What's new

AFI - 100 Years, 100 Songs (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"A sad omission, although it never really had a chance to make it to the list."

Any "greatest movie songs" list that contains a song from Dirty Dancing and packs in three Streisand numbers in the top 15, and even includes "Make Em Laugh" over "Be a Clown" (Ha!) -- such a list doesn't *deserve* to include "Miss Celie's Blues". Score one for The Color Purple, I say.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"A sad omission, although it never really had a chance to make it to the list."

Any "greatest movie songs" list that contains a song from Dirty Dancing and packs in three Streisand numbers in the top 15, and even includes "Make Em Laugh" over "Be a Clown" (Ha!) -- such a list doesn't *deserve* to include "Miss Celie's Blues". Score one for The Color Purple, I say.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Both "Singin' In The Rain" (a personal favourite) and "I Will Always Love You" (a personal worst) both appeared in earlier movies than the ones they're linked to on the list. "Singin'" was in one of those Broadway Melody Hollywood Revue Sodom on Parade early talkie musicals, as I recall, and "I Will Always" first appeared (on screen at least) in that legendary Burt Reynolds-Dolly Parton masterpiece BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS. In fact, some country music organization recently voted her rendition of it the best country song of all time. Personally, I still hate it, but them's the facts. I suspect there's others on this list that actually appeared in earlier films, but I guess a lot of them are pegged to Great Movie Moments, so what can you do?

Nice to see Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better" earning a spot at #67, while "You Light Up My Life" that piece of righteous pap that beat it at the Oscars that year, is nowhere on the list.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Both "Singin' In The Rain" (a personal favourite) and "I Will Always Love You" (a personal worst) both appeared in earlier movies than the ones they're linked to on the list. "Singin'" was in one of those Broadway Melody Hollywood Revue Sodom on Parade early talkie musicals, as I recall, and "I Will Always" first appeared (on screen at least) in that legendary Burt Reynolds-Dolly Parton masterpiece BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS. In fact, some country music organization recently voted her rendition of it the best country song of all time. Personally, I still hate it, but them's the facts. I suspect there's others on this list that actually appeared in earlier films, but I guess a lot of them are pegged to Great Movie Moments, so what can you do?

Nice to see Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better" earning a spot at #67, while "You Light Up My Life" that piece of righteous pap that beat it at the Oscars that year, is nowhere on the list.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Old Time Rock & Roll is a classic rock song, not filler.
I also think that we need to encourage any ‘rock ‘n roll’ song that includes ‘reminisce’ or similar words in its lyrics.

Bob Seger as Cole Porter. ;)

Still like that old time rock 'n' roll,
That kind of music just soothes the soul;
I reminisce about the days of old.
With that old time rock 'n' roll!

What’s not to like?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Old Time Rock & Roll is a classic rock song, not filler.
I also think that we need to encourage any ‘rock ‘n roll’ song that includes ‘reminisce’ or similar words in its lyrics.

Bob Seger as Cole Porter. ;)

Still like that old time rock 'n' roll,
That kind of music just soothes the soul;
I reminisce about the days of old.
With that old time rock 'n' roll!

What’s not to like?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Overall, I think the list is OK, but in many of the musicals, I have a different song that is my favorite.

There are also two glaring ommissions from recent years, both being Cameron Crowe films.

#1 - "Say Anything" - The Boombox scene with Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"

#2 - "Almost Famous" - The Bus scene with Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".

I don't know anybody that didn't love these scenes, and both of them placed in the top 5 of another poll.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Overall, I think the list is OK, but in many of the musicals, I have a different song that is my favorite.

There are also two glaring ommissions from recent years, both being Cameron Crowe films.

#1 - "Say Anything" - The Boombox scene with Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"

#2 - "Almost Famous" - The Bus scene with Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".

I don't know anybody that didn't love these scenes, and both of them placed in the top 5 of another poll.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I've looked, but can't seem to find the theme from Goldfinger
Found it.

As I watch the show last night I thought that the order made little difference. Number 97, 67, 17 all seemed about the same. Outside of #'s 1-10 they could have just alphabetized the rest.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I've looked, but can't seem to find the theme from Goldfinger
Found it.

As I watch the show last night I thought that the order made little difference. Number 97, 67, 17 all seemed about the same. Outside of #'s 1-10 they could have just alphabetized the rest.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay

Agreed!

I couldn't care less of tunes from the oldies. I'd rather see lists categorized by decades rather than 'all-time'.

Kachi.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay

Agreed!

I couldn't care less of tunes from the oldies. I'd rather see lists categorized by decades rather than 'all-time'.

Kachi.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Meh. I don't think "All That Jazz" should be there. Two big omissions from the final list are "Tequila" and "Somewhere Out There".

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Meh. I don't think "All That Jazz" should be there. Two big omissions from the final list are "Tequila" and "Somewhere Out There".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks