What's new

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Rio Bravo was Dinos first western (unless you include 'Pardners' with Jerry Lewis) and he gave a great performance.I have seen oscar nominated performances that were not as good.Duke Wayne was overly modest,He stated 'I am not an actor i am a reactor.He was somewhat reluctant here to sing but he did a great job.Sounds just like Frank:)

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I saw Rio Bravo for the first time with my parents when it was originally in the theater. I was so bored. I started running around the theater, and my parents are furious. Over the years I’ve tried to watch it even with the current restoration, I diligently sat and watched the whole film and I still find it dull,boring and overlong. For me it’s virtually a stage play and not a very interesting one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw Rio Bravo for the first time with my parents when it was originally in the theater. I was so bored. I started running around the theater, and my parents are furious. Over the years I’ve tried to watch it even with the current restoration, I diligently sat and watched the whole film and I still find it dull,boring and overlong. For me it’s virtually a stage play and not a very interesting one.
Then I guess there isn't any need for you to purchase this 4K/UHD.:D

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Talking about a western stage play reminds me of the musical 'Red Garters' which had Rosemary Clooney:)).As well as Guy ' Imma singin the blues' Mitchell as well as Gene Barry,Jack Carson and others.

Last edited:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
" It's a hang out movie" as Quentin Tarentino would say. One of my quips about it is the whole thing takes place on a handful of sets and not much happens. If you like the pop culture stars of it your in good company. If your looking for substance your not.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I noticed that phenomenon where grain moves with the characters - not pretty, not filmic. This one is way too filtered for my taste. Or is it an encode issue? It reminded me of the 1st BD release of It's A Wonderful Life. Disappointed:emoji_cry:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
An interesting comparison. Apparently Elvis wanted top billing and this is unthinkable for a John Wayne film. I like Dean Martin and he's very good in other westerns, but I like Bob Mitchum more and it's always been fun to watch him with Wayne, plus nice ending.
I doubt Elvis would really care about having top billing....sounds more like a Colonel Parker thing.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Grain structure seems fine, although dupes and some of the digital work performed to make them pretty, doesn't look wonderful to my eye. Something is just a bit off.
I didn't note this in my review, but the fades look like they were completed electronically, if that is what you are referring to. They seem rushed and lose grain structure quickly. I have been rather familiar with that look, as I have been transferring and digitizing many of my old Super 8 films I made in the early 1980s. My latest project is more akin to actual post production work, since the film was never completed, so any fades or dissolves have had to be done in my editing program.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
On the subject of the disc as a whole, I think that one issue is that the encode. It averages maybe 50-60Mbps tops, rarely goes over 70, and frequently drops below 50. As a result, textures sometimes smear in motion. When Ward Bond first appears and is seen in medium to long shots, the textures of his checkered shirt resolve nicely in 4K, but any time that he moves or swings his arms, they break up and smear. That affects the grain structure as well.

Worth pointing out that you have to get right up to the screen to see that kind of thing. It's a fine encode for normal viewing distances on average displays, but given the fact that WB has been touting this restoration and there aren't any real extras on the disc aside from a commentary track, one would have hoped that they would want to pull out all the stops to make it look the best that it possibly can.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Amazon now has this at 37.50 after release instead of going down in price like maltice falcon and cool hand luke to 20 dollars. I will stick with my blu ray. I have no interest at all in getting the 4k at this point.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Then why are you posting in a thread about a 4K disc release?

Hey! Some of us love to live vicariously or some such (and yeah, to gab about it too) afterall... :P;):D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Me? I'm still sorta debating somewhat as I do already have the 4K digital at least... but certainly have some fair likelihood of getting the disc at some point... though I probably would just go for a well remastered BD from the same new source if they offered that as well for significantly less, especially since I already have the freely upgraded 4K digital (at least on iTunes anyway)...

_Man_

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I streamed the movie yesterday on my laptop which has a 4 k display.Loved it.
I also love Angies legs.Her hat? not so much.She looks much better with her hair down.
1691830388169.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the subject of the disc as a whole, I think that one issue is that the encode. It averages maybe 50-60Mbps tops, rarely goes over 70, and frequently drops below 50. As a result, textures sometimes smear in motion. When Ward Bond first appears and is seen in medium to long shots, the textures of his checkered shirt resolve nicely in 4K, but any time that he moves or swings his arms, they break up and smear. That affects the grain structure as well.

Worth pointing out that you have to get right up to the screen to see that kind of thing. It's a fine encode for normal viewing distances on average displays, but given the fact that WB has been touting this restoration and there aren't any real extras on the disc aside from a commentary track, one would have hoped that they would want to pull out all the stops to make it look the best that it possibly can.
I watched the 4K/UHD again this morning. I did monitor the Mbps during the entire viewing and I concur with your findings about the Mbps. With that said, I think the video presentation is excellent for the most part and I'm very happy with it. It's a disc I will revisit quite often on my LG OLEDs, and I can see some improved differences between this 4K disc and its 4K digital counterpart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks