What's new

Tom Doyle

Insider
Real Name
Tom
@Scottsdale Art Group Tom, I think members would be interested in reading more about your movie posters. For instance, when they were produced and any other history you might know. How did your company come to acquire them.

BTW, did you ever figure out the weight of the paper for the posters?
Hey Johnny, either a Rives or Coventry paper was used, Acid free archival, typical 140lbs, its high quality paper. S2 published the posters between 2000-2008 depending on image. The inventory was purchased out of receivership in 2013, the inventory stayed at the Las Vegas warehouse where it's dropped shipped directly to customers. I hope that helps.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hey Johnny, either a Rives or Coventry paper was used, Acid free archival, typical 140lbs, its high quality paper. S2 published the posters between 2000-2008 depending on image. The inventory was purchased out of receivership in 2013, the inventory stayed at the Las Vegas warehouse where it's dropped shipped directly to customers. I hope that helps.
Who has the presses?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This is something I always thought was a no-no.

I wouldn't do it with a glossy photograph since those can adhere to the glass, but I've never had an issue with any of my movie posters or lobby cards (no matter the surface texture of the paper), some of which have been in the same frame for 20 years or more.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This is something I always thought was a no-no.
Eons ago; and no longer updated; I was of the understanding that a custom matte was not only aesthetically pleasing, but also served as a protective buffer to keep the poster from coming into contact with the glass and/or plexiglass. Would this still be valid, today?

Last edited:

Tom Doyle

Insider
Real Name
Tom
Who has the presses?
Hey Johnny, the Voirin French press is at the Las Vegas warehouse. Manufactured in the late 1800's, originally powered by steam then converted to electric in the early 1900's. It's literally a piece of printing history. The press is highlighted on the lithography Video on the website. The Majority of Dali's and Picasso's prints were created using this press.

Attachments

• Voirin Press.JPG
    Voirin Press.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 13

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hey Johnny, the Voirin French press is at the Las Vegas warehouse. Manufactured in the late 1800's, originally powered by steam then converted to electric in the early 1900's. It's literally a piece of printing history. The press is highlighted on the lithography Video on the website. The Majority of Dali's and Picasso's prints were created using this press.
Oh, wow! Does that mean my CFTBL was printed on the same press as Picasso’s? Will the press be used again? BTW, my poster will not arrive till Monday. Weather delay.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I did a search for the Mummy and found an article in something like at Irish Times. I should have saved it. The article was dated 2018 and was about the most expensive movie poster ever. Sotheby’s was expecting to fetch in excess of $1 milllion for an original Mummy.

The article went on to say that before the 40’s movie posters were lithographs printed on high quality paper. Despite that I think the original is out of my price range. :lol:

Tom Doyle

Insider
Real Name
Tom
Oh, wow! Does that mean my CFTBL was printed on the same press as Picasso’s? Will the press be used again? BTW, my poster will not arrive till Monday. Weather delay.
Yes Sir, Sorry to hear about the weather delay. Thought you'd like to see these photo's. Each S2 Posters has the S2 Chop mark and also a AFI chop.

Attachments

• AFI Chop Mark.JPG
    AFI Chop Mark.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Kong with COA.JPG
    Kong with COA.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Numbered .JPG
    Numbered .JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 17
  • S2 Chop Mark.JPG
    S2 Chop Mark.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 16

David Morrell

Insider
Real Name
David
I'm the one who mentioned these S2 Artgroup lithographs to Bob Harris. Their clarity and color are stunning, on thick high-quality paper. I use poster hangers from posterhangers.com. Easy to mount and switch out if I want a new look.The lithographs are exact artist reproductions of the original posters and have an artist's signature and a number to distinguish them from the originals. Scottsdale Art group likes to do business over the phone. So, look at the selection on their website. Then call the phone number or send an email to contact them. This is a photo of the THIEF OF BAGDAD poster. Each time I look at it, I see new details. I also bought the GILDA poster from Scottsdale Art Group.

Attachments

• Thief of Bagdad 1.jpeg
    Thief of Bagdad 1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

Tom Doyle

Insider
Real Name
Tom
Thank you for the kind words David. Glad to hear your happy with the purchase, thanks for sharing the photo of Thief of Bagdad, Looks beautiful. FYI - We're getting low on "Sin of Nora" and "Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars". I'm always working, please call or email any time to discuss.

Tom Doyle
Scottsdale Art Group
[email protected]
480 294 3990

• Appreciate

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I received CFTBL on Saturday but didn’t open it until today to measure it. It was 40 7/8 x 26 3/4. A little less the official 27 x 41. Glad I measured.

I don’t remember if I mentioned this, but in a moment of weakness I also ordered “Attack of the 50ft Woman.” I did it the worst way I could by ordering it separately and not saving on shipping. Drat.

Then I called Hollywood Poster Frames. Talked to Susan Heim and told her what the frames were for and how I wished the Mummy were available. She said she had an S2 of The Mummy and would sell it to me. With permission from “She who must be obeyed”, I ordered it. So now in a house where I thought I only had room for one poster, I will have three.

P.S. I found room for them.

1614703159174.jpeg
1614703184568.jpeg
1614703212088.jpeg
1614703245879.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m curious, after I posted that Hollywood Posters had an S2 poster, someone called asking about them. Who called and did she have what you wanted?

I may have misled you. She may have only had that one S2 of The Mummy, which is now mine. She mentioned she had a Forbidden Planet, but I don’t think it was an S2.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Frames have been ordered from Hollywood Poster Frames. I’m hoping to get them this coming week. Also ordered from HPF is an S2 of “The Mummy”, the Karloff version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikWRX