What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Middle Earth 6-Film Ultimate Collector's Edition (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm aware of the existence of that set. The problem with that set (and, from the look of the price, also the one that Robert linked to) is that it includes the Appendices on DVD carried over from the original extended DVDs. I'm not really interested in paying a large amount of money for carryover extras which I already own. I want the extended movies and maybe the commentaries to go with it and nothing else so that the price is cheaper. I'm going to keep the DVDs, so it's irritating to pay so much when all I really need is the extended movies in HD. I'd pay maybe $30 or $40 total for them, but the price of the box set is clearly higher because they're including the extras I already have.

Unfortunately, that's not how these things generally work. They don't do ala carte. And as the disc market shrinks, you're probably going to get even less options than before.

As it is, they already offer more options for this series (from multiple dips) than most others, so don't hold your breath on getting exactly what you want at the price you want and nothing more.

Your best bet might be for one of these boxsets to hit some bargain bin or clearance sale somewhere so it's cheap enough for you.

Alternatively, you could just go for the digital version whenever they go on sale...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately, that's not how these things generally work. They don't do ala carte. And as the disc market shrinks, you're probably going to get even less options than before.
You are absolutely correct.

I haven't watched my DVDs in years anyway, so I seem to be doing just fine without having what I want. Like others here, I was really into these films at the time they came out but my fandom has cooled in the years since. The Hobbit films were so bad that that probably contributed to my increasing disinterest.

If WB puts out what I want (or there is a blowout sale that puts the current editions dirt cheap) I would certainly grab them. If not, I think I'm good with the DVDs.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Good to have in my collection (in some quality form), but don't really need them on 4K discs, especially since they probably don't look that much better, if at all, than the 4K digitals even projected at 120"...

By all reports I’ve seen, the 4K versions of the films are a revelation compared to the Blu-rays.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
By all reports I’ve seen, the 4K versions of the films are a revelation compared to the Blu-rays.

Compared to the old BDs, sure. But not too clear the 4K discs are all that noticeably better than the 4K digitals (other than the lossless audio perhaps) -- I have the 4K digitals (plus the old BDs).

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 4ks are revelations compared to the BDs. Realize, Peter Jackson went back and worked on a lot of the effects work, bringing their appearance up to today’s standards.

I didn’t list the new BD that just appeared on Amazon because I had figured most everyone already owned the BDs.

As for the films themselves…

I really dislike THE HOBBIT films. I thought they were flat-out boring. I won’t watch any of them again.

However, the original LOTR films have also dulled on me over the years. They are still great films, but when opting to watch the extended versions, they just seem to go on forever.

Someone jokingly referred to this new ultimate set as 9 hours of walking. That’s basically the problem in a nutshell.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Man, what a bunch of poops! Really you guys? Even though I have some issues with the quality of the 4K releases of the LOTR trilogy, I still think the Extended Editions stand the test of time as perhaps the best fantasy films ever made. :)

The Hobbit stuff? I just wish that Guillermo del Toro had been able to follow through and make the film as a two-parter instead of PJ getting his hands on them. They're just not very good.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I love all six film, myself! I’ll have to debate on either getting the big set or the two separate sets that are already out. I’m dying to see all these on 4K either way, and planning to watch them all in time for the end of the year when the 20th anniversary hits for Fellowship. I still remember seeing it opening night and being blown away, having NO knowledge of anything LotR or Tolkien.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I love all six film, myself! I’ll have to debate on either getting the big set or the two separate sets that are already out. I’m dying to see all these on 4K either way, and planning to watch them all in time for the end of the year when the 20th anniversary hits for Fellowship. I still remember seeing it opening night and being blown away, having NO knowledge of anything LotR or Tolkien.
The same here on all of your comments. I have the 4K digitals because I purchased them prior to them being in 4K.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hell, I love the movies and even watched them again in a movie theater before the pandemic hit in 2020.
When I saw the LOTRs in theaters, I found them to be something of a chore to get through so now that I like them more, I wish I could see them again in a theater.

I love all six film, myself!
I'm the one guy who probably enjoys The Hobbit movies more than the LOTR movies. I liked The Hobbit(s) enough that it helped create a greater appreciation of the first three in me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I held off on last year’s 4ks because we knew this set was coming. But yikes, man, this set averages out to be more than $40 per film! Even the steel books from last year were cheaper.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Someone jokingly referred to this new ultimate set as 9 hours of walking.
So it's kind of like a baseball game. Four hours of standing around spitting and scratching, punctuated by an occasional few seconds of action. :emoji_baseball:

I'm actually the opposite. I find myself watching The Hobbit more often than LOTR these days. I just re-watched those films a couple months ago. I can't recall the last time I watched LOTR.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Filthy Hobbitses.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If they're $70 now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a great sale around the holidays where you can get both LOTR and The Hobbit for about $100. Ninety minutes of bonus features isn't even remotely enough to get me to 'have' to buy this set at a much higher price than the two individual sets. Especially since it's senseless that they aren't including the appendices with this set. I know the BTS and interview footage is mostly (all?) standard def but they should have included those DVDs to make this a definitive release and warrant the price tag.
Yeah, I'm kind of let down by this Ultimate release. I'll probably end up purchasing the 2020 4K releases instead at a much cheaper price as 90 minutes of new bonus material doesn't make up the difference in the pricing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Personally, I picked up the extended editions of the LOTR films on iTunes and sold my BD set (I had sold the DVD set when I bought the BDs). Unless the UHD disc set comes down to under $30, I will be content with the digitals. I do still really enjoy watching these films every couple of years, but I am becoming more and more content with having films on streaming only. It works well for our current lifestyle in retirement.

As for the Hobbit films, I have the theatrical versions digitally in HD via the codes I claimed on Vudu (so no free 4K upgrade for me) when I owned the BDs -- which I've since sold. I didn't really care for these films, so don't have any need for a 4K version -- either on disc, or just digitally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks