What's new

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Is it the framer’s job to put the 3 sheets together?

Theatrical three sheets are normally in two pieces and the best way to frame them is to get them conservation mounted onto linen and then framed. I'm assuming these 3-sheet reprints are in one piece.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Theatrical three sheets are normally in two pieces and the best way to frame them is to get them conservation mounted onto linen and then framed. I'm assuming these 3-sheet reprints are in one piece.
I believe they’re probably 3 27 x 41s.

Linen backing is nice, but will normally cost more than these 3-sheets.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If these reprints are on a heavy paper (or a single sheet of paper), then linen backing wouldn't be needed.
Wonderful, heavy paper, and three parts for 3-sheets. I just mounted two 1-sheets earlier today, and I'm thrilled with them.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Interesting. If the paper is stiff enough, and a minimum of acid free framing tape is carefully applied to the back to hold the three parts together, no linen mounting should be needed.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I believe they’re probably 3 27 x 41s.

Linen backing is nice, but will normally cost more than these 3-sheets.
I’m looking at my three and imagining them assembled as one. Wow! What a sight that poster will be. The King in all his glory.
Wonderful, heavy paper, and three parts for 3-sheets. I just mounted two 1-sheets earlier today, and I'm thrilled with them.
Which ones did you get?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My 3-sheet is at the framers now. I can’t wait to hang it and it should be ready in 3 weeks.
Your gonna need a truck to bring that baby home...and a friend to help hang it. I’ll eat my liver with envy when you post pics of it.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Johnny, is there anywhere on the poster that states that it is not an original but a reproduction?

I say that when I had copies of the great monster movies (actually only two)...CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and FORBIDDEN PLANET and it stated on the back...THEY WERE REPRODUCTIONS.

I couldn't afford the real copies...then and now!

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny, is there anywhere on the poster that states that it is not an original but a reproduction?

I say that when I had copies of the great monster movies (actually only two)...CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and FORBIDDEN PLANET and it stated on the back...THEY WERE REPRODUCTIONS.

I couldn't afford the real copies...then and now!
First, these are not original posters. Basically another artist using the lithographic process has recreated the posters. There is an “S2” embossed on the posters and they are hand numbered. They are beautiful.

If an artist sits down in front of The Mona Lisa and paints it again, attempting to create something as close to the original as he can, is his “copy” an original. There’s not another like it in the world. Because these posters go thru the press multiple times for each color, I’ll bet all “The Mummy” posters aren’t identical either.

They were sold as lithographic reproductions, so there’s no deception. No, there’s no reproduction stamped on it. As collectables, they are probably not worth much. An original “The Mummy” in poor shape would fetch a LOT of money, far more then the beautiful version I have. One clear sign they aren’t originals is that there’s been no attempt to age them, they are pristine.

You have good taste in posters and I now have a beautiful version of CFTBL.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just clicked on a few of the posters and none of them were sold out. I only know of “The Mummy” and “Footlight Parade” as sold out. There may be more, I just looked at a sample.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve googled for a list of “AFI’s 100 Greatest Movie Posters” and haven’t found it. Anyone have any luck.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I hope the framer is using plexiglass, glass would make it so heavy and it collects heat.
yes. UV plexiglass. I had no choice since the museum glass I use on my other posters and pictures did not come that large. Actually, I wouldn't have used the museum glass anyway due to the weight you mentioned. Thanks.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
yes. UV plexiglass. I had no choice since the museum glass I use on my other posters and pictures did not come that large. Actually, I wouldn't have used the museum glass anyway due to the weight you mentioned. Thanks.
I forgot to ask, is the poster delivered as 3 separate sheets?
Are they shipping these internationally, as I am in Australia?
How’d it turn out? Did you decide to buy any?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks