What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
McCrea was three years younger than Jimmy Stewart, who played Miles' love interest/husband in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, and two years younger than John Wayne, who played Stewart's rival.
There are so many examples of similar age casting that the list of such movies would be very long.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
McCrea was three years younger than Jimmy Stewart, who played Miles' love interest/husband in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, and two years younger than John Wayne, who played Stewart's rival.
John Ford had acknowledged that his two male leads were much too old for the parts they were portraying. But star-power goes a long way selling tickets, and those two oozed star-power in spades.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Obviously I know Hollywood has a history of waaaay too old leading men.

That doesn't mean I can't say I don't think it works for this movie and becomes a distraction.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

That doesn't mean I can't say I don't think it works for this movie and becomes a distraction.

From the perspective of the film industry it may not have looked that odd to see Sarah Miles with Joel McCrea.

Plenty of marriages in the film world where the men were 20+ years older than their Women. Mike Todd, Humphrey Bogart, Anthony Quinn, John Wayne, Carlo Ponti, Gary Grant and Anthony Mann come to mind.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From the perspective of the film industry it may not have looked that odd to see Sarah Miles with Joel McCrea.

Plenty of marriages in the film world where the men were 20+ years older than their Women. Mike Todd, Humphrey Bogart, Anthony Quinn, John Wayne, Carlo Ponti, Gary Grant and Anthony Mann come to mind.
And Sarah Miles and Robert Mitchum?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'm not telling you otherwise because I realize that's your issue with this film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
And of course Mr. Stewart falling for Ms Novak, 25 years his junior. There are so many facets to casting, sometimes it’s best to shy away.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Refreshed

Upglowed

Reglossed

Prettified

Swellified

Given a film-spa treatment

Hotdamned

Spruceydeuced

Fifth-Avenued

Gobsmacktified

Reaudiovisualized

Refabulated

Holysmoked

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Him falling for her I can buy - it’s her falling for him that’s a bigger ask.
I watched my BD of this film the other day, and it really wasn’t a satisfying viewing at all. I remember not caring much for it when I initially got it, but wanted to give it another spin. Not sure why it receives the admiration it does. I have a pile of discs going over to Goodwill, and this one just got added into it

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think you may have missed Robert Harris’ oblique reference to your post mixing up Vera Miles with Sarah Miles!

Indeed I completely missed the boat on that one. Two lovely actresses with the same last name but apart from that it is not very difficult to tell them apart!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And of course Mr. Stewart falling for Ms Novak, 25 years his junior. There are so many facets to casting, sometimes it’s best to shy away.

Okay - if we're gonna ignore the male/female lead age gap, can we at least go "what the huh?" over the fact Earp was 26 when the movie's events took place and McCrea was 50? :unsure:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Curious why you think the movie benefits from a creepy vibe between romantic leads.

Because there is more obsession than romance in Vertigo. Even without the ending that we see in the movie it is hard to imagine that the relationship would have worked out in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks