What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Middle Earth 6-Film Ultimate Collector's Edition (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
5BAE489A-6762-4942-803D-BCAB2A2F8DF0.jpeg

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT
ANNOUNCES PETER JACKSON’S
MIDDLE-EARTH
ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

31-Disc Set features the theatrical and extended versions of the six Middle-earth films in 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and on remastered Bu-ray

Ultimate Collectors’ Edition also includes Bonus Content never before released for Home Entertainment, collectible packaging, art cards, and more!
e29c74ee-a201-4ef8-95ab-12a73db9605e.jpg
BURBANK, CA, September 9, 2021 – Celebrate 20 years of adventure and friendship as Warner Bros. releases the Middle-Earth Ultimate Collector’s Edition, timed to the 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. The 31-disc Ultimate Collector’s Editionof Peter Jackson’s Middle-earth saga contains new special features along with the theatrical and extended versions of all sic films in 4K Ultra HD and on Blu-ray discs remastered from the 4K master. The Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be released on October 26.

The Ultimate Collector’s Edition includes the theatrical and extended versions of the six films from New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures in 4K UHD with HDR - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which won Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

The Ultimate Collector’s Edition comes in unique “Puzzle Box” collectible packaging and includes a 64-page booklet featuring costumes, photography and production notes from the film, and art cards featuring travel posters and images from iconic locations throughout Middle-earth including The Shire, Lake-Town, Erebor, Anduin, Rohan, Minas Trith, and Rivendell.

Also included are the original Cannes Film Festival presentation reel, and footage from the recent Alamo Drafthouse cast reunion featuring director Peter Jackson along with cast members Sean Astin, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Billy Boyd, Ian McKellan, Dominic Monaghan, Viggo Mortenson, Andy Serkis, Liv Tyler, and Elijah Wood.

4K Ultra HD** showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, and more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

Middle-Earth Ultimate Collector’s Edition contains the following special features:
  • Cannes Film Festival Presentation Reel
  • Alamo Drafthouse Cast Reunion
  • “The Fellowship of the Ring" - RT: 39:38 (with Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Sean Astin and Elijah Wood)
  • “The Two Towers" - RT: 32:24 (with Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Liv Tyler and Viggo Mortenson)
  • "The Return of the King" - RT: 29:48 (with Ian McKellan, Andy Serkis, and Peter Jackson)

BASICS
PRODUCT SRP
Ultimate Collector’s Edition
$249.99
Street Date: 10/26/2021

Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese
Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese
Rating: All films rated PG-13 except for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – Extended
Edition, which is Rated R for violence
DOLBY ATMOS [CC]

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This has 31 discs so am I right in assuming that each movie has 2 UHDs (one for the theatrical cut, one extended) and 3 Blu-rays (one theatrical, two for extended)? Then the 31st disc has the bonus features.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I promise to order this through HTF's link if you agree to update your top 30 must own 3D Blu-ray list.

First, I appreciate you or anyone preordering through the link.

I really don’t want to get off-topic here with a response. I’ll simply say that the current list still holds true. There aren’t many 3D releases anymore. What I don’t see, I read multiple reviews on. If I start reading. “This is the best 3D I have seen” I make a point of purchasing that title. Those kind of reviews I don’t read anymore.

So, bottom line, those titles on that list represent the best of what is out there.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Unfortunately it looks like if you want any new supplements for the Lord Of The Rings films (if there are any), or want existing supplements including the commentaries (if these are included with this new package), you have to buy the Hobbit films too. Not interested- the Hobbit BluRays are enough
(I won’t watch those very often).

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As The Bits points out, the Appendices are not included here, so anyone wanting the authoritative making of- docs will have to hold on to their blu-rays and/or DVDs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately it looks like if you want any new supplements for the Lord Of The Rings films (if there are any), or want existing supplements including the commentaries (if these are included with this new package), you have to buy the Hobbit films too. Not interested- the Hobbit BluRays are enough
(I won’t watch those very often).
Hell, you be better off just buying the earlier 4K set for the Lord of the Rings movies. According to Bill Hunt there is only about 90 minutes of new bonus material with this new 4K box set. I bet you can purchase that LOTR 4K set for less than $70 in the next few months.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hell, you be better off just buying the earlier 4K set for the Lord of the Rings movies. According to Bill Hunt there is only about 90 minutes of new bonus material with this new 4K box set. I bet you can purchase that LOTR 4K set for less than $70 in the next few months.
If they're $70 now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a great sale around the holidays where you can get both LOTR and The Hobbit for about $100. Ninety minutes of bonus features isn't even remotely enough to get me to 'have' to buy this set at a much higher price than the two individual sets. Especially since it's senseless that they aren't including the appendices with this set. I know the BTS and interview footage is mostly (all?) standard def but they should have included those DVDs to make this a definitive release and warrant the price tag.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Think I'll probably just settle w/ the 4K digitals (of both sets) I bought fairly cheaply from another HTFer (plus the old BDs) then -- honestly, it doesn't seem like the 4K discs are all that much better than the digitals, except maybe the lossless audio, and I'm actually not quite that big a fan of these movies anyway. Maybe someone will put that new bonus disc on eBay or something, but otherwise, I probably don't need it nearly enough...

_Man_

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the process of selling my LOTR 4K set on E-Bay. I realized that I really don't care that much for them on repeated viewings anymore.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately it looks like if you want any new supplements for the Lord Of The Rings films (if there are any), or want existing supplements including the commentaries (if these are included with this new package), you have to buy the Hobbit films too.
When the original 4K set was announced last year, I recall the Bits saying that there was going to be a 20th anniversary remastered Blu-ray only release of the Lord of the Rings trilogy scheduled for fall 2021. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet, but it's possible that if they are still planning to do that, the new extras could be included there. I agree that I am not interested in purchasing The Hobbit films.
As The Bits points out, the Appendices are not included here, so anyone wanting the authoritative making of- docs will have to hold on to their blu-rays and/or DVDs.
The presence of the Appendices are why I haven't bought the original Blu-ray edition. I'm not going to pay that much for a set that includes duplicate supplement DVDs that I don't need. I would never sell my original extended DVDs, which are so nicely packaged. But I also don't want to go back to the theatrical editions on Blu-ray because I prefer the extended ones. What I want (and what Warner Bros. has not yet provided) is an affordable edition featuring the extended versions on Blu-ray, ideally with the commentaries, and nothing else. I don't feel the need to pay $69.99 (currently) on Amazon for the Blu-ray set when it has so much duplication of what I already own and have no intention of replacing. Usually, I would applaud studios for carrying over bonus features from previous editions, but in this specific case I just want an affordable basic edition that upgrades the extended editions to Blu-ray and I'm good.

If that comes later on in 2021, I would buy it.

If it doesn't, I guess I'll continue to stick with my DVDs. I don't watch them that much anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When the original 4K set was announced last year, I recall the Bits saying that there was going to be a 20th anniversary remastered Blu-ray only release of the Lord of the Rings trilogy scheduled for fall 2021. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet, but it's possible that if they are still planning to do that, the new extras could be included there. I agree that I am not interested in purchasing The Hobbit films.
There is a new remastered Blu-ray set coming out for those movies and it's the extended version only.

The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy: Remastered Extended Edition (Warner)

Middle Earth: 6-Film Ultimate Collector’s Edition (4K/UHD) (Warner)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm in the process of selling my LOTR 4K set on E-Bay. I realized that I really don't care that much for them on repeated viewings anymore.

I never got the 4K discs but I rewatched the Blu-rays last summer to help decide whether to buy again and realized that, for the most part, I didn’t enjoy seeing the films again. I will always appreciate being there when they first came out but I’m surprised and sorry to say that I too am kinda over it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never got the 4K discs but I rewatched the Blu-rays last summer to help decide whether to buy again and realized that, for the most part, I didn’t enjoy seeing the films again. I will always appreciate being there when they first came out but I’m surprised and sorry to say that I too am kinda over it.
So you didn't see these films in a movie theater? I love these films and was there at midnight back in the day.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, it's mostly my kids (and maybe the sporadic visiting friend) who still want to watch them all that much. I usually just go along for the ride w/ them, but almost never choose them for myself -- there are usually too many other movies (and lately, TV shows) I'd rather watch...

Good to have in my collection (in some quality form), but don't really need them on 4K discs, especially since they probably don't look that much better, if at all, than the 4K digitals even projected at 120"...

What I want (and what Warner Bros. has not yet provided) is an affordable edition featuring the extended versions on Blu-ray, ideally with the commentaries, and nothing else. I don't feel the need to pay $69.99 (currently) on Amazon for the Blu-ray set when it has so much duplication of what I already own and have no intention of replacing. Usually, I would applaud studios for carrying over bonus features from previous editions, but in this specific case I just want an affordable basic edition that upgrades the extended editions to Blu-ray and I'm good.

Ummm... besides what Crawdaddy mentioned about a new remastered BD set, there's already long been a BD set of what you wanted:

Most of us already have that set... though it has its issues/controversies, so at this point, you're probably best off waiting for that new remastered version instead... although I imagine you can get the old set more cheaply sooner -- it's certainly been cheaper at various points in the past... though probably never below ~$50 (at least on Amazon anyway)...

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So you didn't see these films in a movie theater? I love these films and was there at midnight back in the day.

I saw them in theaters at midnight back in the day too. I enjoyed them then, and then on DVDs again afterwards, I’ve owned the regular and extended versions in DVD and BD, but the last few times I’ve watched them, they just haven’t moved me anymore. I enjoyed them at the time but in the last ten years my enthusiasm for them has faded.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ummm... besides what Crawdaddy mentioned about a new remastered BD set, there's already long been a BD set of what you wanted:
I'm aware of the existence of that set. The problem with that set (and, from the look of the price, also the one that Robert linked to) is that it includes the Appendices on DVD carried over from the original extended DVDs. I'm not really interested in paying a large amount of money for carryover extras which I already own. I want the extended movies and maybe the commentaries to go with it and nothing else so that the price is cheaper. I'm going to keep the DVDs, so it's irritating to pay so much when all I really need is the extended movies in HD. I'd pay maybe $30 or $40 total for them, but the price of the box set is clearly higher because they're including the extras I already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks