1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Powell&Pressburger, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

At such a low price, I decided to pull the trigger on this set. I didn't get as good a deal as some of you, at $5.28 for the set :) but I am still extremely happy at such a low price!

Thanks for the info, but of course now the completist in me will want to have the other season sets.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  2. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Rodney:

I paid $5.28 as well for my set.

Flashgear likes this.
  3. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    The high demand must mean Amazon decided to gouge everyone going forward by raising the price a full 19 cents. :rolling-smiley:

Rodney, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  4. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    Started watching AH s6 d1 last night . The quality seems to be pretty good to me . But i'm no expert in that area . Someone with more knowledge on picture quality will have to comment on the picture and sound . Still very happy . Bring on season season 7 . I guess i can hope .

5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

Craig Beam
    It'd be a supremely assholish move on Universal's part to release 6 out of 7 seasons and then stop.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  6. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    I just ordered for $5.06. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    At this point, Shout Factory usually gets 'em.

However, there's a new Hitchcock series coming, so hopefully Uni will get S7 out for that.

8. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben
    Yes, for that price I got it too. Since there are an amazing 38 episodes in this season, it comes to less than 15 cents an episode. And, although I've seen the earlier seasons, as well as The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, I'm not sure I've even seen any of these....

I wish we could see The Alfred Hitchcock Hour on DVD. I think some of the hour-long episodes are the best. Unlike with Twilight Zone, I think the longer time for this show deepened it rather than weakened it.

9. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

I just had to bring Rod Serling into this somewhere!

The seventh and final season (1961-62) of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (CBS 1955-60, NBC 1960-62) spartanly has a mere 22 half hour episodes to its credit which should be no trouble-at-all releasing it in a compactly minted complete season DVD set.

As previously stated by both myself and others in this discussion thread a correction of the season one (1955-56) DVD release is very much in order. I had problems with it and disappointingly had to return it. And this was back in the good old days when return postage charges for defective items was generously covered by the online distributor.

My real concern now is the likeliness (or unlikeliness) of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (CBS 1962-64, NBC 1964-65) coming out on DVD. As a side note this should all really be minted on blu-ray as I really don't want to see "standard" DVD perpetuated any further. But what can really be done at his late date? We've come this far.

In its first two years there were a whopping 32 hour long episodes per season produced.

The final season saw 29 hour long episodes which is still a lot of running time.

To do this properly (at 4 episodes per single sided disc) will require 8 discs per set.

Understandably it's not going to come cheaply either, for the consumer.

What really are the chances of Universal taking on the responsibility in marketing these?

[​IMG]

Jeff T.

:wacko:

benbess likes this.
  10. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I believe the seventh season of AHP has 39 episodes (including the one not aired by NBC).

11. 91 Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

This "fool" online directory that I examined just lists 22 episodes for season seven.

Checking other sources there are indeed 38 episodes credited for this year. You think that this would have been addressed by now. Maybe it was but ignored.

You just can't trust anything online. Henceforth I'll make it a practice to refer to more than just one source. Good as it may be.

I apologize for the error on my part.

Thank you for the correction.

Jeff T.

:wacko:

12. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Yes, the 39th was "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," which the network refused to air, so it wasn't seen until syndication.

No apology necessary. You're right though about bad online sources. At least Alfred Hitchcock Presents is a well-documented series with good source material out there. Episode guides for some rarer series are very hard to piece together from available info.

13. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    ok so i got my $5.29 delivery today, and looking over these disc, i would swear that they are pressed, if so then its one of the best deals i have gotten in a while!

14. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Amazon figured out the pricing error. No more deal. I got mine today too. whew! right under the wire.

Flashgear likes this.
  15. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    under the wire, indeed, out of stock looks like

Flashgear likes this.
  16. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Ah! "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Robert Bloch. That's a gruesome one for its time. But the horrors are mostly implied. So the network chickened out on it.

I'm glad it's included in the syndicated run (and hopefully a prospective DVD release).

[​IMG]

Jeff T.

;)

17. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

Really appreciate the heads up!

18. 98 Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Flashgear

Flashgear Supporting Actor

Randall
    Apparently, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (among other programs) was the subject of testimony at an FCC hearing at NY Federal Courts in Foley Square on October 2, 1961...a representative for Revlon testified as to his sponsor's objection to having their corporate name attached to it's prospective broadcast...Lever Brothers and Bristol Myers were also called to testify as to their corporate influence over other network shows at the same session...of course it's one of Robert Bloch's great teleplays, and in retrospect hard to understand the upset in regard to it's later unnoticed regular syndication and more difficult to accept in the context of previously broadcast episodes like "Specialty of the House", (cannibalism), "Man From the South" and "Not the Running Type" received loads of positive and negative mail in season 5...and consider other Hitchcock shows to come..."The Magic Shop", "Sign of Satan", "Where the Woodbine Twineth", and above all, "Consider Her Ways"(!)...all much more potentially provocative IMO...as Jeff said, the horror is more implied than allowed to be presented with any explicitness...poor Diana Dors...

This was all during the same season where THE DEFENDERS got into trouble finding a sponsor replacement for "The Benefactor"...and, of course, the continuing hubbub about all the violence on THE UNTOUCHABLES...in the UK, two episodes of LARAMIE were banned from broadcast for violence...

Goodtimes released "Sorcerer's Apprentice" on VHS back in the '90s...and it's also included on Fabulous Film's recent R2 boxset of AHP season 7...

Darby67 likes this.
  19. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    Received shipping notice for Season 6, should receive it for the bargain price tomorrow.

20. 100 Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben
    I agree—I'd love love to see The Hitchcock Hour on blu-ray. There are already HD masters out there (streamed a dozen or more quite a few years ago), and I think they look very good.

The great Bernard Herrmann wrote scores for a number of the Hitchcock hour shows.

Darby67 likes this.