What's new

24: Season 2 - Hour 15 - 3/4/03 (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
wouldn't detenating a nuclear bomb in the ocean cause a massive tidal wave, like a tsunami? That in turn would kill more people as well, perhaps more from than any prevailing wind scenario from a desert detenation. Just a thought.
No. It takes an underwater earthquake to generate those and earthquakes, in terms of energy released, are a lot more powerful than puny little atom bombs. :D

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a powerful episode. It seems obvious to me that the only reason they kept Kim around this season was to have that powerful goodbye scene in this ep. While the scene worked very well, I'm not sure it was worth having to put up with the incredibly lame Kim plot thread all season long.

I tend to agree with those who think the desert choice would be the wrong one in real life, but it didn't really ruin the episode. Seems to me that the should have been able to get more than 80 miles out to sea, how fast does a plan that size travel?

Leroy

Second Unit
I missed it!!! I set my VCR to record it, but I entered a start time of 7:59pm and an end time of 8:01pm(instead of 9:01) DOH:b!!!!! Stupid ZZ Top concert(where I was)!!!

Does FX still have replays of the weeks episodes? If so, when??

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Heck, as soon as Xander Berkley's name appeared in the opening credits, it was obvious what was going to happen. Didn't make it any less effective, though.
Come to think of it, I don't read the credits of 24. I guess its just because while the names are rolling there is stuff going on in the show (as opposed to the theme song - credits route most other shows employ). I never even really realized this until now.

Regardless, like I said, Mason's arc wasn't a big problem for me. But, as I'm sure anyone who reads the Buffytastic thread knows by now, predictability gets under my skin. And this one had been brewing since hour 1.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
That's all most funny. How many tourist are at sea?
No, it's not, the tourists are at the beach, you know, the sandy thing near the water, which would be useless.

But I think if you watch the explanation in the episode better you'll maaaaybe get it... :D

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Lenny

Didn't you have the Nina Myers sig pic?
Well there's this girl here at the College of Architecture, I swear could pass for Nina. Damn near do a double take every time I see here cause it's almost eerie. Just a little side bar.

Back to talking about the episode and the Damn 3 week wait.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they could pull a Nina in Season 3 with George Mason? Just kidding.

Honestly, that shot of the bomb from all the different places was just bizarre. Very powerful, really pushed how serious this threat was.

Looking back at the beginning of the season, I can see that this show really is amazing.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Great episode. Truley the most intense hour of TV, IMO. I came late to the 24 party, only started watching midway through this season, but from what I have seen so far, it is the best thing on TV right now. I'm going to have to go out and buy the first season on DVD. Did the first season also deal with the nuke storyline?

I also thought the "nuke in the desert" senario was plausible.

Dan M~

Second Unit
No, it's not, the tourists are at the beach, you know, the sandy thing near the water, which would be useless.
80 miles away from the beach. Heck Jack was only 10 miles away and he survived a ground burst. A submerged nuclear event would have effected a smaller area.

I just think they made the wrong choice. It just goes to show you that even politicians can make a mistake!!

Edited for grammer.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You'd think Jack would have asked George for the first name of his son (after learning George even had a son). It'd make looking for him later on a little easier.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You'd think Jack would have asked George for the first name of his son (after learning George even had a son). It'd make looking for him later on a little easier.
He probably assumed the information was in CTU's files. Everything else seems to be. :)

M.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Wow! A very exciting episode and it was one the only times I caught myself talking trough the show, most of it was cursing, which is a good thing since I watch the show alone.

I believe that the whole military plot about attacking the three countries might be a plot to discredit Palmer with the tape of Syed Ali being a fake which means Palmer would be attacking innocent counties. Palmer was right questioning why he would record himself.

On another note: What is with Xander Berkeley and dying in airplanes? At first I thought George was going to die from the radiation and after a couple hours later after the end of the episode I thought where was Palmer when the bomb went off (an inside joke for those who saw Air Force One)?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that if they let the bomb explode off the coast, they wouldn't have gotten it far enough away in time and any fallout would have been pushed right into the city, as well as spread around and kill everything in the area. In the desert, they can keep the fallout to a smaller area and surround it by mountains, so it doesn't push as far out, plus it doesn't go into a heavily populated city unless you get a bunch of tornadoes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
80 miles away from the beach. Heck Jack was only 10 miles away and he survived a ground burst. A submerged nuclear event would have effected a smaller area.
You don't understand, it would get into the sand, kill everything along the coast, disrupt the food chain and screw up everything royally

At least with the desert blow it'll whip around in the winds, but not effect ecosystems much. Plus the fallout is contained in the mountains

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
First time I noticed the use of a love theme in the series - the swelling music as the wonderfully handsome woman, what's her name, the blonde one from the family of blondes, realized that "there goes the bravest man that I have ever known."

They've got to be hitched by the end of the day.

And then next season they can come back like Arnie and Jamie Lee, spies-in-concert.

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be willing to bet the writers researched the nuke bomb topic enough to know what would be most realistic. They know people like us will scrutinize their topics, so to prevent getting fired they need to know what they are putting the actors into. It cannot be a unrealistic situation.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Having visited the Mojave Desert many times growing up, I'd say it was a wise choice. The behavior of the weather in the mountainous "bowls" is spectacular. I can say that there is a high probability that the wind patterns will actually help to keep it contained.

A great episode and a powerful ending to the main threat of the season.

DwightK

Second Unit
I'll have to ask some coworkers tomorrow about the choice. My specialty isn't nuke risk assessment like some around here.

From what I do know having spent a few years in the biz is that both of their arguments seemed plausible. I do not think they could assure the necessary depth to minimize the effects. Not attenuation of the rad, mind you, that would be easy. It would be the surface effects. The US did a few surface tests in the past and the effects linger today near Mercury and other locations.

Neither option is good (for the pres to make) and makes the retaliation options exciting and hopefully realistic.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Wasn't it a little odd that Tony tells Palmer about the possible involvement of "3 countries" but doesn't bother to specify just which 3 countries they are, and then Palmer doesn't bother to ask? Or did I miss something?

I know they probably can't use 3 actual countries (although they could probably get away with using Iraq right now), so I guess they figure it's best to keep it vague. But how are they going to be able to keep doing that in future weeks if there's a lot of war preparation going on?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Does FX still have replays of the weeks episodes? If so, when??
According to the official 24 website this episode will have encore presentations on FX on Monday 3/24 at 11 p.m., and Tuesday 3/25 at 5 p.m. That's EST and PST.

Just in time for the next episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks