What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Rio Bravo (1959) (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I'm not one to get all hot and bothered by cover choices for blu-ray and 4K UHD titles, I'm just really glad to be getting pristine home video versions to savour at home. But, having said that, I've had a quick Google through the original one-sheets for Rio Bravo and I think most of them were uninspired, particularly in the US. Nothing approaching the level of artistry for say, Once Upon A Time In The West, almost a decade later. But a couple of slightly more dynamic alternatives could have been chosen for the small blu-ray cover. But like I said: the cover is very rarely a deal-breaker for me. I've only chosen titles based on the cover a handful of times - The Exorcist being a notable one. Interesting that Warner Bros. are releasing different cover art in different regions.

Generally, I'm not that bothered either (though I do prefer to avoid steelbooks for practicality in general), heh... and only mentioned anything at all in this case because others brought it up.

_Man_

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Rio Bravo 4K.png

Rio Bravo 4K B.png

Rio Bravo C 4K.png

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Very good - there is always that for people who are bothered too much by the cover.

I think the last disc where I inserted another cover art was King of Kings but mostly I cannot be bothered and relegate myself to poke fun at some of the more hideous covers out there :)

What I do more often is to exchange the blue Blu-ray cases for black cases as I got a box of black cases some time ago and it is something that takes very little time.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Very good - there is always that for people who are bothered too much by the cover.

I think the last disc where I inserted another cover art was King of Kings but mostly I cannot be bothered and relegate myself to poke fun at some of the more hideous covers out there :)

What I do more often is to exchange the blue Blu-ray cases for black cases as I got a box of black cases some time ago and it is something that takes very little time.

I only print my own covers when the packaging is prone to scratching when placing discs in sleeves--- Like the Universal Monsters and Alfred Hitchcock Box Sets. I've already prepped a 5-disc UHD case and 6-disc Blu-ray case for the Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection Volume 3 coming out the end of this month.

AH# $K.png

AH3 BR.png

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I only print my own covers when the packaging is prone to scratching when placing discs in sleeves--- Like the Universal Monsters and Alfred Hitchcock Box Sets. I've already prepped a 5-disc UHD case and 6-disc Blu-ray case for the Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection Volume 3 coming out the end of this month.

I should probably do that for the small number of exceptional cases as well... though I guess I may just be lazy *and* purist(?) kinda OCD enough about such (and the quality of cover prints, etc) to *not* have done that already, except in one case where I (mistakenly) bought a used BD that didn't come w/ cover art at all. :lol::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Part of me (very) strongly prefers to preserve the original (or at least what would very closely resemble an original), if I'm gonna own it at all, of whatever I get... even if there are warts I hate and would otherwise want to dispose... I value authenticity/fidelity in just about everything, including this aspect, LOL, so I find myself just accepting the (usually not quite too) ugly and/or broken or (somewhat) distasteful (or just plain odd or incomprehensible) that might come along w/ the (mostly) good and beautiful, hehheh... :P

Plus w/ my nearly insurmountable backlog on top of multitude of interests/hobbies/commitments, I probably just don't have the time and energy to do such up to the standards I'd be satisfied enough to bother for the most part anyway -- I'd probably still be annoyed (to some extent) about the non-original cover art replacement I make every time I see it, haha... :lol:

_Man_

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
CELEBRATE 100 YEARS OF WARNER BROS. WITH TWO CLASSIC FILMS

EAST OF EDEN AND RIO BRAVO

WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4K RESOLUTION WITH

HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR)

View attachment 184886

PURCHASE THEM ON 4K ULTRA HD DISC AND DIGITALLY JULY 18

Burbank, Calif., May 30, 2023 – As part of the year-long centennial celebration for the 100 th anniversary of Warner Bros. Studio, two iconic classics from the Warner Bros. library – East of Eden and Rio Bravo - will be available for purchase on 4K Ultra HD Disc and Digital July 18.

East of Eden, directed by Academy Award winner Elia Kazan and starring James Dean, and Rio Bravo, directed by Honorary Academy Award winner Howard Hawks and starring John Wayne, will be available to purchase on Ultra HD Blu-ray™Disc from online and in-store at major retailers and available for purchase Digitally from Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play, Vudu and more.

Working in partnership with The Film Foundation, both films were restored and remastered by Warner Bros. Post Production Creative Services: Motion Picture Imaging and Post Production Sound. Since its launch by Martin Scorsese in 1990, The Film Foundation has restored more than 900 movies.

The Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc will include each feature film in 4K with HDR and a Digital version of the feature film.

Ultra HD Blu-ray showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

For the complete 4K Ultra HD experience with HDR, a 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR, an Ultra HD Blu-ray player and a high-speed HDMI (category 2) cable are required.

About the Films:

East of Eden

In the Salinas Valley in and around World War I, Cal Trask feels he must compete against overwhelming odds with his brother Aron for the love of their father Adam. Carl is frustrated at every turn, from his reaction to the war, to how to get ahead in business and in life, to how to relate to his estranged mother.

The 1955 period drama is directed by Elia Kazan from a screenplay by Paul Osborn and based on the 1952 John Steinbeck novel of the same name. The film stars James Dean, Julie Harris, Raymond Massey, Burl Ives, Richard Davalos, and Jo Van Fleet.

East of Eden was nominated for 3 Academy Awards with Van Fleet winning for Best Supporting Actress. East of Edenwas named one of the 400 best American films of all time by the American Film Institute . In 2016, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Rio Bravo

A small-town sheriff in the American West enlists the help of a disabled man, a drunk, and a young gunfighter in his efforts to hold in jail the brother of the local bad guy.

The 1959 American Western film is directed by Howard Hawks. The screenplay is by Jules Furthman and Leigh Brackett and is based on the short story “Rio Bravo” by B.H. McCampbell. The film stars John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson, Walter Brennan, and Ward Bond.

In 2014, Rio Bravo was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

Ultra HD Blu-ray Elements

East of Eden Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:

• Commentary by Richard Schickel
Rio Bravo Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:

• Commentary by John Carpenter and Richard Schickel

BASICS

PRODUCT ERP

East of Eden Ultra HD $24.99

Rio Bravo Ultra HD $24.99

East of Eden

Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Spanish, French

Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Parisian French

Run Time: 117 minutes

Rating: PG

Physical Street Date: 7/18

Digital Street Date: 7/18

Rio Bravo

Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Spanish, French

Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Parisian French

Run Time: 141 minutes

Rating: Not Rated

Physical Street Date: 7/18

Digital Street Date: 7/18

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

East of Eden and Rio Bravo were never released in Canada. Amazon.ca and Best Buy both stocked or made available for pre-order Rebel Without a Cause and the Maltese Falcon. Tried reaching out to Warner Bros. but no reply. Amazon in Canada seems to be going out of their way to deter physical media sales in Canada. Fortunately a company called Unobstructed View here in Canada does a good job stocking Warner Archive and Kino releases.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
East of Eden and Rio Bravo were never released in Canada. Amazon.ca and Best Buy both stocked or made available for pre-order Rebel Without a Cause and the Maltese Falcon. Tried reaching out to Warner Bros. but no reply. Amazon in Canada seems to be going out of their way to deter physical media sales in Canada. Fortunately a company called Unobstructed View here in Canada does a good job stocking Warner Archive and Kino releases.
SDS doesn't like us Canucks much. First, they ditch the digital codes, and now? Good luck getting some titles. I've never used Unobstructed View because I find their shipping costs exorbitant. I have a relatively local retailer [Rough Cut Video in Calgary] which charges reasonable prices for imports, so I may go that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks