What's new

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
:cheers:

BTW, you been getting ready for that supposed blizzard coming this afternoon? :oops: Just got back from a short Mohonk getaway last night ahead of it... Well, at least it shouldn't flood our ground floor or the like, LOL, but our kids probably ate thru our supply of fresh foods, so... :P

Stay warm and be well...

_Man_
Love Mohonk. Beautiful getaway although a bit pricey.

Yeah we’re hunkering down for the storm. Hopefully won’t be as bad as they’re predicting. Take care.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Bill Hunt knows who butters his bread...I have zero skin in this.

The implication that critics praise product because "they know who butters their bread" was odious and tiresome 20 years ago and it's not improved with age.

As someone who's written disc reviews for nearly 22 years, I can say 100% that I don't praise products because the studio sent them to me.

If Bill Hunt or anyone else clearly did that on a regular basis, they'd be lambasted and would lose their audience. People who read reviews are savvy enough to be able to tell a shill.

A disagreement is not an argument...

Disagreement: when I oppose what someone else says.

Argument: when some jerk opposes what I say. :lol:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Other people commenting here with positive reviews have zero skin in this too.

Like I said, I hate the myth that those of us in the review biz kowtow to the studios and praise products that don't deserve it.

Uniformity of opinions of movie presentation quality doesn't exist. Oh, there are some discs that come closer to universal agreement than others, but one person's "that Blu-ray looks like crap" could be another's "that Blu-ray looks great!"

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Like I said, I hate the myth that those of us in the review biz kowtow to the studios and praise products that don't deserve it.

Uniformity of opinions of movie presentation quality doesn't exist. Oh, there are some discs that come closer to universal agreement than others, but one person's "that Blu-ray looks like crap" could be another's "that Blu-ray looks great!"

I'm not familiar with your site and reviews, sorry, so I'm not going to comment, and haven't. The Digital Bits however is less of a review site than it is a "breaking news", "CNN-type" site about new and upcoming releases, industry happenings, etc. It's changed since its inception - a lot. Bill always talks about his "insider" connections/contacts and this and that. I have no doubt he has these contacts to get his news, which is fine. No trouble with that at all. But I don't trust any of his reviews. He's gotten so many things wrong over the years, it's comical. TBH, I don't read reviews in general. I trust what I see with my trained eyes on my reference monitors and 3D LUT calibrated TVs. I smile a bit when I read reviews of 4K HDR on a projector as one example. All I'm interested in when deciding to purchase a disc are the basics - new transfer from what source, is the BD included with the new UHD and older one or from the same master, and stuff like this.

I read RAH's posts because of his background and insight into different areas of film releases, not just the IQ. This is the only exception. To each his own.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I do think that people will have different levels of contentment with these releases, but I cannot agree that it's all subjective. Decisions were made to apply a lot of DNR for various reasons (blending in with CGI, having a similar look across all three films, etc.), and I'm not criticizing the reasons. I just happen to dislike the end result compromise. I think that's what it comes down to - compromises were made, and some are OK with them while others are not so much. I bought them, I enjoyed them, but there are issues. How much that affects the enjoyment of the films will differ from person to person.

I do not think that there are many who disagree that there was a substantial degree of digital tampering to achieve a certain grainless look.
It is just that most are not bothered by it.

And Peter Jackson seems to have wanted the movies to look like that so we cannot argue with that either.

We can however decide not to buy it and maybe along with that send some kind of message in the direction of Mr. Jackson to tell him why.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I do not think that there are many who disagree that there was a substantial degree of digital tampering to achieve a certain grainless look.
It is just that most are not bothered by it.

And Peter Jackson seems to have wanted the movies to look like that so we cannot argue with that either.

We can however decide not to buy it and maybe along with that send some kind of message in the direction of Mr. Jackson to tell him why.
Please keep in mind that Hobbit trilogy was shot digitally.

Dav

Auditioning
Real Name
David Green
I decided to go for the LOTR set, I’m glad I did.
The picture quality is excellent and I thought the Dolby True HD soundtrack was superb.
I’m afraid I don’t have a Dolby Atmos setup yet, something to seriously consider for the future.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just bought someone's DCs from both sets instead. Figured the DCs are probably good enough under the circumstance (and I wasn't going to get The Hobbit Trilogy in 4K at all otherwise)... although the audio might not be quite as good since it's probably only low bitrate lossy Atmos instead of lossless Atmos on the discs. I might get the LotR Trilogy on 4K discs someday if the price drops very low or they revisit the transfers again to address the PQ issues. Otherwise, the DCs I just bought will have to do for me...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok, I just finished up 5 Armies on iTunes 4K on my brand new 85” Vizio.

I watched the first 2 Hobbitses and most of 5 Armies in December on my old 3D tv and they looked great in 3D.

Got the new tv installed so didnt get a chance to watch the Armies all the way through in 3D

The last 90 minutes or so of Armies was beautiful.
If there are any things wrong there
I sure didn’t see any.

I loved the end of 5 Armies.
When Thorin speaks to Bilbo and tells him to plant his trees and watch them grow etc.
Wow.

Soon to watch the Rings Trilogy.

BTW tea is at four.
There’s plenty of it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
But what if the counter happens at a table? :rolleyes:
Then the Chair recognizes the Floor... according to Robert's Rules of Order ;)!

1609836987852.png

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody got more information on the supposed 4k scans for these?
The mixture of (relative)lack of detail, DNR and edge enhancement present in FOTR caused me to research a bit and I could not find anything specific about the work supposedly done for these.

The HDR grading is the best thing about these releases but better to sit at least 1.5 screen widths away.
Very happy that I kept my EE Blu-rays so I can watch these for the other two parts.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just ordered LOTR UHD from Amazon
(a $50 gift card Christmas present helped to buy it). Anxious to watch it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Has anybody got more information on the supposed 4k scans for these?
The mixture of (relative)lack of detail, DNR and edge enhancement present in FOTR caused me to research a bit and I could not find anything specific about the work supposedly done for these.

The HDR grading is the best thing about these releases but better to sit at least 1.5 screen widths away.
Very happy that I kept my EE Blu-rays so I can watch these for the other two parts.

That's why I decided to just buy the digitals cheaply from another HTFer instead since I didn't have those in HD before. Plus the discs don't come w/ any extras, so you'd probably want to keep the old set around anyway (unless you're fine w/ just accessing the extras thru streaming). Just wish 4K digitals would come w/ higher bitrate audio though...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozeman
Recent bookmarks