What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well, if JVC wasn't making much money on these projectors then they will be making even less going.forward. A 1000.dollar increase could be the difference in the decision to.purchase for a lot of prospective buyers.
We are living in strange times but compared to their main competition which is Sony these projectors are not priced out of the market. Not good news for people who where assuming that prices on projectors would constantly go down year after year or at least stay the same but price increases seem to be the new normal.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Probably best to go with a low or mid-range 4K projector, then wait for 2 to 3 years for people who always have to have the latest model to dump their NZ7s on the used or refurbished market.
Personally I would go with a used RS1000 / NX5 - it is an excellent projector and gives the most bang for the buck. For most use cases having a lamp is no issue at all.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not good news for people who where assuming that prices on projectors would constantly go down year after year or at least stay the same but price increases seem to be the new normal.
I would say it depends. Manufacturers have the initial power as creators of the products we want and need to power our lives but consumers [collectively] have the final say as to how successful any particular product line will be. I "could" pay 10K for a projector but I won't. I believe that price point is too high and that manufacturers can do better through reduced margins, innovation or both. If enough people feel the same way and show it through their purchasing decisions then JVC [and Sony] will have no choice but to get prices down to levels we are more comfortable with or abandon the market entirely. The problem as I see it is with the "if" referenced above. Consumers rarely ever show solidarity which gives manufacturers a huge and decided advantage.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
This was a sweet announcement. Glad JVC will be offering a model that has a MSRP of less than $9999 (soon to be $10999 as of February 1).

Just remember this model will not have a color filter so it will be limited to Rec709 ish when in HDR mode.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would say it depends. Manufacturers have the initial power as creators of the products we want and need to power our lives but consumers [collectively] have the final say as to how successful any particular product line will be. I "could" pay 10K for a projector but I won't. I believe that price point is too high and that manufacturers can do better through reduced margins, innovation or both. If enough people feel the same way and show it through their purchasing decisions then JVC [and Sony] will have no choice but to get prices down to levels we are more comfortable with or abandon the market entirely. The problem as I see it is with the "if" referenced above. Consumers rarely ever show solidarity which gives manufacturers a huge and decided advantage.
I know.im my case I can't justify spending 16K Canadian (soon to be 17K or more) on a.projector, no matter how badly I would like to have a replacement for my RS2U.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
… I "could" pay 10K for a projector but I won't. I believe that price point is too high and that manufacturers can do better through reduced margins, innovation or both. …
This is where I’m at. Realistically, I can afford the NZ7 and could even swing the NZ8, with trade offs in other major purchases planned for the next few years. But, boy I really don’t feel like I want to spend that amount for this tech at this state of its lack of maturity.

My tech-rage is largely the frustration over the state of projectors. I apologize for repeating my self, but back in 2016, when top-quality HD projectors were $2500 MSRP, the vibe was top shelf 4K projectors would be in the sub $5k range in 3-5 years. Now we’re entering six years later and prices are increasing by doubling factors with incremental improvements.

It is what it is. This is the state of technology and the size of the market, apparently.

But I’m left bewildered. My budget planning. My timeline planning. All thrown out. And it’s on top of the pandemic. Literally a first-world problem, but still the sense of frustration on top of two years of suck…

On top of that, 100”+ direct views are here. And they’re price competitive with 4k projectors. Do I wait two more years and maybe get a 110” or 120” “TV” and skip the whole projector upgrade?

I’m just stuck in a loop of analysis paralysis over home 4K upgrade.

Practically. If NP5 reviews are good, I may scrounge the couch cushions for the spare change and buy it. I probably need a new screen. I probably need a contractor to deal with 4K HDMI run. It will add up to $10k+ to upgrade my theater projector to 4K.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
This was a sweet announcement. Glad JVC will be offering a model that has a MSRP of less than $9999 (soon to be $10999 as of February 1).

Just remember this model will not have a color filter so it will be limited to Rec709 ish when in HDR mode.
Correct if it is like the NX5/RS1000 in this regard but to put this in perspective the color space coverage should be quite similar to 4 out of the 6 available Sony 4k projectors that still are in their current lineup and a bit bigger than the top of line Epson so it is actually about average or even a bit above average depending on what you compare it to.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is where I’m at. Realistically, I can afford the NZ7 and could even swing the NZ8, with trade offs in other major purchases planned for the next few years. But, boy I really don’t feel like I want to spend that amount for this tech at this state of its lack of maturity.

My tech-rage is largely the frustration over the state of projectors. I apologize for repeating my self, but back in 2016, when top-quality HD projectors were $2500 MSRP, the vibe was top shelf 4K projectors would be in the sub $5k range in 3-5 years. Now we’re entering six years later and prices are increasing by doubling factors with incremental improvements.

It is what it is. This is the state of technology and the size of the market, apparently.

But I’m left bewildered. My budget planning. My timeline planning. All thrown out. And it’s on top of the pandemic. Literally a first-world problem, but still the sense of frustration on top of two years of suck…

On top of that, 100”+ direct views are here. And they’re price competitive with 4k projectors. Do I wait two more years and maybe get a 110” or 120” “TV” and skip the whole projector upgrade?

I’m just stuck in a loop of analysis paralysis over home 4K upgrade.

Practically. If NP5 reviews are good, I may scrounge the couch cushions for the spare change and buy it. I probably need a new screen. I probably need a contractor to deal with 4K HDMI run. It will add up to $10k+ to upgrade my theater projector to 4K.
I'm hearing you. I'd prefer to wait until 100' OLED set came down to some reasonable price range; however, I have to consider another projector, eventually, because they are the only means available to watch my older 3D content. If it wasn't for that fact I wouldn't bother with a projector at this stage in the display tech game.

A 106" screen is pretty well the largest screen I can fit on a wall in my house in any case. Right now, the projector and screen that I purchased years ago are sitting in boxes because the rec room theater conversion I had planned on doing got stalled.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm hearing you. I'd prefer to wait until 100' OLED set came down to some reasonable price range; however, I have to consider another projector, eventually, because they are the only means available to watch my older 3D content. If it wasn't for that fact I wouldn't bother with a projector at this stage in the display tech game.

A 106" screen is pretty well the largest screen I can fit on a wall in my house in any case. Right now, the projector and screen that I purchased years ago are sitting in boxes because the rec room theater conversion I had planned on doing got stalled.
Direct View is eroding projectors' niche, to be sure.

There will still be a place for projectors for years to come. There are some enthusiasts with 150"+ screens. For others, projectors may be the only way to get a large image -- I don't know if it would be possible to navigate a 120" set down my basement stairs. And direct view has the compromise of not allowing speakers behind the screen, which is preferred to speakers under or over the display.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Direct View is eroding projectors' niche, to be sure.

There will still be a place for projectors for years to come. There are some enthusiasts with 150"+ screens. For others, projectors may be the only way to get a large image -- I don't know if it would be possible to navigate a 120" set down my basement stairs. And direct view has the compromise of not allowing speakers behind the screen, which is preferred to speakers under or over the display.
If manufacturers really wanted to up the usefulness of rollable screens then you think they would figure out a way to allow OLED screens above 100" to be rollable. A person could buy a 120" screen rolled up in a box, allowing easy shipment and movement. It would be unrolled, mounted on a wall and then be plugged into a base unit using a cable. The speaker issue is a bit more problematic, but I can't see it being much different than what moat people do now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Long term, sure. Right now that’s still more tech demo than consumer hardware.

I also think small panels being connectable into larger displays with microLED is a future potential. But I think that’s 10 or 15 years away from mainstream.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wonder what the goal of the mandatory pricing is? I presume it’s BigCo JVC working with BigCo retailers against the small, niche retailers? But I don’t know.

For me, I’d rather buy from a friendly, not-local, small shop, that can provide better pricing than the local BestBuy chain that has inflexible pricing.

But if pricing is the same everywhere, then I’ll just go to BestBuy because they’re close and the price is the same regardless.

I know there’s an argument that says the handholding niche retailers are losing business to no-service internet companies in a race to the bottom pricing war. But I’ve never had that kind of support from a tech retailer, except for basic warranty service.

So for me this seems like a policy that will harm niche stores.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
i honestly don’t know if my preorder quote will be honored but even if it is that doesn’t help anyone else who wants one of these for less than the price of a car.
I guess it could be worse, like pre-ordering an F-150 Lightning. I've read that some Ford dealerships are raging bull charging as much as 30G over MSRP for one of those new E-pickups.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty certain this will follow the pattern of their other D-iLA projectors where 3D will be available via an optional RF emitter module.
Yes, both the former JVCs and this new series do fantastic 3D ($100 for the separate RF emitter you need to buy, and of course 3D glasses). I have the NZ8 that shared much of the same optics as this model (with laser instead of bulb) and the 3D is vivid, ghost-free, and spectacular. In fact, I have found that I prefer a good native 3D SDR HD movie to 4K HDR if given the choice. Alita: Battle Angel was an experience that left me and my guests amazed. I highly recommend anyone who's 3D enabled to watch this movie. And 3D on a projector is (IMO) the way to go as you get the immersion and field-of-view that makes 3D have the impact it's meant to have.

Last edited:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Folks,

Just an FYI that this is really nothing more than the former NX5 with updated HDMI 2.1 as it can now display 4K120Hz. So if you're really interested in 4K120 gaming and you'd like to game on the same projector that you watch movies on, it's a decent fit (lag is also lower than the previous NX5). Other than that... basically a glorified NX5 which can be had for under $5K if you look around. So if you're not planning to do lots of 4K120Hz gaming, then go with the NX5 (which can do 4K60Hz).

For some context about why folks would pay prices like this to begin with: JVCs are well regarded in the projector space for their decent contrast, satisfying black-level (for a projector) and silky, film-like image (LCOS) with no rainbow artifacting (3-chip) and these are true native 4K chips. They won't necessarily look as tack-sharp as a single-chip DLP, but for most cinephiles they will work better for watching film content given what they do well (black level, contrast, etc.)

JVC's other big claim-to-fame with these PJs is their outstanding dynamic tone mapping for HDR content... basically making HDR look great given the limited brightness in comparison to the 1000-nit direct-view displays that HDR content is typically mastered for. No other projector brand can match the quality of JVC's algorithm (you'd have to get a Lumagen processor or HDFury etc. to get better).

I just upgraded to the new laser-based NX8/RS3100 and it's stunningly good. Well mastered blu-rays look almost 4K, and good 4K is just stunning. And gaming is a blast... with no bulb to burn I just game whenever and however long I like... Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5) on my 106" screen was an experience.

One other thing that all of these JVCs do (that not all other PJs do) is that they have lens-memory for the motorized zoom/focus/shift... so if you wanted to use a screen other than 16x9... like a 2.40:1 screen for scope movies and then "zoom back down" for 16x9 content to be windowboxed (to avoid cropping or stretching 16x9 content) a press of a button on the remote will make the adjustment. So there is no need for $$$ outboard scalers or $$$ anamorphic lenses (unless you want them)... just your projector and your screen and you you're on your way. That's my next step... about to order a 2.40:1 screen so, finally, Lord of the Rings and Ben Hur will be *** bigger *** than 1.85 movies instead of smaller.

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks