1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Powell&Pressburger, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug
    Just received my copy. So happy to get this for such a great price.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  2. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

I had (completely) given up on the possibility of ever getting Season 6 (1960-61) but good fortune and sound sense thankfully prevailed.

Now, forever looking ahead, we have to focus our collective energies in encouraging continuation and closure with Season 7 (1961-62).

Many of us also would like a much improved Season 1 (1955-56) pressing on a 5 disc single-sided set.

Who knows?

[​IMG]

Jeff T.

;)

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  3. JayHink

JayHink Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    Just reporting like many here before me -- I ordered the s6 set during the sale & also received pressed discs.

Packaging was the same as described in earlier posts.

4. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    What a bummer - I ordered this from Amazon last week, but now they are saying it is "lost in transit". They refunded my money, but it is showing as no longer available, unless I'm willing to pay someone $199. Sigh.

5. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    It'll be back... but probably at the correct price.

6. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    time to address this, with the recent announcement by Scott (Mr. Lime) in the Kino thread that "The Outer Limits" will be getting a blu ray release, from newly restored and scanned materials. What kind of influence is needed for this landmark series to receive the same treatment that Twilight Zone and now The Outer Limits have received.

the motivation would need to encompass all 10 seasons, for it to be done correctly, many of the stars and soon to be stars that cut their teeth in the acting business on shows such as these. Where the DVD releases were just the episodes themselves, I would think that there are hours of materials that could be used as extra features. Most notably for American viewers, the inclusion of the UK bumpers could be added via seamless branching.

throwing this out there maybe we can get Universal to release this if not- Shout would be my second choice with - Mill Creek last. want to hear some ideas on if we could help to make this happen.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

You're not going to get a new transfer of the episodes unless Universal does it themselves. We've already been through the rigmarole of their transfer costs and how if a third party does a Universal title, it will mean using existing transfers.

That said, I think we've also heard before that some legal hold-up over literary rights to one of the episodes is why we're stopped dead at six seasons in R1.

Flashgear likes this.
  8. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    wasn't aware of the literary rigs issue on season 7 wonder which episode it is?

9. Flashgear

Flashgear Supporting Actor

Randall
    Dana, I share your frustration...AHP/AHH has been treated shamefully by Universal......I'm no expert, but from what I understand, there would likely be no problem for Universal to release the rest of the series on DVD (or Blu) in R1...as long as they do it themselves...which, we painfully understand, they are not interested in doing...the literary source rights complications only become prohibitive if a third party tries to release them under license from Universal...apparently, UK/EU and British Commonwealth copyright conventions are a great deal more liberal in interpretation and practice, thus we have had Madman release them in R4 and Fabulous Films release them in R2...I have the rest of AHP/AHH in the Fabulous R2 set and they are stunningly good...if you really want the rest of the series, I would go region free and get them...the US dollar's strength against the Pound Sterling makes them even more affordable...to hell with waiting on Universal is my feeling...

I don't know of any specific rights issues with the season 7 AHP episodes, not saying that there aren't any potential problems there...but I am certain that there could be huge complications with about 14 episodes (of 32) of the ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR season one (1962-63)...those 14 episodes, nearly all front loaded in the first half of that season, were all teleplays adapted from book length novels...unlike the rest which were original commissioned teleplays... Universal would likely not be challenged on the basis of their own original contract language in place for when they secured those literary rights back in the day...but a third party might be sued if they become involved...the potential fear of that happening, with the costs involved, deters most third party labels from running the risk...same thing with Fox and 12 O'Clock High...

Gary16 and Darby67 like this.
  10. Movie Maven

Movie Maven Stunt Coordinator

ed
    totally agree.... I waited long enough for season 7, 2 years ago I went to Madmen website to order and noticed they had a Hitchcock bday sale (films and tv series) ordered season 7 and the 3 season hour series cost with shipping little less than $120......already had 2 region free players...problem solved.

Gary16, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  11. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    thanks, that clears up a lot

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^I'd guess the extremely high defect rate on that original S1 DVD18 release is keeping many from purchasing other seasons. I was one of those for a very long time and finally just went ahead with purchases of S2-S6 anyway. I'm thrilled they're finally re-releasing S1 on proper, SS, discs. I pre-ordered a copy as soon as it went up. I hope that after that SS version of S1 they'll finally release that final season in the US.

Darby67 and Blimpoy06 like this.
  14. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Darby67 likes this.
  15. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I don't remember having any issues with my double-sided Season One discs playing, and I'm probably not going to buy a region-free player just to get the 7-10, so maybe I just wait for these to air on MeTV (right now they're still in the 1957 episodes).

Darby67 likes this.
  16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I had recorded most of the S7 episodes when Antenna ran AHP a few years ago and I thought I'd get the ones that Antenna didn't run when MeTV started playing it. However, MeTV skipped a handful of episodes throughout the series including the two Season Seven episodes that I needed (#27- Act Of Faith and #30- What Frightened You, Fred?). I'm assuming that they're not part of the syndication deal.

Darby67 and Hollywoodaholic like this.
  17. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Stunt Coordinator

A few years ago the Encore Suspense channel ran the AHH episodes (all, I think) uncut and commercial free. I was able to record them to DVD. Not perfect quality but not bad. Maybe the channel will do that again.

Darby67 and TravisR like this.
  18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    That's how I was finally able to see the complete one season run of The Green Hornet. I was so grateful Encores ran them through two or three runs of the show, and the quality was quite good.

19. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

For whatever reason, they skipped over one episode, To Catch a Butterfly. Not sure why as it ran on ME, although cut down to 46 minutes as all of their shows are.

Darby67 likes this.
  20. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Go-o-o-o-d E-e-e-even-n-n-ning!

I have (totally) disavowed any "Standard" DVD purchases myself. And it would take a lot to make me want to buy anything in this (now) antiquated medium.

But THIS is most definitely it!

At (long) last closure on the landmark debut first season (1955-56) of the ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (CBS 1955-61, NBC 1961-62) tv series.

Since Universal Home Entertainment has gone this far surely season seven (1961-62) will (ultimately) be coming.

Thank you Universal! You did the right thing.

To (appropriately) commemorate this most welcomed news provided is a weblink to an online videoclip of my favourite part in the entire show (at least as a kid).

The classic (and ominously disturbing) mid-episode "symphonic" commercial bumpers (presented in various incarnations):

Enjoy!

Jeff T.

;)