What's new

A Question for 3D Nuts Who Have Given Up 3D (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got some pairs of generic active glasses that were every bit as good or better than the active glasses that came with my plasma TV. And those generic glasses were rechargeable whereas my "official glasses" had to have the battery disc replaced fairly regularly (if you watched a lot of 3D as I did when I first got the TV).

If you're talking about active glasses, have you gone to Ebay and searched for rechargeable 3D glasses?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I got some pairs of generic active glasses that were every bit as good or better than the active glasses that came with my plasma TV. And those generic glasses were rechargeable whereas my "official glasses" had to have the battery disc replaced fairly regularly (if you watched a lot of 3D as I did when I first got the TV).

If you're talking about active glasses, have you gone to Ebay and searched for rechargeable 3D glasses?

E-Bay has some great prices for active DLP glasses. $15 and cheaper is the right price. I'll give it a try.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Last month started year 8 for my 80” 3D vizio.
I have well over 100 3D movies.

How many have I watched last few years? Count in one hand.

I just picked up the T. S. Spivet movie so I’m for sure watching that soon. But

I feel like this tv is on borrowed time as I’m seeing some loss in its ability to provide good black levels.

I expect within the next 12 months I’ll be getting a new tv and will have a ton of 3D discs that I can’t watch anymore.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
NEVER giving up on 3D!!!

I'm heavily invested in enough 3D hardware and software to preclude ever having to give up this exciting (now niche, at least for the time being) format!

Until the 4K TV manufacturers come to their senses and reintroduce 3D somewhere along the line (I firmly believe that it has to happen sooner or later) I'll continue to support companies that will release a 3D Blu-ray. Meanwhile, I'm writing letters to the manufacturers complaining about the lack of 4K 3D support and promising to put my money where my mouth is. If enough 3D fanatics do this, it may turn the tide.

One tip to those with dead rechargeable 3D glasses. Buy the ones that have a replaceable battery (if available for your make/model. ) I've had very good luck with those.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
imho, 3D on small screens is not as impact-ful as with frame-based 3D. currently have Optoma HD25e frame-based 3D and it's amazing.

larger the screen the better... so imho i dont need it on the smaller displays. the only issue is buying more glasses... with regard to that the Epson projectors are better as they've got their RF emitter built in.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just found this thread.

I have a projector so getting rid of 3D is not an issue for me. Most projectors still support the format.

I have said this in other related threads...

As someone who labeled myself as a "3D GURU," I have lost interest in the format.

For the most part, Hollywood really never gave enthusiasts anything to be excited about.

That being said, I have a sizeable 3D collection and would always need some way to show them. Fortunately, investing in a projector will keep that capability alive.

However, if I was someone who didn't want to get into projection and knew my options were grave when it came to buying a new display, I would probably look to sell my 3D collection -or- hold on to it with the hopes of buying a projector one day.

No-one can predict the future and say definitively that 3D will be introduced into 4k or 8k specs. However, I can't see why it would. The only people really talking 3D is those of us on Internet forums. We are such a small group of supporters. The studios have already stopped offering 3D versions of their releases on Blu which should tell you much. If they are not making money on the format, why would there be an incentive to add it to the 4k spectrum?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If It wasn't for projection, I would have given up on 3D long ago. My 3D TV never gets used for 3D anymore.
At this point it is almost comical how long it has taken to kill the format. As long as movies are still offered on disc in the U.K. and the U.S. (WB) I will continue to buy them. As long as theaters continue to show 3D movies that is how I will watch them.

I'm not sure what the Summer blockbusters this year have to offer for 3D, but it will be interesting to see if the studios (minus Paramount) continue to support the format in theaters, and on BD.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Onward is still shown in 3D... so it still exists... the issue is whether films makes it out on disc itself.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If It wasn't for projection, I would have given up on 3D long ago. My 3D TV never gets used for 3D anymore.
At this point it is almost comical how long it has taken to kill the format. As long as movies are still offered on disc in the U.K. and the U.S. (WB) I will continue to buy them. As long as theaters continue to show 3D movies that is how I will watch them.

I'm not sure what the Summer blockbusters this year have to offer for 3D, but it will be interesting to see if the studios (minus Paramount) continue to support the format in theaters, and on BD.

While there may be a few theatrical releases in 3D this Summer (and it appears there are less each year), the chances of them being released in 3D Blu-ray is very slim. They may get a 3D release overseas, but obtaining them is usually dependent on those who have region-free players.

I don't even see the Avatar sequels reviving enough interest. Yes, it will definitely impress those who buy a 3D ticket in theaters. Yes, the positive reactions could spark 3D BD releases (note: this is a Disney title so beware), but I don't see it changing the landscape as far as the format being resurrected.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think Disney (in general) has done a better job for their AAA titles. like Lion King 2019 in 3D or Aladdin.

the issue most of the other studios have given up. long as it's available elsewhere, 3D enthusiasts still have the option to import it.

but killing it internationally means the format is dead on home video :(

having said that i'm glad 3D Archive is still at it! they are about to release 3D rarities Part 2!~ i LOVE the old films in 3D

While there may be a few theatrical releases in 3D this Summer (and it appears there are less each year), the chances of them being released in 3D Blu-ray is very slim. They may get a 3D release overseas, but obtaining them is usually dependent on those who have region-free players.

I don't even see the Avatar sequels reviving enough interest. Yes, it will definitely impress those who buy a 3D ticket in theaters. Yes, the positive reactions could spark 3D BD releases (note: this is a Disney title so beware), but I don't see it changing the landscape as far as the format being resurrected.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's very sad that Disney actually led the torch for 3D Blu-ray releases with a wave of EXCEPTIONAL titles.

However, in the end, they were the first to kill it. That confirms to me it wasn't about disinterest but rather not seeing enough return on their efforts.

There is hope for continued 3-D Archive releases, however, I find some of their titles difficult to sit through. Not a fault of theirs but just the reality that a lot of those titles are low-budget films. That's just my personal observation.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
absolutely... which ironically lends to the whole "gimmick" thing.

i wonder how the avatar sequels will do with trying to re-introduce 3D back >P

It's very sad that Disney actually led the torch for 3D Blu-ray releases with a wave of EXCEPTIONAL titles.

However, in the end, they were the first to kill it. That confirms to me it wasn't about disinterest but rather not seeing enough return on their efforts.

There is hope for continued 3-D Archive releases, however, I find some of their titles difficult to sit through. Not a fault of theirs but just the reality that a lot of those titles are low-budget films. That's just my personal observation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
absolutely... which ironically lends to the whole "gimmick" thing.

i wonder how the avatar sequels will do with trying to re-introduce 3D back >P

I see the problem as there is just one single major film in a year's time that will lure people into theaters to see it specifically in 3D.

I doubt it will be enough to revitalize the industry, though. If the public couldn't accept nor move 3D forward when there were over a dozen releases per year in theaters, they aren't going to move the needle with these two franchise releases.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Since I started this thread I have upgraded to an atmos system. It has met and exceeded my expectations and has caused to start thinking about what will happen when I have to choose between atmos and 3D for the first time. It pisses me off that I have to make the choice. Even if I were to buy both versions (which I won’t) that only postpones the decision to listen to atmos or watch 3D. Why can’t I do both at once?

This PISSES me off!

Rant over.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Plenty of 3D discs with Atmos included.

And as I've said a billion times, it's ridiculous to remove any capability from a TV. My next display will be a projector, unless there's at least a way to add active 3D to TVs that don't include it internally.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Plenty of 3D discs with Atmos included.

And as I've said a billion times, it's ridiculous to remove any capability from a TV. My next display will be a projector, unless there's at least a way to add active 3D to TVs that don't include it internally.
I disagree. There are some, but they are the exception. Can you name those with Atmos, please?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny, in my collection of 380 3Ders, 33 are Atmos and 2 are DTS-X.
I have no where near that many 3Ders and I’m not sure if any of mine have Atmos. When I filter my collection for Atmos (and DTS;X) a few show up, but that may be the 2D blu ray in the box. I’ll have to manually check them to see if the 3D has Atmos.

Your stats support my belief that very few 3D movies have Atmos. If you ever get the ambition, I would love to see your list of 3D atmos movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks