and Epson have had in place for years.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
JVC requires MPP pricing from dealers as of October 1st 2021. MSRP is the street price. JVC has announced there will be a price increase for all projectors February 1st. I don't think that will include the NP5 but pricing for all the laser models will go up. This is something Sony has had in place for years.
The $10k NZ7 is getting a further price increase >$10k in three weeks?!?! :blink::angry::huh:

Do you have a link to that announcement? I can’t find anything on it with a quick search.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
JVC's view of the world is badly skewed if they consider a $7,000 anything "entry level".

Even teenagers getting their first "entry level" car seldom spend $7,000.
It's a niche product in a niche market.

I know for a fact that JVC isn't making crazy money on these nor do higher end projectors like the RS-series really follow economies of scale where it would be worthwhile to lower the price to let's say 5000 to sell 4 times as many - it is a small market and competitors would have to follow and then the market share would not increase much and no money would be made by anybody and the projector division would cease to exist.

And the top of the line new unit is 25k so yes, it is their entry level offering at "only" 7k, less than one third of the top model. And to stay with the car comparison even Bentley will have an entry level offering at something like 160k even though 99%+ of cars sold will cost less.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I found it declared on AVS

Will see what this does for NP5. I’m not ready to rush buy $10k NZ7 against looming price jump. Will just have to ride this out and see what happens.

I think this press release lists the prices as of February 1st.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm starting to see a gently used JVC projector in my future. Good deals are where you find them. :cool:
I'd be open to used or refurb NZ or NP. But the NX series isn't quite what I want, even for a good discount.

As much as anything, this is why I won't get the older JVC's but am excited for 2022 models.
Sync time - way faster! Like 2 - 3 seconds instead of 12 - 14 seconds. Very nice!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, if JVC wasn't making much money on these projectors then they will be making even less going.forward. A 1000.dollar increase could be the difference in the decision to.purchase for a lot of prospective buyers.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Sigh. I was already struggling to justify the NZ7 for my HT build this year, but I feel like it’s the least expensive projector I could be happy with for a long time. This price increase sucks.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Probably best to go with a low or mid-range 4K projector, then wait for 2 to 3 years for people who always have to have the latest model to dump their NZ7s on the used or refurbished market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks