What's new

Any word on a fixed version of "The Hobbit" DVD? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
While I'm not a huge fan of Tolkien's Middle-Earth saga, I did very much enjoy the animated version of "The Hobbit."

"The Hobbit" was released on DVD by Warner Bros. A little over a year ago. It was a decent disc in most respects, but it had one HUGE flaw with the soundtrack. For some reason — and I can't fathom how this could possibly have happened — most of the sound effects are simply missing. All the music and dialogue are there, but no sound effects.

The issue has been brought up on this forum before, but as far as I know, nothing has come of it. As popular as "The Lord of the Rings" is right now (thanks to Jackson's hit movie trilogy"), I think it would behoove Warner to fix the disc and repromote it. Whatever they choose to do, this currently-available disc is seriously flawed and SOMETHING needs to be done.

I bought the disc in spite of the problem, but I haven't even opened it yet. I just can't bring myself to watch it this way; it really ruins the experience for me. I was also going to purchase "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Return of the Kind" to complete my animated Tolkien collection on DVD, but I haven't even bothered. It just doesn't seem worth it to me without a watchable version of "The Hobbit."

I know there are other fans of this fine television production here at the Home Theater Forum. Is there anything we can do to get a proper release of "The Hobbit" on DVD?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'd love a fixed version too. I noticed the missing sound effects the first time I popped it in to watch...sounded nothing like the double-LP set I own which should be a 100% identical soundtrack!

What I'd *really* love is for the LOTR guys to film a live-action version of the Hobbit before they trash all their New Zealand sets. Who's with me?

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmdexcavation
Recent bookmarks