What's new

4K restorations of East of Eden and Rio Bravo debut at TCM Film Festival 2023 (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't think it's much of a secret around here that I have not moved on to 4K yet. I probably will in the next few months - it's time.
I did it accidentally. My beloved Plasma failed, so I bought a decent OLED (Panasonic, & I was pleasantly surprised just how good the picture looks) & of course it's 4K, & I'm still using my original budget Sony Blu-ray player, which still works fine, although the remote's a bit dodgy (the remote is always the first thing to go). So I bought a second good player which is 4k (but hardly used). I must have had the set up for eight months before the penny dropped that I could play & see 4K. Having said all that, I'm not seeing an amazing difference, maybe I need a bigger screen, or to project to see it, & both are a no-no with my tiny house.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I did it accidentally. My beloved Plasma failed, so I bought a decent OLED (Panasonic, & I was pleasantly surprised just how good the picture looks) & of course it's 4K, & I'm still using my original budget Sony Blu-ray player, which still works fine, although the remote's a bit dodgy (the remote is always the first thing to go). So I bought a second good player which is 4k (but hardly used). I must have had the set up for eight months before the penny dropped that I could play & see 4K. Having said all that, I'm not seeing an amazing difference, maybe I need a bigger screen, or to project to see it, & both are a no-no with my tiny house.
In my very limited experience, the size of the upgrade varies enormously between various discs. I didn't find Singin' In The Rain in 4K much better than the Blu-ray but Some Like It Hot was vastly superior in 4K.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In my very limited experience, the size of the upgrade varies enormously between various discs. I didn't find Singin' In The Rain in 4K much better than the Blu-ray but Some Like It Hot was vastly superior in 4K.
IMO, the 4K disc of Singin" in the Rain offers a significantly improved video presentation over that 2012 Blu-ray with better resolution, detail and colors. The blacks are more consistent on the 4K/UHD than the Blu-ray.

At times, I wonder if people have their 4K displays setup correctly to fully take advantage of this format.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
At times, I wonder if people have their 4K displays setup correctly to fully take advantage of this format.
Yup, that's been an issue. Setting up my TV for HD was easy, I have a couple of set-up discs, & really the TV was just a few tweaks away from looking great to me. But 4K was a different matter, whites blown & a lack of grey scale. I have a number of viewing modes on the TV & have ended up with one for 4K Game Of Thrones (which looks fantastic) & another viewing mode for 4K movies. I could really do with an easy 4K set-up disc, just brightness & contrast would do the job for me. There's a gap in the market there.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yup, that's been an issue. Setting up my TV for HD was easy, I have a couple of set-up discs, & really the TV was just a few tweaks away from looking great to me. But 4K was a different matter, whites blown & a lack of grey scale. I have a number of viewing modes on the TV & have ended up with one for 4K Game Of Thrones (which looks fantastic) & another viewing mode for 4K movies. I could really do with an easy 4K set-up disc, just brightness & contrast would do the job for me. There's a gap in the market there.

The continuing lack of standards for HDR grading has definitely been part of that problem.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks