What's new

Don't Know About Anyone Else But 4K Is the End of the Line For Me (2 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Excellent point but when you get into larger screen sizes the increased pixels do matter, assuming they're derived from a good source and not an up-conversion of a poor one.
Hence my comment regarding screen size coming into play for higher resolutions. Excellent point, though.

CHEERS! :)

YANG

Screenwriter
Reading all that has followed my early comment above, there seems to be agreement that extracting additional details from film reels scanned at 8K is not reality for 35mm and probably not much value for 70mm as well. Therefore 8K's real attraction lies with digital 8K content... ... ...
should u've noticed, some TV series is already "made" in widescreen 2.35:1 ratio. and such trend is slowly creeping into TV production that in the future, we could probably see more to come. in probably another few years time, the 16:9 display which we had been living for the past 23yrs... might be switching into longer/wider shape of unknown ratio.

if i'm to guess, probably 2.1:1 where the number falls in between 2.35&1.85.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I have had a Vizio 2.35 LED panel for 10 years. It's 55 inches and works perfectly with auto adjust between aspect ratios.
I bout it at a close our warehouse for $450. Nobody wanted them back then but I love it! About 3K instead of 16×9 2K. I'm in bed watching Raiders on this panel tonight in prep for the new film.

Attachments

• 20230614_011656.jpg
    20230614_011656.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54

YANG

Screenwriter
this is the kind of display i would love to have to deal with the SAR-Switching Aspect Ratio releases!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I can say for sure that as far as physical media is concerned, 4K is the end of the road for me. I’m tired.
I'm not tired, but for me 4K is as far as I want to go. As one who watches mainly old movies, in my opinion better transfers are the key for domestic viewing, not more pixels. A well mastered Blu-ray disc derived from an excellent transfer is good enough for me. 4K is a useful spur to prompt studios to remaster properly those films which until now have been blighted by seriously sub-standard transfers, Rio Bravo being the prime example.

JagdTiger

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I've been watching some pretty stunning 8 and 12K demo material on Youtube. As pretty as those images are, though, I don't have any use for them outside of National Geographic-type content. I guess Sports are another outlet for those crystal clear images but I'm not into Sports. I spend most of my free time watching shot-on-film movies, with very little television programming outside the occasional news but I'm not sure if I want to see any of that material in 8K. Again, the pictures are pretty but everything looks like video, albeit high-quality video. I don't want back catalog films or TV shows to look like that. 4K is definitely the end of the line for me. If I ever get a hankerin' for more stunning footage of landscapes and fish, my LG OLED does a great job of conveying those images.

Frankly, I don't see a market for higher end displays outside of businesses who want to grab people's attention on sidewalks. Kinda like what places like Best Buy do on showroom floors. Nice pictures but not very practical in the real world (in people's homes).

Thoughts?
I didn't not like the soap opera picture quality either but somewhere it was stated that to watch the Cinerama or Todd-AO films it would require 20k?

JagdTiger

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
A next generation of video game consoles, might very well drive the consumer market for higher resolution screens once LG / Samsung (or somebody else) has got the manufacturing process down to a commodity science.
Xbox already has its own projector with 4k, Harmon Kardon speakers, short throw but less brightness however it appears free bulb replacement since it's not a laser system...free bulb?, a $1,600 system and free bulb replacement, everyone else has to pay for a replacement bulb, what is up with that?

JagdTiger

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
A better question is whether Joe Sixpack or Jane Q Public even knows what an 8K screen is.

Once 8K screens become common and all Joe Sixpack has to do is just plug in the cable box / streaming device via an HDMI cable, will they even know that they are on an 8K screen?
They may not and just buy what the sales people tell them too at best buys since they most likely are not going to any high-end stores

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
They’re trying to turn TVs from being a once in a decade or longer purchase into a disposable commodity to be replaced regularly like smartphones. It’s not quite planned obsolescence but just a cycle where whatever number of Ks your last TV was, next time you buy, it’ll be something different. At some point maybe they’ll realize that it’s diminishing returns, but as long as corporations are rewarded more for putting new products onto the market than they are for maintaining existing but useful products, we’re all probably trapped in this cycle.
That is pretty much true of just about anything these days, Josh, unfortunately.

Major appliances like refrigerators, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, dishwashers are only meant to last 4-5 years, which is why most extended warranties end at 4-5 years, usually with no option for renewal like they used to offer.

My sister's GE front-load washer lasted three years before it committed suicide (quite literally, even though I had warned her against purchasing that brand). Six months ago, she once again asked for my advice on what to purchase as a replacement, I gave her a list of make and models, and yet again she purchased exactly what I told her NOT to buy.

My father's LG dishwasher lasted around four years before it needed repairs that exceeded the cost of a new one. My LG top-load washer lasted a good ten years (which from what I have read is typical for that design). Yet I remember my parents purchasing a washer dryer pair in the mid 1970s that lasted well into the early 2000s and were only replaced because the retirement house my mother purchased in Arizona wasn't equipped for natural gas.

Nearly every flat panel I have purchased has only lasted four years at most. The exception is my 65" LG UHD non-HDR and passive 3D-capable TV that I purchased in 2015 and is still kicking strong (*knock on wood*). The 60" 1080p Samsung with active 3D initially died after 90 days, replaced with the same model that then died of the same issue just two years later and was replaced with the 65" LG. The Sony 55" UHD that I purchased before moving to Nevada for my home office lasted four years, replaced with the same size LG OLED C1 that so far has been great with no issues (again, *knock on wood*).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can say for sure that as far as physical media is concerned, 4K is the end of the road for me. I’m tired.

It's the end of the road for physical media period.

As others have noted, there's vanishingly little content that would be more than 4K.

4K discs are already a niche of a niche, so there's no way studios will be dumb enough to promote a niche of a niche of a niche.

No way there'll ever be 8K UHD discs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've been watching some pretty stunning 8 and 12K demo material on Youtube. As pretty as those images are, though, I don't have any use for them outside of National Geographic-type content. I guess Sports are another outlet for those crystal clear images but I'm not into Sports. I spend most of my free time watching shot-on-film movies, with very little television programming outside the occasional news but I'm not sure if I want to see any of that material in 8K. Again, the pictures are pretty but everything looks like video, albeit high-quality video. I don't want back catalog films or TV shows to look like that. 4K is definitely the end of the line for me. If I ever get a hankerin' for more stunning footage of landscapes and fish, my LG OLED does a great job of conveying those images.

Frankly, I don't see a market for higher end displays outside of businesses who want to grab people's attention on sidewalks. Kinda like what places like Best Buy do on showroom floors. Nice pictures but not very practical in the real world (in people's homes).

Thoughts?

Like others have said, you probably will eventually have no choice but to get an 8K TV if you want a new set.

But there are 2 discussions at work: buying 8K sets or buying media for 8K sets.

I expect a lot of us will buy 8K sets when/if they become the norm, but there won't be disc-based media for it.

Probably broadcast/streaming stuff but that's it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
2K discs & 4K streaming is fine for me. ATSC3.0 OTA (when DRM issues are resolved) will be the reason to upgrade from an WOLED to QDOLED or MLAOLED TV. I know my eye's ability to keep a tight focus on the screen is a limiting factor, despite having my eyes tested at ophalmologist two years ago and small change to my glasses prescription.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was in Best Buy today looking for an upgrade. In 2020, I went from a 40 inch Samsung that was dumb ie no smart tv platform. I got a 50 inch TCL 4 K UHD set that had the Roku platform. At the time it worked for what I wanted. However, 2 weeks ago I bought an Apple TV 4K device because I wanted Dolby atmos. In doing so, I ran out of HDMI inputs. My set has 3 and I need 4.

I mainly thought going to 4 K was awesome watching football games or basketball Baseball Etc. what would it look like in 8 K to watch a football game or other sporting event?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I mainly thought going to 4 K was awesome watching football games or basketball Baseball Etc. what would it look like in 8 K to watch a football game or other sporting event?
It won’t make any difference because there’s no 8K content. It might actually look a little worse because everything will need to be upscaled.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At this time, there isn't much 8K resolution content which is easily available.

In the near future, the first widely available native 8K content might very well be some video games.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It's the end of the road for physical media period.

As others have noted, there's vanishingly little content that would be more than 4K.

4K discs are already a niche of a niche, so there's no way studios will be dumb enough to promote a niche of a niche of a niche.

No way there'll ever be 8K UHD discs.
I think you’re correct- the days of physical discs are sadly coming to an end, so there won’t be any 8K discs of any programming.

Even if there were 8K coming out, I’ll just stick to my 4K UHD- the end of the line for me. I don’t do streaming, and I don’t buy discs as frequently as I used to. Some on this thread brought up the point that 8K
wouldn’t be a noticeable improvement over 4K for most people, and for most home theater viewing setups. I definitely agree with this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks