1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Powell&Pressburger, Oct 30, 2012.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    It may be "antiquated" but if you "(totally) disavow" standard DVD purchases you're locking yourself out of hundreds of TV programs, both old and new. Distributors have all but abandoned BR releases of TV content. There are some, but they are few and tend to be mostly niche/cult/high profile titles. If it's something I want, I'll *never* eschew purchasing just because it's only on DVD. That goes for both TV and theatrical product.

2. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Interesting to read about this episode. I've just started playing around with the UK release and came across this episode "To Catch a Butterfly" as a sampling regarding the PAL speed up. I own many PAL releases and generally the speed up hasn't been a concern for me. However, I've been watching Lou Grant lately and the voice change of Edward Asner became quite obvious to me. Thus, I've been playing around with how to correct it. I've tried keeping it in PAL (for the resolution gain) while slowing it down by 4%. This approach fixed the audio and playback speed, but unfortunately introduced a periodic judder from time to time (depending on the scene) due to I can only assume the duplication of frames in the process. Now I'm just trying a variety approach with respect to speed, pitch, resolution, and PAL vs NTSC to figure out what works best so i can convert all episodes in the series.

I'm really looking forward to finally seeing this episode since I've watched the first couple of minutes several times now and Asner's character really comes across creepy in those moments.

mattfire64, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  3. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Any news about The Alfred Hitchcock Hour?

Darby67 and shoeshineboy like this.
  4. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

If you are a legitimately true collector, you don't limit yourself to any one format. So, if you collect TV shows, that could mean DVD, VHS, Beta, 3/4, 16mm film, whatever. Same goes for NTSC, PAL or SECAM. If you collect music, same holds true.

5. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I'm sorry, I love my Blu and HD as much as the next snob, but to cut out standard DVD entirely?

I'm watching Moonlighting right now. Filmed show from the mid-80s. And you know what? It looks damn good (when the Cybil filter isn't being used). I'm actually surprised at how good it does look for a standard DVD. Could a Blu look better? Most likely. Will it ever happen? Most likely not. And the same goes for most all TV shows, new or old.

So why would one limit themselves to Blu only when 90% of all TV releases are on standard DVD? Hell, even major shows like Law and Order: Rape Rape are down to DVD-R MOD sets. You think it'll ever see a Blu release? It is to laugh.

Gary16, Craig Beam, Flashgear and 3 others like this.
  6. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

Craig Beam
    I'll be laughing hysterically at this for days, probably weeks.