What's new

Don't Know About Anyone Else But 4K Is the End of the Line For Me (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
For people in the U.S., standard definition NTSC format video was the common standard from about 1950-2000. That’s more or less fifty years where everything was essentially locked in place.
I remember the work I went through hacking a small color TV set in the 1970s to wire up a connector for preamp level audio output. The NTSC audio format was as good as FM broadcast audio of the day - my friends were amazed hearing TV audio played through my stereo system.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There may even be a different kind of cable needed for 8K other than HDMI. Or is that the end of the line as far as cables?
Monoprice and other retailers are already selling 8K spec HDMI cables. They will become standard and the older ones no longer sold.

Monoprice already sells a 48Gbs 6 foot 8K HDMI cable for 99 cents.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
2K discs & 4K streaming is fine for me. ATSC3.0 OTA (when DRM issues are resolved) will be the reason to upgrade from an WOLED to QDOLED or MLAOLED TV.
We still have been living with ATSC 1 since the 1990s. IIRC I was a "first audience" for ATSC HDTV from station KQED San Francisco's very first DTV broadcast on 24 May 2000. We all were tuned in ahead of time, and the station manager in SDTV announced they were pleased to present a pioneering view of Nature in ATSC HDTV. My screen went black for a moment as the RCA DTC-100 tuner resynced. And then. A background of sand was presented and you could see individual grains. Then a big snake slithered across the screen and you could see all the individual scales. It was the show Nature in 1080i.

Historic posting. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/kqed-in-sf-to-go-digital.55468/#post-424753

We had to email our reception quality reports into the techs at KQED as there were only about 100 people in the SF area that were equipped to receive ATSC back then.

ATSC 2.0 was stillborn, which is why the next gen is to ATSC 3.0. The only ATSC 3.0 broadcasts in Boise are from some pay-per-view station so I'm not interested at present.

Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
We still have been living with ATSC 1 since the 1990s. IIRC I was a "first audience" for ATSC HDTV from station KQED San Francisco's very first broadcast around 2002. We all were tuned in ahead of time, and the station manager in SDTV announced they were pleased to present a pioneering view of Nature in ATSC HDTV. My screen went black for a moment as the RCA DCT-100 tuner resynced. And then. A background of sand was presented and you could see individual grains. Then a big snake slithered across the screen and you could see all the individual scales. It was the show Nature in 1080i.

We had to email our reception quality reports into the techs at KQED as there were only about 100 people in the SF area that were equipped to receive ATSC back then.

ATSC 2.0 was stillborn, which is why the next gen is to ATSC 3.0. The only ATSC 3.0 broadcasts in Boise are from some pay-per-view station so I'm not interested at present.
Wow, that's early. Around 2002 I got my first widescreen TV (Panasonic 30" CRT with component video) that was used solely for DVD in my man cave. Around 2009 (the switch over) I got the Panasonic HD tuner. Then much later, a plasma for the family room & Roku streamer.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Sorry that I had to edit my post above a few times.

My 4k DLP projector arrives tomorrow: an Optoma UHD35x. As I age I'm getting farther behind the times.

mi_z

Agent
Real Name
Tom
the kind of thing you replace every couple of years, like a phone.
Which is complete BS of course. I don't know why anyone accepts having to replace their phone so frequently. What I do on my phone now is the same thing I did 10 years ago. My computer can last 10 years, and a phone should too.

Frankly, there’s still relatively little 4K content being produced. The majority of theatrical release movies are still being completed at 2K resolution. A great deal of made-for-television content is still being completed at 2K resolution.

I'm not sure if that is true anymore. It was a few years ago, but checking at least IMDb technical specs pages (questionable reliability) for films I saw in the cinema this year (Tar, Fabelmens, Pearl, DnD, Across Spider Verse, Beau is Afraid, Dead Reckoning, Barbie, Oppenheimer), and a few more I am seeing soon (Past Lives, First Slam Dunk) and all aside from the animated films have a 4K digital intermediate according to those pages. Pearl being relatively low budget, I think I can be more confident to say this pattern applies across the industry.

Also, the number of catalogue 4k films is ramping up, scanned in 4k from source elements, so there the number of "genuine" 4k films is increasing substantially right now.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Which is complete BS of course. I don't know why anyone accepts having to replace their phone so frequently.
No one has to. I know lots of people who buy last year’s phone and keep it for 5 years.

I buy every two or three years because I want the new capabilities and features, especially the ever improving cameras. I really want to buy new phone next month to upgrade from my current two year old phone, but I told my wife not to let me. :)

schugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay Chugh
Same for me. I only had (still have) a JVC 4K (faux-k) projector in my movie room the last few years and only got a new Samsung S90C just a few weeks ago to replace my aging Panasonic Plasma in the family room. The other TVs in the house are still 1080p.
I've never been one to replace my TV every few years. Hope this one last a long time also. And I certainly won't be upgrading any current 4K films that I own if anyone every comes out with 8K versions of regular films.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I upgraded to 4K 2160 3 years ago with a Roku series 4 50 inch model. Just this week I upgraded to a Samsung qled 55 inch with Tizen. It will be at least 5 years before I even l look at another TV ad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks