What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 MOD set is currently only $5.09 at amazon.com!
And a recent reviewer on Amazon claimed that they received pressed discs rather than DVD-Rs...not exactly sure what's going on with this release.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wow, that's a Great price...my set is burned discs...doesn't bother me in the least, and I was quite happy getting them on release at about $25...of course, I would prefer pressed discs...the episodes are the same beautifully remastered transfers as seen in the earlier Universal sets...Sean, I've never heard of pressed discs for season 6, but maybe the reviewer was referring to Fabulous Films R2 set? Of course, those are pressed, but R2 locked and PAL...

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Wow, that's a Great price...my set is burned discs...doesn't bother me in the least, and I was quite happy getting them on release at about $25...of course, I would prefer pressed discs...the episodes are the same beautifully remastered transfers as seen in the earlier Universal sets...Sean, I've never heard of pressed discs for season 6, but maybe the reviewer was referring to Fabulous Films R2 set? Of course, those are pressed, but R2 locked and PAL...

Randall:

I haven't heard of pressed discs for Season 6 either and I suspect there might be some confusion on the reviewer's part.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Thanks to Jdee for pointing out the Amazon sale on AH season 6 . Ordered my copy . Nice .

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Randall:

I haven't heard of pressed discs for Season 6 either and I suspect there might be some confusion on the reviewer's part.

Set arrived today.

They do indeed look like pressed discs, not MoD.

Dual layer, gold-ish look not the usual MoD purple, a "made in Mexico" stamp on the shrink wrap.

The packaging is crap, with all the discs stacked on top of each other. But they don't look to be DVD-Rs, but it does have a small "R" under DVD on the disc faces.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
pricehitch.jpg

Good Evening!

Is it possible to ascertain whether these are indeed "pressed discs" and not DVD-Rs as suggested?

Universal has been upgrading it's previous products lately (ie. KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER and THE HAMMER HORROR CLASSICS) so you never know.

$5.00 for pressed discs is certainly a steal. It's really like having one's cake and eating it too!

Kindly let us know.

Thank you.

00.jpg

Jeff T.

:wacko:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Set arrived today.

They do indeed look like pressed discs, not MoD.

Dual layer, gold-ish look not the usual MoD purple, a "made in Mexico" stamp on the shrink wrap.

The packaging is crap, with all the discs stacked on top of each other. But they don't look to be DVD-Rs, but it does have a small "R" under DVD on the disc faces.

Robert:

Thank you for the confirmation; pressed discs for $5.09 is tempting.....

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I got mine today and the package includes the following:
"This disc is expected to play back in DVD Video "Play Only" devices..." etc, but they do appear to be standard pressed discs, so maybe they didn't bother to change the package. Note that although the box lists English SDH subtitles, there are neither subtitles nor closed captions on the discs I checked. Seasons 1-5 did have captions.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert:

Thank you for the confirmation; pressed discs for $5.09 is tempting.....

$5.09 was my "well, MoD is better than nothing" threshold.

If I had known they would seemingly be pressed discs, I would have been screaming "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!", and happily paid double the price (a whole $10.18) :laugh:

Oh, and I just went back a page and saw the original batch of discs wouldn't play in some computers. These discs (well, disc 1) played in my laptop with no problems.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I got mine today and the package includes the following:
"This disc is expected to play back in DVD Video "Play Only" devices..." etc, but they do appear to be standard pressed discs, so maybe they didn't bother to change the package. Note that although the box lists English SDH subtitles, there are neither subtitles nor closed captions on the discs I checked. Seasons 1-5 did have captions.
David:

Thank you for the further information about the set.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
$5.09 was my "well, MoD is better than nothing" threshold.

If I had known they would seemingly be pressed discs, I would have been screaming "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!", and happily paid double the price (a whole $10.18) :laugh:

Oh, and I just went back a page and saw the original batch of discs wouldn't play in some computers. These discs (well, disc 1) played in my laptop with no problems.

Okay, this is getting even more enticing...

While I'm hoping the the recent news about a new Hitchcock anthology called "Welcome to Hitchcock" being in the works might spur Universal to finally do complete series DVD releases of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, it only just that, a hope, at this point as opposed to having the sure thing of Season 6 on pressed discs at bargain basement price; well now that's really a no-brainer.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another small sign that leads me to believe this is pressed is the front of the disc/disc face/label/whatever.

I have quite a few MoD sets... the two seasons of Night Court from before WB started pressing Archive stuff, various Archive films, 3 (soon to be four) seasons of Bob's Burgers, 2 seasons of American Dad and The Cleveland Show, a couple of MoD Blu-Ray documentaries from Amazon, even.

Every one of them has a thick, glossy label on them.

These Hitchcock sets have the same matte finish label that pretty much every other pressed set has.

Like I said, a small thing. But if you're looking for evidence, a lot of stuff adds up, unless this is some type of MoD DVD-R I've never seen before.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Received my AH season 6 set in the mail today . They look like pressed discs to me . 5 discs stacked on top of each other in a single case . Easy enough to transfer them to a case that holds five discs each on their own hub . I'm happy .

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Pulled the trigger today on this one :).

Since Universal has been on a kick in reissuing on single-sided discs tv shows and films they originally released on flippers (i.e. Universal Monsters Legacy collections, Hammer Horror Series 8-film Collection, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, etc.), I hope they get around to reissuing Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season One on single-sides discs (I bought and returned the set about 6 times and I still don't have a set that plays without flaws (freezing, pixelating, etc.) or, better still, just issue completes series releases on pressed discs of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I've avoided purchasing S1 of the series because of all the issues with those flippers. It annoys me to know it's out there and my collection starts with S2.

I got my copy of S6 today.

On the back, "Made in Mexico" is stamped in blue on the shrink wrap. No security seal on the top. The ominous, and dreaded, warning: "This disc is expected to play in DVD Video Play Only devices and not in other DVD devices...." And the small "R" under the DVD logo image on the bottom right corner. The only clue these might be pressed is that "Made in Mexico" stamp as everything else is typical of a MOD release.

I open the package, a standard width keep case, to find it's a "stacker" case with 5 discs on a spindle. The silk screening looks normal. I take the discs out and flip them over to see *silver* staring me in the face! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, these are *pressed* copies!! What a bargain!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have been wondering if Universal would release a complete AHP, all 7 seasons, with no flippers and no Mod discs. There would be a lot of double dipping there, but everyone would finally be able to have AHP on DVD complete.

Then I ask myself, why not just get the pressed season 6 discs for $5+, and get the S7 set from the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks