What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MovieMaven61 said:
With me it has nothing to do with mod's...it has to do with Univ.taking their sweet time completing this series. It's going on 9 years now since season 1 was released...... that's ridiculous!!...they are not even restored so theres no excuse for this,they could have finished this up several years ago,and they could have been working on the hour shows now..thats why I ordered seasons 6&7 from Australia. ...probably order the hour shows early next year. That's another question why is the whole series been released in Australia?????????...Are they bigger Hitchcock fans there then here?
Universal has a real hard-on about releasing only one season per year of any show. I don't understand it, I don't like it, but as long as they keep coming, I suppose.

Of course, I did find it funny that Adam 12, Dragnet, and Emergency all started at the same time, Adam 12 and Dragnet stalled out for 4 years, and both were completed or nearly completed on DVD before Emergency's final movies were released because Shout got the half hour shows and finished them ASAP while Uni kept Emergency at one a year for seven years.

/As for Hitchcock? I'll go with the Australian release for season 6, and any MoD season.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
My S6 order came yesterday as part of the new policy of the Post Office doing Amazon orders on Sundays. Quality looks great, menu screens still play the theme music like before. Packaging has chaged to a plastic case so it's not consistent with earlier packaging but all in all a good release!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Were the sales of seasons 1 through 5 really that poor? Does anybody have data on this? I'm still trying to fathom why they chose the MOD route for Season 6.

Darby

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't know the sales figures, but it seems pretty clear that different studios have different minimum sales thresholds for continuing classic titles on DVD. Universal seems to have higher expectations than, say, CBS/Paramount. Alfred Hitchcock Presents may simply fall in the vast middle ground between Universal's apparent big sellers like Columbo, Magnum, The Rockford Files, and Murder She Wrote and Universal's disappointments like Kojak, Baretta, McCloud, etc.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, I'll bite and order this and report how it looks. I don't have a region-free player and I can't miss this set; every season has been way too tasty. Even home from college during the summer many moons ago, I used to savor watching this show in reruns every night at 11 p.m. in the D.C. market area. I'd mix up a big Carnation malted milk, and hang on the couch in the basement for some serious suspense drama from the best short story writers of the 50s and 60's. I'll have to skip the malted this time around and go with a pretzel.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The fun part about this coming out now is that it's the 1960-61 season, the same as S2 of "Naked City" and I've found that by watching these episodes in rotation with "Naked City" and "Route 66" S1 the level of guest-star cross-pollination is even greater when AHP is factored in (one actress, Betty Field appears in all three shows in a span of several weeks!)

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I'm starting to change my tune about this being MOD. This is the first MOD release I've purchased that will not play in my computer drive. If this were a normal DVD, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm very disappointed and returned it to Amazon.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
I'm starting to change my tune about this being MOD. This is the first MOD release I've purchased that will not play in my computer drive. If this were a normal DVD, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm very disappointed and returned it to Amazon.
Virtually all of the Warner Archives burned dvd movies I own won't play in my computer.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
hypnohighball said:
Virtually all of the Warner Archives burned dvd movies I own won't play in my computer.
Oddly, all of my Warner Archive burned DVDs play in my computer.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This set has obviously cheaper packaging in a single plastic case, but the quality of the picture is on par with previous seasons, so I am happy to have this set even though they obviously had to make a higher price point to justify the offering. It's also an improvement that all 8 episodes on a disc are listed on the first screen, though without the thumbnail pictures from the episodes. You previously had to forward to a second screen for the next four. The thumbnail pics were nice but unnecessary unless you were going back and wanted to quickly recall or reference an episode from a picture. With my memory at this stage, it doesn't matter. It's easier for me to remember an episode I saw thirty years ago, then one I saw last month. sigh.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't know why that would be the case. I got through all the episodes on my set without a hitch (no pun intended!)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Jack P said:
I don't know why that would be the case. I got through all the episodes on my set without a hitch (no pun intended!)
There are a lot of complaints at Amazon about the discs freezing up, and many complaints in particular about Disc 4.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I hope unfortunately this won't lead to a stall-out. I want the half-hour run finally finished and then of course there's the three hour-long seasons. This was a title that should have been given better treatment by Universal (if they'd licensed it out I'm sure it would have been done sooner).

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Does anyone remember when TVLand did a 24 hour 100th birthday celebration to Hitchcock by showing a marathon of this show on August 13? Later, an individual wrote a letter to them, saying that he missed the marathon, because he misunderstood when the marathon started. So they replayed it on Halloween.

I think it was the only time TVLand catered to just one viewer for a day. I swear I cannot be the only one who remembers this.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I remember an AHP marathon on Nick at Nite, probably around 1990 or so. I had to structure my life around changing the VCR tape every 6 hours to record it all.

Yeah, I know.... the dreaded SLP speed.

IntoIt said:
Does anyone remember when TVLand did a 24 hour 100th birthday celebration to Hitchcock by showing a marathon of this show on August 13? Later, an individual wrote a letter to them, saying that he missed the marathon, because he misunderstood when the marathon started. So they replayed it on Halloween.

I think it was the only time TVLand catered to just one viewer for a day. I swear I cannot be the only one who remembers this.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
IntoIt said:

Sounds like a publicity stunt to me. Yes, I remember the marathon - still have it on SLP 10 hour tapes!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, I do remember that gimmick. The guy said he thought it would start at "midnight Friday" meaning Friday night/Saturday morning and not "all day Friday".

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have done a forum thread search and it appears this thread is the only thread in the TV on DVD and Blu-ray folder about Alfred Hitchcock Presents which you can still reply to (guessing the other threads are archived and closed).

Thinking about getting the first season UK DVD set of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. The DVD releases in the UK stalled after the third season, but recently listings have been added to the BBFC website for the fourth season of Alfred Hitchock Presents, so it looks like the series is being unstalled by Universal Pictures (UK).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks