What's new

4K restorations of East of Eden and Rio Bravo debut at TCM Film Festival 2023 (1 Viewer)

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I saw the restoration this morning on HBO Max.Looks great.I posted a couple weeks ago about this movie on the Ozzie and Harriet thread.Including a link to a song Johnny Cash wrote that was inspired by the film recorded by Rick Nelson called Restless Kid.It is true there seemd to be a lot of chess matches between takes and down time.I have played chess since I was a kid .I imagine saying to Duke Wayne 'sorry pilgrim check mate;!
https://tucson.com/news/retrotucson..._391e45fa-cc16-11e8-8f34-f37811b456e2.html#17

Attachments

• 1681551859830.png
    1681551859830.png
    909.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1681551930243.png
    1681551930243.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 80

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
HBO Max has both, Rio Bravo and East of Eden in 4K/Dolby Vision. By the way East of Eden has Dolby Atmos audio.
Guess these are going to exclusives to HBO Max for a while before they will announce when we can buy them in 4K. I want them both!

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I just watched the 4K EAST OF EDEN and was somewhat disappointed. WarnerColor was always problematic and while some shots do look great much of the film looks no better than the previous Blu Ray. This is one of my personal favorites less for Dean than Kazan's amazing use of Cinemascope.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched the 4K EAST OF EDEN and was somewhat disappointed. WarnerColor was always problematic and while some shots do look great much of the film looks no better than the previous Blu Ray. This is one of my personal favorites less for Dean than Kazan's amazing use of Cinemascope.
I disagree with you in regard that much of the film looks no better than that decade old Blu-ray. The colors are much more vibrant on the 4K stream. Furthermore, we're still talking about a 4K stream which is compromised by bit rate and compression which won't be the case for a 4K/UHD disc. The Dolby Atmos audio is a significant improvement over the 2013 Blu-ray.

Earlier today, I compared my iTunes HD digital to the HBO Max 4K stream. The differences in audio/video presentations are pretty obvious in my opinion.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I checked out Rio Bravo about ten days ago and it was the same awful transfer as the DVD. Are you now saying this new restoration has replaced it with no fanfare whatsoever? And East of Eden, too? Because I'm finding that a little hard to believe. I'll go check now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I checked out Rio Bravo about ten days ago and it was the same awful transfer as the DVD. Are you now saying this new restoration has replaced it with no fanfare whatsoever? And East of Eden, too? Because I'm finding that a little hard to believe. I'll go check now.
Yes, they replaced those older digitals with those new 4K/Dolby Vision digitals. A couple days ago, Rio Bravo became unavailable to stream on HBO Max until Friday afternoon.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, by gum and by golly and buy bonds, they are the new transfers. Watched the first fifteen minutes of East of Eden and it looks amazing and of course is better than the older Blu-ray. I'm not seeing much Warner Color (Eastman) issues with this film, even the dissolves look much better here.

Then I watched the first fifteen of Rio Bravo and holy moley on rye, it finally looks like - Rio Bravo. What a world of difference between this and the hideous Blu-ray (made from the DVD transfer). Rio Bravo is a film whose dupes have always looked really nasty in the substandard transfers, but while they're obviously not good dupes here, they're a zillion times better, and the regular footage finally has contrast, great color, and is really beautiful to look at. I'm sure the 4K and Blu-ray, when eventually released, will look even better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, by gum and by golly and buy bonds, they are the new transfers. Watched the first fifteen minutes of East of Eden and it looks amazing and of course is better than the older Blu-ray. I'm not seeing much Warner Color (Eastman) issues with this film, even the dissolves look much better here.

Then I watched the first fifteen of Rio Bravo and holy moley on rye, it finally looks like - Rio Bravo. What a world of difference between this and the hideous Blu-ray (made from the DVD transfer). Rio Bravo is a film whose dupes have always looked really nasty in the substandard transfers, but while they're obviously not good dupes here, they're a zillion times better, and the regular footage finally has contrast, great color, and is really beautiful to look at. I'm sure the 4K and Blu-ray, when eventually released, will look even better.
I can't believe you doubted my word. :laugh:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

Have you obtained your 4K viewing gear yet? Prepare to be pleasantly surprised at the quality of those little shiny discs they're releasing.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I can't believe you doubted my word. :laugh:
Well Robert did announce a while back that these restorations would be debuting on HBO Max on April 15th, but not everybody reads the 4K upgrades thread.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I could never quite put my finger on what was wrong with the look of Rio Bravo (& it was so very wrong). I described the picture as "overbaked" which seemed to sort of sum it up with that garish grainy look. Not a favourite western of mine (a little too laid back), but I'll be buying the 4K.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Looking forward to see how much more color - and detail they managed to extract out of this one.
Given that the old Blu-ray very much fell short for both it should not be difficult to surpass.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I could never quite put my finger on what was wrong with the look of Rio Bravo (& it was so very wrong). I described the picture as "overbaked" which seemed to sort of sum it up with that garish grainy look. Not a favourite western of mine (a little too laid back), but I'll be buying the 4K.
Collapsed Y layer.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Question for those that have TCM. Was the transfer of Rio Bravo the new transfer or the new one or did they mess up and show the old transfer as happened last Friday with Land of the Pharaohs? I currently have it on my DVR, but haven’t had time to inspect it yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Question for those that have TCM. Was the transfer of Rio Bravo the new transfer or the new one or did they mess up and show the old transfer as happened last Friday with Land of the Pharaohs? I currently have it on my DVR, but haven’t had time to inspect it yet.
It's the new transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks