What's new

International DVD Announcement: The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (The Complete Series) (1 Viewer)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas

THE RENOWNED FOLLOW-UP TO ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS.​

Legendary director and story-teller Alfred Hitchcock set the benchmark for all TV mystery series to follow with his ground breaking classic television series ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, remaining an indelible part of popular culture. No one equalled his talent for presenting viewers with stories of murder, mystery and the macabre that had an unforeseen kick in the ‘tale’. Rather than progress to a eighth season of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, Hitchcock returned with an expanded format titled THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR and now, the entire deliciously murderous series is collected together in this Complete Series 24-disc set.
Guest stars include James Mason, Robert Redford, Vera Miles, Peter Falk, Christopher Lee, Ray Milland, Bob Newhart, Leslie Neilsen, Telly Savalas, Roddy McDowall, Peter Fonda, David Carradine, Angie Dickinson, Lee Majors, Bruce Dern and more.
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Ford Startime: “Incident at a Corner” – a colour episode directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring Vera Miles and George Peppard

RELEASE DATE: 21st July, 2021RUNTIME (IN MINUTES):4650NUMBER OF DISCS: 24

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Region Free is well and good. However, in the NTSC Universe, a lot of devices won't play back PAL DVDs, Region Free or not. Then, there is also the 4% speedup that is common in the PAL Format.

CHEERS! :)
It also means there's no reason for me to replace the Region 2 PAL complete Freemantle set I got three years ago. Still available from Amazon third-party sellers from around $80 plus shipping.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Region Free is well and good. However, in the NTSC Universe, a lot of devices won't play back PAL DVDs, Region Free or not. Then, there is also the 4% speedup that is common in the PAL Format.

CHEERS! :)
I'll take my chances. All my ViaVision region free discs play just fine.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The go through the trouble of adding the STARTIME but not the "Suspicion" - 4 O'clock" he also directed?

All 3 seasons of the Hours ,uncut are up on PEACOCK for the payed levels - however, some of the PRESENTS are not up due to underling rights to some of the episodes based on pre-existing works-stories - ALL the Dahl written ones (and "Hitch" Directed TWO of them!) are no up there, as well as several others - which sucks since only Season 1-5 (and an MOD of 6) were released on DVD.

Last edited:

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
The go through the trouble of adding the STARTIME but not the "Suspicion" - 4 O'clock" he also directed?

All 3 seasons of the Hours ,uncut are up on PEACOCK for the payed levels - however, some of the PRESENTS are not up due to underling rights to some of the episodes based on pre-existing works-stories - ALL the Dahl written ones (and "Hitch" Directed TWO of them!) are no up there, as well as several others - which sucks since only Season 1-5 (and an MOD of 6) were released on DVD.
Yes, personally I'd be more excited for news of Universal finally releasing Season 7 of AHP in North America so I can complete my collection of the half-hour shows. Another PAL release of AHH is kind of anti-climatic...or non-suspensful, to put it in Hitch terms.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I too wish Universal would release Season 7 on DVD in Region 1 so we could have the complete half-hour series. Of course, I would love to see Universal release all three seasons of the hour-long series but IIRC I believe there were rights issues with episodes that were based on pre-existing literary works.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I too wish Universal would release Season 7 on DVD in Region 1 so we could have the complete half-hour series. Of course, I would love to see Universal release all three seasons of the hour-long series but IIRC I believe there were rights issues with episodes that were based on pre-existing literary works.

The only issues regarding pre-existing works domestically has been on PEACOCK - episodes of the half-hours that WERE on the DVD releases are not available for streaming. While All 3 seasons of the hour shows ARE all there. (There were no issues with any of the international releases of the half-hours, either.)

It's unlikely the hour shows have clearance issues,(International rights would be more of a headache!) and it's just Universal stalling a show in the states - like they have several over the years.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Yes, personally I'd be more excited for news of Universal finally releasing Season 7 of AHP in North America so I can complete my collection of the half-hour shows. Another PAL release of AHH is kind of anti-climatic...or non-suspensful, to put it in Hitch terms.
Kino should release season 7. They already have a business relationship with Universal.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I ordered The Alfred Hitchcock Hour series today, the Via Vision release that's said to be region free. It should arrive early next week, looking forward to it.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I ordered The Alfred Hitchcock Hour series today, the Via Vision release that's said to be region free. It should arrive early next week, looking forward to it.
That's great news for Region 1/NTSC viewers. I already converted my Freemantle UK set from PAL to NTSC and fixed the speedup issue. The prints from the UK set were very good. Hopefully, this NTSC release has prints that are at least as good..

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
That's great news for Region 1/NTSC viewers. I already converted my Freemantle UK set from PAL to NTSC and fixed the speedup issue. The prints from the UK set were very good. Hopefully, this NTSC release has prints that are at least as good..
Brad I purchased the Region 2 Fabulous Films version and received it on September 10th. Got it for $56 bucks at the time (+ $12.00 Shipping) and its great. Don't even notice any speed-up issue.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I am hoping that the release from Via Vision has the episodes at their correct speed and not time compressed/speeded up. The total running time is advertised at 77 1/2 hours, which calculates to 50 minutes an episode, so I'm assuming this is good news. If it turns out the episodes are time compressed, I won't be thrilled about it but will be able to live with it as long as the episodes are otherwise complete. I recently purchased the Dan August DVD set, those episodes are time compressed but are otherwise complete so I am OK with it.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad I purchased the Region 2 Fabulous Films version and received it on September 10th. Got it for $56 bucks at the time (+ $12.00 Shipping) and its great. Don't even notice any speed-up issue.
Correction, mine is also the R2 Fabulous Films version. I got confused when someone mentioned "Fremantle" above.

I purchased when first released. While I still have a ways to go to finish it, I find it better than "Presents" (many probably won't agree) based on the hour long format. I have several series in PAL, most of the time the PAL speedup isn't a problem for me either. However, in this case there were a few too many actors I've heard often enough that the increased pitch in their voices bothered me. I recall off hand just finishing the "Lou Grant" series and there is an episode in AHH season 1 with Edward Asner, and it just threw me off. The other reasons I've now gotten into the habit of converting PAL to NTSC is no concern what TV or player I use for play back and a reduced foot print on the shelf since I store to blu-ray disks.

The R2 Fabulous Films version is top-notch for anyone that can support the format and has no issues with the speed-up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks