What's new

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
I believe many people will have their own takes on these films. It’s an opinion.

I do think that people will have different levels of contentment with these releases, but I cannot agree that it's all subjective. Decisions were made to apply a lot of DNR for various reasons (blending in with CGI, having a similar look across all three films, etc.), and I'm not criticizing the reasons. I just happen to dislike the end result compromise. I think that's what it comes down to - compromises were made, and some are OK with them while others are not so much. I bought them, I enjoyed them, but there are issues. How much that affects the enjoyment of the films will differ from person to person.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I do think that people will have different levels of contentment with these releases, but I cannot agree that it's all subjective. Decisions were made to apply a lot of DNR for various reasons (blending in with CGI, having a similar look across all three films, etc.), and I'm not criticizing the reasons. I just happen to dislike the end result compromise. I think that's what it comes down to - compromises were made, and some are OK with them while others are not so much. I bought them, I enjoyed them, but there are issues. How much that affects the enjoyment of the films will differ from person to person.
Without any method to quantify the numbers, it's my opinion that most people will be fine with these 4K releases. I haven't bought the 4K discs yet as I'm waiting on the ultimate 4K release rumored for next year. However, I do have the 4K digitals of them on iTunes so I'm going to try to watch them either later this month or next month when I'm done with watching so many Christmas movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But they don't look great, unless your name is Bill Hunt... You really don't need an expert eye to see this.
Perhaps, but I think more people will agree with Bill Hunt than those that don't think they looked great.;) IMO, most people get too engross in the movie or other things like multi-tasking on their mobile devices to pay attention to video detail issues.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I thought you weren't gonna argue with anyone? <_<

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have watched hundreds of Blu-Ray discs (maybe over a thousand at this point), and as much as I loathe excessive DNR, I can only name two titles that it has ruined the experience of the movie for me. 'Trading Places', and 'The Color of Money'.

I think these Lord of the Rings, and Hobbit films look great.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't feel the need to argue with anyone. I know what I'm seeing.
Absolutely. What you’re seeing. You can’t argue an opinion.

I only sampled a bit of Fellowship which looked great but I didn’t see enough to form an opinion myself.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Absolutely. What you’re seeing. You can’t argue an opinion.

Of course, he can argue against an opinion.

I hear this point waaay overused during this post-modern era (or is it post-post-modern now?), but truth is not all opinions are actually equally sound or valid or inarguable.

That's a ludicrous pretention.

The fact you're arguing his point proves your statement false or fallacious.

That's not to say any of us need to agree w/ (all) his specific points/opinions of course...

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I disagree. I’m obviously not arguing his opinion. An opinion can only be countered by another opinion. None of it is fact.

And I agree not all opinions are equal. An informed opinion is always preferable.

“An argument involves arriving at a judgement which is based on an evaluation of relevant ideas and evidence.

An opinion, on the other hand, is a point of view formed without sufficient evidence to support it. It tends to reflect an individual's instinctive reactions and personal experience.”

Last edited:

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I and my family have seen all the films in all the previous formats and remarked together, after viewing these (extended UHD LOTR Fellowship and Two Towers), on how they were far and away the best these have looked and sounded. Thanks to RAH for his recommendation - we're looking forward to Return of the King next. I'm thinking I might not have bought the set if I'd read all these posts about DNR first.

On our OLED, it is the color palette and effective contrasts of HDR, the fine detail of visual information in scenes (like reflection of gold in Faromir's eye as he gazes upon Frodo's ring) brought out in UHD that caught our eyes to most pleasing effect, as well as the spatial clarity of the Atmos sound, that stood out for us.

That said, I will probably stick with the brilliantly filmed 3d of the Hobbit trilogy, as it was how Jackson designed and filmed them, and there are few 3d releases better than the Hobbit trilogy.

The LOTR trilogy in 4K was a significant upgrade for us. I'm sure there are nits to pick, but we enjoyed the color, contrast and sound improvements too much to pick them.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I disagree. I’m obviously not arguing his opinion. An opinion can only be countered by another opinion. None of it is fact.

And I agree not all opinions are equal. An informed opinion is always preferable.

“An argument involves arriving at a judgement which is based on an evaluation of relevant ideas and evidence.

An opinion, on the other hand, is a point of view formed without sufficient evidence to support it. It tends to reflect an individual's instinctive reactions and personal experience.”

Actually, there's a whole lot of overlap between "argument" and "opinion".

They aren't nearly as mutually exclusive as you seem to want to make them.

You'd have to qualify each about the strength (or weakness) of specific arguments and/or opinions to separate them.

As we essentially already agreed, some opinions are stronger than others while some may be much weaker or even essentially invalid, eg. flat earth would of course be considered an invalid opinion.

Essentially the same can be said of arguments.

The main difference isn't whether they're well supported or not, but what's being done about them. An opinion is more general and doesn't necessarily involve any action, but an argument involves at least the (active) presentation of an opinion, etc, which may be heated, hostile, etc approaching one extreme or very calm, thoughtful and collected toward the other extreme. People most often tend to assume arguments involve hostility (even if just undertones), but they don't have to be so... though there's probably a fairly common human tendency to escalate in that direction if not consciously (self-)controlled (from practiced self-discipline).

As for your 1st sentence about opinion only being countered by another opinion, that's also false. Of course facts or proofs (of various strengths/rigor) can (and should) be used to counter opinions, if they exist (or you're able to come up w/ some). Also, once you choose to counter another opinion instead of merely stating your opinion and letting it go at that, you are by definition arguing it.

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Actually, there's a whole lot of overlap between "argument" and "opinion".

They aren't nearly as mutually exclusive as you seem to want to make them.

You'd have to qualify each about the strength (or weakness) of specific arguments and/or opinions to separate them.

As we essentially already agreed, some opinions are stronger than others while some may be much weaker or even essentially invalid, eg. flat earth would of course be considered an invalid opinion.

Essentially the same can be said of arguments.

The main difference isn't whether they're well supported or not, but what's being done about them. An opinion is more general and doesn't necessarily involve any action, but an argument involves at least the (active) presentation of an opinion, etc, which may be heated, hostile, etc approaching one extreme or very calm, thoughtful and collected toward the other extreme. People most often tend to assume arguments involve hostility (even if just undertones), but they don't have to be so... though there's probably a fairly common human tendency to escalate in that direction if not consciously (self-)controlled (from practiced self-discipline).

As for your 1st sentence about opinion only being countered by another opinion, that's also false. Of course facts or proofs (of various strengths/rigor) can (and should) be used to counter opinions, if they exist (or you're able to come up w/ some).

Anyhoo...

_Man_
I told you once........:D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I told you once........:D

:cheers:

BTW, you been getting ready for that supposed blizzard coming this afternoon? :oops: Just got back from a short Mohonk getaway last night ahead of it... Well, at least it shouldn't flood our ground floor or the like, LOL, but our kids probably ate thru our supply of fresh foods, so... :P

Stay warm and be well...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks