What's new

AFI - 100 Years, 100 Songs (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just as a note to everyone, XM was playing the whole list on Cinemagic this morning. I hadn't seen the list until now, so it was nice to discover some of the list.

Nice to see Carly Simon's "Let The River Run" towards the bottom of the list. Nice song.

I certainly think Bob Seger should be on the list, since for a lot of us, that song is very strongly associated with that film.

It also goes: it doesn't matter where the song first appeared, but what movie it is ingrained in us. I'm sure "Puttin on the Ritz" didn't make its first appearance in Young Frankenstein, but a lot of us who have seen it probably would associate it with that movie first.

#1 - "Say Anything" - The Boombox scene with Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"
No doubt, but I don't think the list had a lot of respect for 80s soundtracks in general. It did tend to skew older, in some cases a little too much.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just as a note to everyone, XM was playing the whole list on Cinemagic this morning. I hadn't seen the list until now, so it was nice to discover some of the list.

Nice to see Carly Simon's "Let The River Run" towards the bottom of the list. Nice song.

I certainly think Bob Seger should be on the list, since for a lot of us, that song is very strongly associated with that film.

It also goes: it doesn't matter where the song first appeared, but what movie it is ingrained in us. I'm sure "Puttin on the Ritz" didn't make its first appearance in Young Frankenstein, but a lot of us who have seen it probably would associate it with that movie first.

#1 - "Say Anything" - The Boombox scene with Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"
No doubt, but I don't think the list had a lot of respect for 80s soundtracks in general. It did tend to skew older, in some cases a little too much.

Jason

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I really enjoy these yearly AFI shows. You can't beat seeing a 3-hour special in prime time devoted to classic movies, and the discussions that always follow are an added bonus. I wonder what category they'll come up with next year. Maybe 100 favorite movie dialogue quotes?

As for last night's show, I was so glad to see "Goldfinger" and three songs from WEST SIDE STORY make the final cut.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I really enjoy these yearly AFI shows. You can't beat seeing a 3-hour special in prime time devoted to classic movies, and the discussions that always follow are an added bonus. I wonder what category they'll come up with next year. Maybe 100 favorite movie dialogue quotes?

As for last night's show, I was so glad to see "Goldfinger" and three songs from WEST SIDE STORY make the final cut.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Unless I missed a post, 3 pages of posts (and AFI's stinking list) and no one has expressed outrage that Prince's Purple Rain was totally passed over for ANY songs? "Windmills of Your Mind" gets included and "Purple Rain" is left out?

Also agreed that leaving out the boombox scene from Say Anything was a crime.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Unless I missed a post, 3 pages of posts (and AFI's stinking list) and no one has expressed outrage that Prince's Purple Rain was totally passed over for ANY songs? "Windmills of Your Mind" gets included and "Purple Rain" is left out?

Also agreed that leaving out the boombox scene from Say Anything was a crime.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hey, it's all a matter of taste. I love Windmills of Your Mind and hate Purple Rain, so that doesn't bother me at all. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hey, it's all a matter of taste. I love Windmills of Your Mind and hate Purple Rain, so that doesn't bother me at all. :)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I was rather fond of "Uncle Fucka" and "Blame Canada" from SOUTH PARK: BIGGER LONGER and UNCUT. Real shame it didn't make the list.

In fact the absence of most of the songs from that soundtrack is an absolute outrage! :D

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I was rather fond of "Uncle Fucka" and "Blame Canada" from SOUTH PARK: BIGGER LONGER and UNCUT. Real shame it didn't make the list.

In fact the absence of most of the songs from that soundtrack is an absolute outrage! :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Not at all. If music and films transcend time then why do we have plethora of remakes?
There are plenty of reasons—but the first and most obvious is that remakes happen because the theme or the story is timeless.

Some filmmakers remake films because they feel that either the first guy did not get it right (never said outwardly) or because advances in technology will allow for a more satisfying movie (the reasoning behind the remake of Godzilla and the one that Peter Jackson is going to do of King Kong). Given that Peter Jackson could probably do about anything he wished right now, I’d hazard a guess that he chose King Kong because it is timeless, not because it is not.

Another big reason for remakes is that filmmakers want to make some money and don’t have enough original ideas. Again, remakes tend to point toward timelessness in art, rather than the reverse.

Remakes of music are either called ‘covers’ or ‘plagiarism’. Either way, people don’t generally rerecord (or steal) bad music—they choose that which people have already shown that they love.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Not at all. If music and films transcend time then why do we have plethora of remakes?
There are plenty of reasons—but the first and most obvious is that remakes happen because the theme or the story is timeless.

Some filmmakers remake films because they feel that either the first guy did not get it right (never said outwardly) or because advances in technology will allow for a more satisfying movie (the reasoning behind the remake of Godzilla and the one that Peter Jackson is going to do of King Kong). Given that Peter Jackson could probably do about anything he wished right now, I’d hazard a guess that he chose King Kong because it is timeless, not because it is not.

Another big reason for remakes is that filmmakers want to make some money and don’t have enough original ideas. Again, remakes tend to point toward timelessness in art, rather than the reverse.

Remakes of music are either called ‘covers’ or ‘plagiarism’. Either way, people don’t generally rerecord (or steal) bad music—they choose that which people have already shown that they love.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I agree with Ernest. There have been some lame lists from AFI, but they're drudging now. This list is lame.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I agree with Ernest. There have been some lame lists from AFI, but they're drudging now. This list is lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks