What's new

A Question for 3D Nuts Who Have Given Up 3D (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We were there for some shopping and we checked out the 4K LEDs and OLEDs. I've always considered Visio to be the brand you buy if you don't have the bucks for better. They've raised their game, though the Samsungs and LGs are still better. The LCDs for Samsung and LG seem better than what my current LG is and of course, the OLEDs are drop-dead gorgeous.

The prices for a 75" or even 85" are so much lower than they used to be. I think one of the Samsungs had a 5 year warranty, though I don't know exactly what's covered. Even my wife, who's not a HT nut like me was impressed. I would have been on my knees begging her to buy one except for one thing, no 3D. I can't give up my 3D and we don't have the space to have a second HT system in the house.

Any 3D nuts out there who have given up their 3D to upgrade their display? How are you adapting? Is the 4K OLED technology good enough to soften the blow of losing 3D?

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yes. I just bought a top of the line Sony OLED 4K and even though I loved my plasma tv and hated giving up 3-D, the improvement even with upscale blu rays is very striking.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m in a halfway scenario - I used to run a dual display setup, that is, a TV screen for smaller screen content and a projector with a storable screen for stuff that demands bigness. Both were 3D capable, and then the TV died. So now I can only do 3D on the projector but not the TV. And due to some other changes, I’ve had to reconfigure the room in a way that makes using the projector not as practical for me as it used to be.

I’m finding that rather than watching 2D versions of things that come in 3D, that I’m just exploring more of my 2D collection that had been on the back burner while I was getting all 3D happy. I can’t quite bring myself to watch 3D movies in 2D where a significant portion of my enjoyment came from the 3D factor or where I felt the 3D was an actual part of the storytelling. I’m thinking I’ll just make a day or a long weekend out of revisiting 3D stuff instead.

I don’t know if any of that is particularly helpful but that’s all I could think of as far as an answer.

I don’t know how much 3D makes of your regular viewing but it’s one of those balance questions - if 10% of what you watch is in 3D, is it worth giving up that 10% to have the other 90% look better then ever? Or are you happy enough with what you’ve got that you don’t need that 90% to look any better than it already does?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I replaced one of my 3-D Panny Plasma's with an LG OLED. I still have two 3-D displays that I watch in which one is the last 3-D OLED model. I have another 3-D Panny VT model that is in a spare room that isn't even hooked up.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hey Robert, if you ever feel like driving to NY, I can probably give that guy a home :D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Any 3D nuts out there who have given up their 3D to upgrade their display? How are you adapting? Is the 4K OLED technology good enough to soften the blow of losing 3D?
Not in my house. I have the last 2016 OLED LG model that had 3D and a 3D plasma, both still working.

The OLED is my primary set in the home theater, and when it goes, I'll replace with a 4K set (probably a cheaper brand but maybe another OLED depending on price) and when the 3D plasma goes, I'll replace it with a projector that can do 3D to be brought out when I get the 3D urge.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wish all 3D was passive, not active 3D glasses. I have had unbelievable bad luck with dead 3D glasses...and at more than $25 each, it feels like I'm throwing money away. I own 6 from two different manufacturers. I'm down to one of them working with the five others not holding a charge, or just completely dead. It is scary to know these are made so wildly cheap, as if quality control does not exist.

If anything will kill my love for 3D, it would be this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have 3 3D sets

The awesome 4K LG OLED 65e6p with passive 3D

A Great Samsung 55” with active 3D

And a Sony 60”lcd that has mediocre 3D that’s sitting on my porch unplugged.

I’ll never part with them until they die.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
I actually have now joined the group of 3-D collecting that has come to a end, since my 2011 LG 55 inch just started dying on me and won't stay on more then 10 seconds. I now have to admit it's time to step into the 4k arena and wait until the next generation of 3d TVs come around. I too am hoping to be wowed by the in-home 4K picture vs the in-store demo, to not think about the 3D discs not being used.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I bought a new LG 4K 3D set 3 years ago right after the news broke, and I simply won't buy another new display that doesn't support it. If the TV dies then I'll get a projector and that will be my only display, it will kind of suck going back to active glasses but that's still better than losing 3D altogether. I waited 30 years for quality 3D at home, and it's disgusting that it finally happened only to be killed off by the industry. If I'm forced to buy another regular 2D display for any purpose, it will be second hand so the electronics companies won't see any of my money- on the other hand I'm willing to pay in the neighborhood of $10,000 for a display that still does what I want. There was certainly no reason not to at least keep 3D on displays priced above $2000, most people these days balk at spending more than $500 and those willing to spend more expect them to be able to do everything.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I actually have now joined the group of 3-D collecting that has come to a end, since my 2011 LG 55 inch just started dying on me and won't stay on more then 10 seconds. I now have to admit it's time to step into the 4k arena and wait until the next generation of 3d TVs come around. I too am hoping to be wowed by the in-home 4K picture vs the in-store demo, to not think about the 3D discs not being used.
You have my sincere sympathies for your loss. Any chance of a repair?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What about those of us who wanted to be 3D enthusiasts, and have a projector with 6 pairs of glasses to show for it, but found it's too much hassle and no one cares anyway?

Some friends were over and I was giving a little media room demo to their 20-something son. They were talking about my movie-parties and commented on 3D and I said I can do that. My wife asked, how come we never watch 3D anymore? I said, because you told me you don't like it and would rather watch normal movies! :angry:

So...I wanted to love 3D. But it wasn't worth the bother of dealing with glasses and cutting brightness in half, and friends who have visual issues and can't see 3D movies, or friends who get a bit queasy after 2 hours of it and ... and then there's the whole HTPC debacle of 3D...

3D is cool. But I had to give up out of pragmatism.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Passive glasses have zero issues with charging or breaking (I have tons of them, and keep a "disposable" pair close by to grab at a moment's notice if they're needed), and I can adjust my brightness enough to compensate for the dimming- I've even watched some 2D content that was flagged for 3D (extras on some Sony discs) with little to no loss in quality. I don't know what to say about people who can't see 3D or get queasy from it, too bad more of them don't also get queasy from bad theater presentations, overcompressed video or logo bugs on TV. All of those make me quite ill. Meanwhile my friend's LG TV quit working and the warranty replaced it with one that lacks 3D, so now he has a bunch of 3D movies he can no longer watch. It does have 4K but he's not at all impressed by that- I think it's nice but 3D should have been included in its standards, at this point it's like introducing a new higher-bitrate audio format without 5.1 capability- and for me losing 3D capability would be the same as losing that. The side-benefit of 4K was the ability to do passive 3D without the resolution loss earlier passive sets had- but of course LG never advertised that at all, I only heard about that through word of mouth, then they dropped it because it wasn't the MAIN reason people were buying their sets.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
bought a new LG 4K 3D set 3 years ago right after the news broke, and I simply won't buy another new display that doesn't support it. If the TV dies then I'll get a projector and that will be my only display, it will kind of suck going back to passive glasses but that's still better than losing 3D altogether.

I think you must have meant active glasses, because the LG sets used passive glasses. Projectors all require the use of active glasses.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'm one of the ones that joined 10 years too late but I've caught up with the craze. I have 366 3Ders with 12 still on the way from outside the US. I still have my Mit 65638 DLP 3D TV in the den and it's still going strong. I bought my 3D/4K PJ because looking at the 3D on the TV was odd to my eyes. Seeing 3D on the big screen is where its at...more immersion.

Upscaling BDs to 4K on my PJ is good enough because PJs don't really do 4K justice. And I sure as hell ain't buying some $15-20K or more PJ to justify buying UHDs ( I only have 11.)

For me as I watch a 2D BD, I'm thinking about how it would look in 3D, I'm so used to 3D. This will probably be my last PJ. My last one I had for 7 years and hopefully this one will last as long.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
You have my sincere sympathies for your loss. Any chance of a repair?
I've been looking into it, and even opened up the back panel to see it there was anything obviously wrong...but nothing. It comes on for about 15 seconds, makes a "phht" type noise and then shuts itself off and tries to come back on but just to a black screen. Doing some research (now that I got this problem) I see countless articles and posts with other LG people with the same issue. It's anywhere from power supply to motherboard responses for the so called answers. Some guy on YouTube even talked about taking your hand and smacking the area of the power supply, even though that sounds stupid I tried it since I have nothing lose...nothing.

I can say at least that when I took the back off, it was the cleanest looking insides I have ever seen for something I have had for over 3 years...no dust anywhere LOL.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What about those of us who wanted to be 3D enthusiasts, and have a projector with 6 pairs of glasses to show for it, but found it's too much hassle and no one cares anyway?

Some friends were over and I was giving a little media room demo to their 20-something son. They were talking about my movie-parties and commented on 3D and I said I can do that. My wife asked, how come we never watch 3D anymore? I said, because you told me you don't like it and would rather watch normal movies! :angry:

So...I wanted to love 3D. But it wasn't worth the bother of dealing with glasses and cutting brightness in half, and friends who have visual issues and can't see 3D movies, or friends who get a bit queasy after 2 hours of it and ... and then there's the whole HTPC debacle of 3D...

3D is cool. But I had to give up out of pragmatism.

Although I am down to 1 pair of working 3D glasses out of 6 (less than 5 years old all of them) I still haven't given up on it.
My big decision will be if I want to invest a couple $hundred more on new sets of glasses. Or just die out completely and let it go. 3D is still my preferred way to watch any movie that is capable. I can't watch it "flat" if I have already experienced it in 3D!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My big decision will be if I want to invest a couple $hundred more on new sets of glasses
What do you buy? The Elton John gold-plated, diamond-studded glasses? :D Or are these some proprietary model for your system? I've never paid more than $25 for a pair of active glasses for my DLP projector.

Do you still have any of the non-working pairs? Have you checked them recently? I had a pair that stopped working. Tried them several times and they wouldn't turn on. Several months later, I had yet to toss them, so I tried them again just for kicks and they seemed to work fine. Guess they'd been overworked and needed a vacation. ;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What do you buy? The Elton John gold-plated, diamond-studded glasses? :D Or are these some proprietary model for your system? I've never paid more than $25 for a pair of active glasses for my DLP projector.

Do you still have any of the non-working pairs? Have you checked them recently? I had a pair that stopped working. Tried them several times and they wouldn't turn on. Several months later, I had yet to toss them, so I tried them again just for kicks and they seemed to work fine. Guess they'd been overworked and needed a vacation. ;)

I was talking about buying 5 more 3D glasses for a total of 6. Well over a hundred dollars anyway.
I haven't tried the non working glasses again. Will check before I throw them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks