What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Rio Bravo (1959) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think High Noon is Terrific. I think Rio Bravo is terrific.

IMO, I think RB has the edge due to HN’s in your face ‘most people are sh*t’ attitude, which is what I think Wayne/Hawks objected to.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Because of the discussion here, I did watch High Noon on the Olive Blu-ray this afternoon. Hadn't watched it in some time, and it was a wonderful afternoon of entertainment. I did notice a little ghosting in the image early on. I don't remember ever seeing it before.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
El Dorado and High Noon are both very good but Rio Bravo is my fav western.So i already pre ordered the 4 k disc.Just some cowpokes hanging out in 1958.
1685394969982.png

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but the more I focus on that cover art the more I have to laugh. Dean Martin looks like he just dropped a huge load in his pants. Seriously.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the press release Ron, as I said earlier, I’ve never seen this film before. I did come across this image below from another site. I gather Angie Dickinson is not in her proper costume for the film? Doesn’t look like the going fashions of the era? I am curious to see the film. :). I’m also curious about the similarity to High Noon.

4BC70039-96CC-439C-AC3F-C665E987B70D.jpeg

By the way, I know it’s become the norm now, but I’m disappointed a standard blu ray version isn’t included that is remastered from this new source. If I wanted a blu ray, i see the only option is from a remaster from 2005-2007.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for the press release Ron, as I said earlier, I’ve never seen this film before. I did come across this image below from another site. I gather Angie Dickinson is not in her proper costume for the film? Doesn’t look like the going fashions of the era? I am curious to see the film. :). I’m also curious about the similarity to High Noon.

View attachment 185455

By the way, I know it’s become the norm now, but I’m disappointed a standard blu ray version isn’t included that is remastered from this new source. If I wanted a blu ray, i see the only option is from a remaster from 2005-2007.

No, that wasn't the going fashion of course, BUT something similar enough does actually contribute (quite) substantively (enough) to the story and characterizations (and not just for the usual, ahem, aesthetic appeal ;):lol:)...

Anyhoo, didn't you recently become fully 4K capable anyhow? Also, IIRC, you do stream too, no? Get the 4K disc and maybe just stream the digital (that would be included) whether in HD or 4K when 4K disc playback isn't viable. Hopefully, maybe they'll also update the HD digital (or maybe whichever digital platform and app might do a good downconvert from the 4K digital perhaps)...

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Man, yes, I am fully 4K capable. What I’m liking recently has been converting the blu rays to MakeMKV files so I can stream the titles in my home to the Apple TV. I have tried ripping the 4K discs. Unfortunately the drive I have couldn’t do it. It might need is firmware update. The blu rays rip fine.

You make a good point about streaming, I recently watched True Lies via Apple TV. So that is an option.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Any word on whether the Rio Bravo or East of Eden restorations will be available on standard Blu-ray? Possibly at a later date? I noticed the 4K discs don't come packaged with a blu as well.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yeah, it seems that a number of these titles are pseudo-WAC releases, meaning that they are produced by Warner Home Video rather than Warner Archive, but use the more limited Warner Archive distribution. One can generally spot these by their not having an accompanying BD in the package, and also not having an O-sleeve.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I made the following post in the Warner Archive Announcement thread:

Last night, after receiving another email that indicated that Rio Bravo and East of Eden 4K/UHD release date has changed again from July 18th to August 1st, I did my usual checking around other retailers. Movie Zyng, Best Buy and Deep Discount have noted the same release date change. Last week, Amazon changed the release date from July 18th to August 1st. About 24 hours later, it changed it back to July 18th. Now, it's changed again to August 1st.

As to Land of the Pharaohs, Movie Zyng like Amazon has changed the release date from June 27th to July 18th. Deep Discount and Best Buy are still showing June 27th. I tend to believe that Amazon and Movie Zyng might be right because Movie Zyng is closely associated with Warner.

I wonder if these release date delays are due to some manufacturing issues that produce the discs? Obviously, the work has been done on the films as we've seen what was shown on TCM and HBO Max/Max.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Last night, after receiving another email that indicated that Rio Bravo and East of Eden 4K/UHD release date has changed again from July 18th to August 1st, I did my usual checking around other retailers. Movie Zyng, Best Buy and Deep Discount have noted the same release date change. Last week, Amazon changed the release date from July 18th to August 1st. About 24 hours later, it changed it back to July 18th. Now, it's changed again to August 1st.

As to Land of the Pharaohs, Movie Zyng like Amazon has changed the release date from June 27th to July 18th. Deep Discount and Best Buy are still showing June 27th. I tend to believe that Amazon and Movie Zyng might be right because Movie Zyng is closely associated with Warner.

I wonder if these release date delays are due to some manufacturing issues that produce the discs? Obviously, the work has been done on the films as we've seen what was shown on TCM and HBO Max/Max.

Another issue could be replication. I keep hearing that since most of the replication facilities are gone a lot of video games and I am assuming video discs are becoming somewhat backlogged in getting replicated.

EDIT: You did mention manufacturing issues so I am guessing you could have been talking about replication

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another issue could be replication. I keep hearing that since most of the replication facilities are gone a lot of video games and I am assuming video discs are becoming somewhat backlogged in getting replicated.
That's what I'm thinking which is why I mentioned manufacturing issues.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

EDIT: You did mention manufacturing issues so I am guessing you could have been talking about replication

Curious. What exactly happened w/ those replication facilities? Are they only cutting down operations (and costs) or have they been more permanently shuttered or transformed to other operations?

_Man_

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Rio Bravo, at least, is a longer film, which may require a BD 100 triple layer disc. Not sure how many facilities are spec'd out for that.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yeah, but they had the same delay for East of Eden.
In that case, it may simply be a lack of capacity in pressing facilities. We've heard about the issues with vinyl, and with the industry's push towards streaming, it's not hard to imagine a similar scenario for optical discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks