What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
ULTIMATE – You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Warner’s 31-disc “Ultimate” collector’s edition of Peter Jackson’s Middle-Earth Saga brings his six Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films (theatrical and extended cuts) together on both 4K and Blu-ray for the first time. Perhaps that is what Warner means by “Ultimate” when referring to this set, because my definition of “Ultimate” would mean including all previous special features plus a few new ones, and that is where this set becomes a major letdown.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Released: 19 Dec 2001
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 178 min

Director: Peter Jackson
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy

Cast: Alan Howard, Noel Appleby, Sean Astin, Sala Baker
Writer(s): J.R.R. Tolkien (novel), Fran Walsh (screenplay), Philippa Boyens...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
One small correction: The theatrical Lord of the Rings cuts were issued with Dolby EX and DTS-ES 6.1 mixes originally as well.

Also wow they botched this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for your review. I think most of us are better off just purchasing the 4K sets that came out last December. It's going to be a lot cheaper as the benefits from this combined six-movie collection just isn't significant enough for me to buy the more expensive 4k disc release. There might be some discounted opportunities for the 2020 releases during the next month or so.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I passed on last year's 4k releases, knowing that this was coming and the promise that it would be an "ultimate" collection. Now, if I want the films in 4k (and i do), I have to buy an overpriced set with little in the way of bonus features. At $260, this set prices each film at $40 each! That's a lot for films that I've bought multiple times over 20 years. To think, I passed on the 4k steelbooks because I thought $30 per film was a lot.

Warner used to be good at this. Used to.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You guys are way too hard on Warners. I applaud them for saving me a ton of money. If they had made this a good release, I would have bought it and paid about $200. Since they screwed up the incredibly simple task of including already existing bonus discs, I can just buy the previous UHD releases for a total of $125 (or less- who knows what Black Friday sales may bring) whenever I see those ones on sale. Thanks, Warners- your ineptitude saved me at least $75!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys are way too hard on Warners. I applaud them for saving me a ton of money. If they had made this a good release, I would have bought it and paid about $200. Since they screwed up the incredibly simple task of including already existing bonus discs, I can just buy the previous UHD releases for a total of $125 (or less- who knows what Black Friday sales may bring) whenever I see those ones on sale. Thanks, Warners- your ineptitude saved me at least $75!
Don't lump me in with Sam as I feel the same way as you do.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I thought that when the initial 4K discs ( I ended up buying the LOTR set) were released they would be bare bones, and was told by many to wait for the definitive edition as that would include all the special features previously released on other discs. What a letdown.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I know I’m probably in the minority, but the only extra I actually watch over and over is the trailers. In my youth, I would purchase the deluxe, ultimate, collectors, etc… editions to get all the extras. I’ve found that in most cases I never actually watch most if any of the extras provided. Therefore, I’m cool with this release as long as the presentation is stellar. Don’t have time to watch the rest. 😬

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know I’m probably in the minority, but the only extra I actually watch over and over is the trailers. In my youth, I would purchase the deluxe, ultimate, collectors, etc… editions to get all the extras. I’ve found that in most cases I never actually watch most if any of the extras provided. Therefore, I’m cool with this release as long as the presentation is stellar. Don’t have time to watch the rest. 😬
I might be in the minority too, but I rarely watch trailers. It’s just not my thing, but I love good audio commentaries.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
What's most aggravating to me is that Jackson has stated many times over the years that he purposely saved some of the best material (additional deleted scenes, behind the scenes, etc). for a true "ultimate" release. Warner declined to budget including that material on the blu-rays and now it looks like we may never see it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you don't care about the extras, you definitely want to go with the two trilogy UHD sets released last year because they're significantly cheaper and you get the same UHDs as included in this set. About the only reason to get this is for either the small number of new special features or if you really want Blu-rays using the new transfers.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If you don't care about the extras, you definitely want to go with the two trilogy UHD sets released last year because they're significantly cheaper and you get the same UHDs as included in this set. About the only reason to get this is for either the small number of new special features or if you really want Blu-rays using the new transfers.
The remastered Blu-rays are also being sold separately in trilogy sets.

Last edited:

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
A surprisingly botched set from Warner, glad I purchased the 4K stripped down editions when they were on sale. Nobody who knows anything will buy this. How disappointing. Good news-Warner saved me a ton of money.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
There will be tons of these next Prime Day 2022 discounted next to nothing, if not earlier. Then and only then would I ever consider. No one wants this- it’s universally reviled. Especially after what Peter Jackson promised.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dear Warner and other studios who I am sure are involved: Please call it ultimate if and when you actually put in some real effort to bring these to UHD Blu-ray in the quality that these movies deserve.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Dear Warner and other studios who I am sure are involved: Please call it ultimate if and when you actually put in some real effort to bring these to UHD Blu-ray in the quality that these movies deserve.
To be fair, the presentation quality of the films are excellent. Calling this set "Ultimate" but not including most of the previously available special features is not anywhere near "ultimate."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks