What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always found the opening of John Ford's 3 Godfather's at once quite sad, and yet it makes me smile whenever I see it.

A 1948 film that "introduced" Harry Carey, Jr. is memorialized to his father - one of the stalwart of the silent western era of cinema. Mr. Carey, Jr. was actually introduced as a baby in the 1921 in Desperate Trails. Try to find a copy.

Harry Carey had appeared in more than a few films between his initial appearance in Bill Sharkey's Last Game, a 1910 short directed by D.W. Griffith and his final in So Dear to My Heart in 1948.

In between, he appeared in well over 200 films in the silent era alone, and in sound was seen in Barbary Coast, The Prisoner of Shark Island, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Air Force, Duel in the Sun, Sea of Grass and Red River.

He had a certain way that he moved. That he stood.

And that was captured in his memorial at the opening of 3 Godfathers. You'll find it again with the image of John Wayne standing silhouetted in the doorway in The Searchers.

All is merely preface to these few words about Warner Archive's new Blu-ray of 3 Godfathers, which I'll simply reference as magisterial perfection in reproducing the look and textures of three-strip technical on Blu-rays.

Everyone needs a copy.

Did I mention that the film is directed by John Ford, with a screenplay by Laurence Stallings and Frank Nugent and photographed in Winton Hoch? You'll also find Mae Marsh, another Griffith player still at work for Mr. Ford. 3 Godfathers was actually a remake of the 1916 Ford silent. It also used the same source as the 1936 film. The silent version is not known to exist.

Image – 10

Audio – 9 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - You better believe it!

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating -n/a

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/3-Godfathers...712291935&sprefix=3+godfathers,aps,117&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I watched my Blu-ray yesterday which made my special day on Friday even more special. A beautiful Blu-ray presentation.

I also watched the 1936 film adaptation that is a bonus feature on this Blu-ray. Another outstanding 1080p presentation.
Wish we could see the 1916.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My copy is being delivered on Wednesday. Can’t wait to revisit it.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Leonard Maltin is introducing the 1936 version on April 19 at the TCM Classic Film Festival - in 35mm !

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The 1936 version of 3 Godfathers - which is quite a Bonus Feature and gift to have in this package from WAC - was directed by Richard Boleslawski. This is the same Richard who penned and published “Acting: The First Six Lessons” (1933). The alternate spelling of his name, on this tiny and deceptively simple volume, is Boleslavsky - sounds like Stanislavsky - with whom Richard trained under at The Moscow Art Theater.

Richard Boleslavsky is “Method” all the way with a capitol “M”. For those interested in stage techniques, I strongly recommend “Acting: The First Six Lessons” (Theater Art Book). It remains a main staple, has never gone out of print in these 91 years and is mandatory reading for every serious student of stage and film who is planning to train for this field. It’s also a fantastic read for everyone else who finds the mechanics and fundamentals of acting to be of interest.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Such a bonus feature in this package of 3 Godfathers, as WAC saw fit to GIVE us the 1936 version, directed by Richard Boleslawski. This is the same Richard who had seen his most famous and indelible book published only 3 years earlier entitled “Acting: The First Six Lessons”. The spelling of his name, on this tiny and deceptively simple volume, is Boleslavsky - sounds like Stanislavsky - to whom Richard trained diectly under at The Moscow Art Theater.

Richard Boleslavsky is “Method” all the way with a capitol “M”. For those interested in stage techniques, I strongly recommend “Acting: The First Six Lessons”. It remains a main staple, has never gone out of print in these 91 years and is mandatory reading for every serious student of the stage who is training for this field.
And director of the Gorgeous Technicolor Garden of Allah

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mr. Harris, what do you mean by "It also used the same source as the 1936 film."?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Good blind buy for someone interested in this genre? What little I know about it appeals to me and having a great transfer makes it more so.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The DVD was a blind buy for me back in the day and I’ve never regretted it, if that helps.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't know that I'd recommend it as a blind buy unless you're already an established John Ford fan. Some of his classics like Three Godfathers and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon will be more appealing once you've spent some time with him, and might be a little off-putting if you haven't. It can take a bit for his broad sentimentality and humor to work their way under your skin. But by the same token, I don't want to discourage anyone from giving it a try, so by all means take the plunge!

I haven't had a chance to check this one out yet since it just landed at my doorstep, but if it looks even close to as beautiful as the WAC Blu-ray for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon was, it's going to be absolutely gorgeous. By all means, pick it up for that reason alone!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For decades, every Christmas season I watch 3 Godfathers so that tells you how much I love this movie. As good as Wayne was in this movie, Pedro Armendariz and Harry Carey Jr. were equally good in their roles. The 1936 film adaptation isn’t any slouch either. Far less sentimental with fewer religious references, it’s a really great movie too. Though the major premise is the same for both movies there are some major differences between them.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Hell's Heroes (1929) is also based on Kyne's story-

20240405-032117.JPG

20240405-032150.JPG

20240405-032154.JPG

TCM shows this and WA released it as a double feature DVD with Three Godfathers (1936).

514-hwaX8eL.jpg

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
The 1929 version probably needs a lot of work to make the jump to HD.

Charles Bickford played the John Wayne part---

20240405-151343.JPG

20240405-151558.JPG

Bickford would team up again with William Wyler ~30 years later in The Big Country (1958)---

2Bick.png

Attachments

• 20240405-151757.JPG
    20240405-151757.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale