What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Rio Bravo (1959) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Howard Hawks and John Wayne made Rio Bravo as they disliked the idea of a sheriff who has to go asking for help. Kind of surprising that there wasn’t room in their minds for a different point of view.

No wonder that aspect seemed emphasized more than usual in Rio Bravo...

_Man_

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I’m not sure how much merit you can put into the story of Wayne and Hawks hating High Noon. When John Wayne stepped in to receive Gary Cooper’s Oscar for High Noon, he joked he was going to fire his agent for not getting him the part of Will Kane. Doesn’t sounds like he was upset at all with the film at that time

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No wonder that aspect seemed emphasized more than usual in Rio Bravo...

_Man_
What I found humorous about the entire controversy between the two films on Hawks and Wayne's part, is that Rio Bravo wasn't filmed and released until about seven years after High Noon was filmed and released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m not sure how much merit you can put into the story of Wayne and Hawks hating High Noon. When John Wayne stepped in to receive Gary Cooper’s Oscar for High Noon, he joked he was going to fire his agent for not getting him the part of Will Kane. Doesn’t sounds like he was upset at all with the film at that time
I thought there were some direct quotes from both Hawks and Wayne.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Delightful and spirited Hawks film despite, as The NY Times notes:

”Well, [the sheriff - Mr.Wayne] has the services also of Ricky Nelson, youngest member of a performing family that has made its mark on the twenty-one-inch screen, as a self-appointed good right arm.Mr. Nelson is a nice but terribly expressionless youth who appears to need a haircut and can pleasantly sing a spirited Western ditty to the accompaniment of his own guitar and Mr. Martin's mellow baritone. But he is a mite callow either as a convincing actor or as a fast man on the draw. “

Aside from that, can’t wait!
So no Garden Party for them I take it ...;)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aw, come on Crawdaddy, you know Rio Bravo is the ultimate "Hangout Movie". It's the one we take off the shelf way more than High Noon or Wild Bunch. Admit it, it's a better movie experience.

**Then again, I could be wrong about this, I'm a different breed of cat. ;)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
My brother and I saw Rio Bravo in a theater on Wednesday. It was great seeing Rio Bravo on the Big Screen!
In the debate on Rio Bravo VS High Noon Rio Bravo wins in my opinion!
Both Rio Bravo and High Noon are great films. However, as for me, Rio Bravo is the superior and also more enjoyable film!

Take Care!

Robert

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Glad to see this film getting released. The HBO max transfer is much better. As to bravo vs noon? It's oranges. Noon is probably more true to life however (even a sheriff is afraid to die especially when he is all alone). I do wish the colonel would have let Elvis star in this. Re-watching this film again reminded me Nelson was out of his element.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Being more enjoyable to watch doesn't necessarily make it a better film. Over the first 40 years of my life I thought Rio Bravo was the better western. However, over the last 25+ years I've changed my mind because I not only view High Noon as the best western ever made, I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made. Everything about it from a film-making perspective is great! The acting, writing, film direction, editing, cinematography and music is just about perfect. The only gripe I have about the movie is that I wish Gary Cooper was ten years younger. However, that's a nitpick and I do wonder what kind of movie it would have been if Gregory Peck had accepted the Will Kane role before declining it. A mistake that Peck acknowledged he made in his film career.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rio Bravo is a fine western although I prefer El Dorado. High Noon is the better film, plays out in real time (only 85 mins), magnificent central performance from Cooper.
I like El Dorado and actually watched that film for the first time in a movie theater which I cannot say about Rio Bravo as I was too young when that movie came out. With that said, I already watched Rio Bravo on TV before I saw El Dorado. IMO, Rio Bravo is a better film with better acting and tells its storytelling is superior to El Dorado.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I think one reason noon is more realistic is because of the fact you do wonder can will Kane win this fight. In Rio bravo these guys are pros and know their way around a gun and a fight. Emotionally your not as conflicted as you would be seeing high noon and will Kane. Kane could die and that's heavily felt in the last 15 minutes (something hawks didn't apparently care for. He usually dealt with pros who could handle their own) . I do wish peck would have taken this film. Would have been a diffrent film in some ways. As for bravo I'm not worried for John wayne. You know he isn't going to die. A gripe I have with red river ( should have sticked to the novel) but I won't veer off topic too far. Bravo is beautiful in 4k

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I like El Dorado and actually watched that film for the first time in a movie theater which I cannot say about Rio Bravo as I was too young when that movie came out. With that said, I already watched Rio Bravo on TV before I saw El Dorado. IMO, Rio Bravo is a better film with better acting and tells its storytelling is superior to El Dorado.
I like El Dorado better myself, even though I am a huge Dean Martin fan. I am very excited to see the new transfer of Rio Bravo.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am thinking that this movie should really shine on 4K bluray if done right. I am looking forward to picking this movie up once released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks