What's new

International DVD Announcement: The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (The Complete Series) (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have them all uncut that I recorded from Encore Mystery Channel. They skipped on episode and that one I have off a 16mm print.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Correction, mine is also the R2 Fabulous Films version. I got confused when someone mentioned "Fremantle" above.

I purchased when first released. While I still have a ways to go to finish it, I find it better than "Presents" (many probably won't agree) based on the hour long format. I have several series in PAL, most of the time the PAL speedup isn't a problem for me either. However, in this case there were a few too many actors I've heard often enough that the increased pitch in their voices bothered me. I recall off hand just finishing the "Lou Grant" series and there is an episode in AHH season 1 with Edward Asner, and it just threw me off. The other reasons I've now gotten into the habit of converting PAL to NTSC is no concern what TV or player I use for play back and a reduced foot print on the shelf since I store to blu-ray disks.

The R2 Fabulous Films version is top-notch for anyone that can support the format and has no issues with the speed-up.
Same with me as well Brad, only about 6 episodes. Perhaps I'll notice the pitch issue as I get further in. This is all new to me being this was my very first R2 purchase. In fact just an hour ago I received my second R2 purchase below. What is it that you find better with The Alfred Hitchcock Hour than Presents, the PAL speedup being less noticeable or the image quality being better? I know like most here I can't stand the double-sided discs. I forget how many seasons that goes on with Presents. So when you convert these to digital they become region-free AND eliminates the PAL speed up completely? Thanks!

Delivered today

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Season Seven (5 disc box set) [DVD]
Return eligible through Oct 17, 2021

I have them all uncut that I recorded from Encore Mystery Channel. They skipped on episode and that one I have off a 16mm print.
I recorded those digitally as well from the Encore Mystery Channel but the physical media looks better to my eyes.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Same with me as well Brad, only about 6 episodes. Perhaps I'll notice the pitch issue as I get further in. This is all new to me being this was my very first R2 purchase. In fact just an hour ago I received my second R2 purchase below. What is it that you find better with The Alfred Hitchcock Hour than Presents, the PAL speedup being less noticeable or the image quality being better? I know like most here I can't stand the double-sided discs. I forget how many seasons that goes on with Presents. So when you convert these to digital they become region-free AND eliminates the PAL speed up completely? Thanks!
I've enjoyed what I have seen of AHP. I've only seen about one season of each so far (AHP and AHH), just too many things to watch still that I sometimes get easily side tracked. Of what I have seen, I just find that the 50 minute AHH format allows for a more developed and suspenseful story, while the 25 minute AHP format just seems a bit rushed to me. My preference for AHH over AHP is just about the format length, not any technical issues.

From what I recall both are better than average video quality. I have all region 1 releases of AHP and the one R2 PAL release that did not make it to R1. Agree, not a fan of double sided disks.

Yes, when I convert they become region free, NTSC, and no longer have the PAL speed-up. When it comes to the video, I have found it best to upscale the resolution from PAL 576i to NTSC 720p rather then to downscale PAL 576i to NTSC 480i.

Tom.W

Second Unit
he R2 Fabulous Films version is top-notch for anyone that can support the format and has no issues with the speed-up.
Of what I have seen, I just find that the 50 minute AHH format allows for a more developed and suspenseful story, while the 25 minute AHP format just seems a bit rushed to me. My preference for AHH over AHP is just about the format length, not any technical issues.
I agree on both points. I have the R1 and R2 (complete) AHP and the R2 AHH. The PAL speed-up isn't noticeable for me. My only complaint is that the bumper at the midpoint of AHP is cut from most episodes. You can hear the music cue fading out.

Regarding the format comparison, I think the longer format allows for the suspense to build up to a greater extent as well as more fully developed characters, almost like a Hitchcock film. I still like the 30 minute episodes too because they are generally well written with a nice twist at the end.

I recorded those digitally as well from the Encore Mystery Channel but the physical media looks better to my eyes.

I agree. The upgrade to professional quality media was worth it to me. Of course, it depends on how big a fan you are of the Master of Suspense. I discarded my Encore tapes, so it saved some space too.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I've enjoyed what I have seen of AHP. I've only seen about one season of each so far (AHP and AHH), just too many things to watch still that I sometimes get easily side tracked. Of what I have seen, I just find that the 50 minute AHH format allows for a more developed and suspenseful story, while the 25 minute AHP format just seems a bit rushed to me. My preference for AHH over AHP is just about the format length, not any technical issues.

From what I recall both are better than average video quality. I have all region 1 releases of AHP and the one R2 PAL release that did not make it to R1. Agree, not a fan of double sided disks.

Yes, when I convert they become region free, NTSC, and no longer have the PAL speed-up. When it comes to the video, I have found it best to upscale the resolution from PAL 576i to NTSC 720p rather then to downscale PAL 576i to NTSC 480i.
Thanks very much for the clarifications Brad! In regards to 25 minute vs. 50 minute, for me it all depends on my mood. Kind of like Gunsmoke. My attention span is not very good, so at times I prefer a quicker watch.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I agree. The upgrade to professional quality media was worth it to me. Of course, it depends on how big a fan you are of the Master of Suspense. I discarded my Encore tapes, so it saved some space too.
I wiped mine too.
icon_e_thumbsup.gif

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Thanks very much for the clarifications Brad! In regards to 25 minute vs. 50 minute, for me it all depends on my mood. Kind of like Gunsmoke. My attention span is not very good, so at times I prefer a quicker watch.
I have all the Gunsmoke seasons as well, but have yet to get past the 25 minute episodes. Everything I've read says the first couple of seasons after going to the 50 minute format seem padded, as if it took the writers a bit of time to get use to the longer format. So longer doesn't always mean better. The only problem with the early Gunsmoke episodes for me is that they reused many of the scripts from the radio show. Since I became a fan of the radio program first, the first couple of televised seasons came off like a repeat even though it was first time viewing.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I have all the Gunsmoke seasons as well, but have yet to get past the 25 minute episodes. Everything I've read says the first couple of seasons after going to the 50 minute format seem padded, as if it took the writers a bit of time to get use to the longer format. So longer doesn't always mean better. The only problem with the early Gunsmoke episodes for me is that they reused many of the scripts from the radio show. Since I became a fan of the radio program first, the first couple of televised seasons came off like a repeat even though it was first time viewing.
In that regard I guess I'm fortunate as I've never heard a single radio broadcast. Yes it took me a while to get warmed up to the hour-long Gunsmokes, but I finally did and what you stated seems true now that I think about it because I didn't begin to really appreciate those until a few seasons in. However, I'll always have a special place in my heart for the 30 minute episodes particularly the very early ones where James Arness hadn't yet defined his character. Kinda like Edith Bunker in the first season of All In The Family, where she was very sarcastic and hadn't yet become a dingbat. How about that for an analogy.
icon_e_teehehe.gif

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I received today the Via Vision DVD release of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour series, and I must say that overall I am quite pleased with it. The episodes are not time compressed or speeded up and run in the 50 minute range. The only thing that appears to be missing are the teasers/previews for the next weeks episode, but aside from that minor omission, the episodes appear to be complete and include the Universal bumpers after the closing credits. The box says that the DVD's are region 4, but I'm having no problems playing them in my DVD player. So overall, a rather splendid job by Via Vision with regards to this set and I recommend it for all fans of the master of suspense. Good Eeeevening.

Gordiac

Agent
Real Name
Gordon
I received today the Via Vision DVD release of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour series, and I must say that overall I am quite pleased with it. The episodes are not time compressed or speeded up and run in the 50 minute range. The only thing that appears to be missing are the teasers/previews for the next weeks episode, but aside from that minor omission, the episodes appear to be complete and include the Universal bumpers after the closing credits. The box says that the DVD's are region 4, but I'm having no problems playing them in my DVD player. So overall, a rather splendid job by Via Vision with regards to this set and I recommend it for all fans of the master of suspense. Good Eeeevening.
Are there English subtitles by any chance? I highly doubt it, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Are there English subtitles by any chance? I highly doubt it, but thought I'd ask anyway.
No sorry, there are no subtitles.

The set has one bonus feature and it's a pretty good one, an episode from the Ford Startime series titled "Incident At A Corner", starring Vera Miles and George Peppard, and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. This bonus feature is included on disc 8 of season 3. The 3rd season has 29 episodes, so in a way this bonus feature sort of serves as a 30th episode.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
In addition to The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Via Vision has also released the complete series of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, seasons 1-4 are in one set and seasons 5-7 are in the other set, I purchased the seasons 5-7 set because I needed seasons 6 and 7, so now I have the complete series of both shows, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

These DVD's from Via Vision are said to be region 4 but they play just fine in my region 1 DVD player, no problems whatsoever.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
I contacted Via Vision about releasing The Alfred Hitchcock Hour on Blu Ray and they said they would forward my suggestion to their acquisitions department. If others contact them about a Blu Ray release they might realize there is some demand for it.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Comparing the two versions of the show, half hour episodes vs. hour length episodes, both are good but I think I prefer the hour shows a little more because there's additional room for story development. With some of the half hour episodes, the endings seem unresolved and feels like there could be more to the story.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
Comparing the two versions of the show, half hour episodes vs. hour length episodes, both are good but I think I prefer the hour shows a little more because there's additional room for story development. With some of the half hour episodes, the endings seem unresolved and feels like there could be more to the story.
Same here. I do prefer the hour shows, especially when the episode has excellent guest stars.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Same here. I do prefer the hour shows, especially when the episode has excellent guest stars.
Yes I agree. I would have liked The Alfred Hitchcock Hour to continue in 1965-66. Don't know why it ended after 1964-65 but I believe there could have been one more season.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
I bought the Freemantle set and it is a bit of a mess. Seasons 1, 2 and 3 are PAL format with the 4 percent speed up and don't play on North American players. Seasons 4, 5 and 6 seem to be region free and play on my North American player and DO NOT have the 4 per cent speed up. Season 7 plays on my North American player and DOES have the 4 per cent speed up. I converted all the too fast episodes to their normal speed and I'm happy with the quality.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Yes I agree. I would have liked The Alfred Hitchcock Hour to continue in 1965-66. Don't know why it ended after 1964-65 but I believe there could have been one more season.
Reportedly, AH was getting tired of the series and James Allardice, who had written all the intros for ten years had recently died and AH didn't want to continue without him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks