What's new

AFI 100 Years...100 Songs (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Tuesday night (June 22), CBS will present a 3-hour special listing the American Film Institute (AFI) selections for the 100 best songs in movies. I presume they'll be playing selected film clips, etc. I believe it starts at 8PM Eastern; check local listings.

I've always enjoyed music from the stage and screen, so I'll certainly be watching this special. I'm sure I won't agree with the rankings, but I'm looking forward to hearing some of the music. Should be interesting.

Steve K.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Tuesday night (June 22), CBS will present a 3-hour special listing the American Film Institute (AFI) selections for the 100 best songs in movies. I presume they'll be playing selected film clips, etc. I believe it starts at 8PM Eastern; check local listings.

I've always enjoyed music from the stage and screen, so I'll certainly be watching this special. I'm sure I won't agree with the rankings, but I'm looking forward to hearing some of the music. Should be interesting.

Steve K.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something (having thought about it for all of 10 minutes), but here's my guess for the top ten:

1. "Over the Rainbow"
2. "As Time Goes By"
3. "White Christmas"
4. "Mrs. Robinson"
5. "Moon River"
6. "Singin' In the Rain"
7. "Stayin' Alive"
8. The theme from "Shaft"
9. "The Way We Were"
10. "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head"

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something (having thought about it for all of 10 minutes), but here's my guess for the top ten:

1. "Over the Rainbow"
2. "As Time Goes By"
3. "White Christmas"
4. "Mrs. Robinson"
5. "Moon River"
6. "Singin' In the Rain"
7. "Stayin' Alive"
8. The theme from "Shaft"
9. "The Way We Were"
10. "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head"

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I hope Over the Rainbow takes it, but I have a feeling As Time Goes By will....if you look at past AFI specials, Black and White films usually come out on top:

Best Film
1. Citizen Kane

Best Comedy
1. Some Like it Hot

Best Thrilling Moment
1. Psycho

Best Romance
1. Casablanca

Best Hero
1. Atticus Finch "To Kill A Mockingbird"

....actually only the top villain, Hannibal Lecter, came from a color film....who knows....Over the Rainbow was in a black and white portion, so come to think of it!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I hope Over the Rainbow takes it, but I have a feeling As Time Goes By will....if you look at past AFI specials, Black and White films usually come out on top:

Best Film
1. Citizen Kane

Best Comedy
1. Some Like it Hot

Best Thrilling Moment
1. Psycho

Best Romance
1. Casablanca

Best Hero
1. Atticus Finch "To Kill A Mockingbird"

....actually only the top villain, Hannibal Lecter, came from a color film....who knows....Over the Rainbow was in a black and white portion, so come to think of it!

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I didn't catch much of the broadcast tonight, but I did record it on my PVR so I'll be able to watch it later. Without commenting on the selections, I was glad to see that the film clips were presented in their original aspect ratio. Maybe, just maybe, some people will learn that perhaps newer movies are supposed to have "black bars" on the top and bottom of the screen, whereas older movies usually fill the screen. Or is that hoping for too much?

Based on what I saw, I'm glad I didn't try to watch it live, as there seemed to be excessive commercials.

Steve K.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I didn't catch much of the broadcast tonight, but I did record it on my PVR so I'll be able to watch it later. Without commenting on the selections, I was glad to see that the film clips were presented in their original aspect ratio. Maybe, just maybe, some people will learn that perhaps newer movies are supposed to have "black bars" on the top and bottom of the screen, whereas older movies usually fill the screen. Or is that hoping for too much?

Based on what I saw, I'm glad I didn't try to watch it live, as there seemed to be excessive commercials.

Steve K.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
If they're gonna add Celion Dion and Eminem on there, they should have mentioned anything from South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. That soundtrack was brilliant!

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
If they're gonna add Celion Dion and Eminem on there, they should have mentioned anything from South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. That soundtrack was brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks