24: Season 2 - Hour 15 - 3/4/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Hour 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Okay, it's time for another "most compelling hour of TV" to show up on FOX tonight.

So Kim found 2 brain cells to rub together last hour.

How whacked out is Marie?

Will Tony run CTU into the ground?

Will Carrie and Michelle get all testy with each other?

How does Jack always seem to pick the short straw for missions?

Will Palmer have Lady MacPalmer tailed once she's booted out of the command center?

2. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Will we find out why Jack's nickname is "Wrongway"? (I wish I had not watched the previews). [​IMG]

Why fly the bomb inland and not out to sea and dump it? Less fallout problems.

Hope we find out tonight.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dan, that question is covered extensively

and Patrick

barely any of your questions are even addressed

No new 24 for 2 weeks

All I have to say is

KABOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

According to another site:

The bomb goes off tonight!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. BrianV

BrianV Stunt Coordinator

Great episode - one of the best of either season I think.

I've seen it, so this isn't just from the previews:

yes, the bomb goes off! The writers kind of wuss out by flying it out in to the desert first so they don't kill anyone.

My only problem was:

George being inthe plane with Jack and jack bailing out was so obvious. Although the way it happened it did make the scene between Jack and Kim very powerful.

In any event - great, great episode!

6. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

A good friend of mine is in the Navy, studying nuclear physics. She says the best way to neutralize a nuke is to sink it in deep water. Detonating it over land, even in a desert, is just plain dumb. Massive amounts of radiation will be released, and prevailing winds can take that fallout a long distance.

7. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Oh damn - Just a note - BrianV's spoilers above are REAL spoilers from the episode, not just the previews. My fault for clicking blindly...

8. BrianV

BrianV Stunt Coordinator

Sorry about that! I had them encased in spoiler tags, but I've edited the message to make it a little more clear.

Also about Jared's first post:

They give ample reason why they decide ont he desert over the ocean. I'm not sure if the reasons are valid - you may want to ask your friend that [​IMG]

9. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Not your fault at all, Brian - I made the mistake of assuming nobody had seen the show yet.

On that last note: I'm definitely interested in the reasons they give! I'll be watching with that friend most likely, so we'll see how valid they are.

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

God, it's going to be a long summer when the 24 2nd season finally wraps up! Nothing but reality shows on network TV after that.

11. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

From Entertainment Weekly's "What to Watch" Section:

12. Jeff Kleist

hahahah [​IMG]

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Now this episode lived up the the "Most Compelling Hour on TV" moniker.

The acting was uniformily good and the writing was heartfelt and "predictably" suspenseful (knowing that George is the one on borrowed time, and would be the one to give Jack an "out" on flying the kamikaze mission).
    So now it's time for some payback, and Palmer has to figure out how to show the big bad "Who's their daddy!"

3 weeks is a long time to wait for the next new episode...

Re: the promo for the next episode featured:

the voice of Gregg Henry, who is supposedly the 7th Black Cobra (or whatever that pack of 7 who were supposed to be tracking the bomb), when he tells Jack that the recording of the voices on the hard drive is a fake.

14. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Wow, this episode just renewed my faith in the show. Really good mix of action and drama.

Waiting 3 weeks is really going to suck!

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Kim finally did something smart when she dealt with the guy that offered her a ride. The "goodbye" scenes were well done.

16. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

These comments are happening in real time, during ad breaks Posted just now since the site has been down.

10:14pm

Wow, so, they got a timer there, they know that the nuke WILL go off and when, so gotta calculate where it can get in the given time, the safest possible place to detonate, very cool!
    Mason has offered to fly it like everyone expected, but too bad Jack declined plus Mason can go into a coughing stupor or die before the nuke is away enough.

-------------

10:24pm

That was sad, Jack flying off like that, to his death.
    Though me kind of knowing that he won't die undermines the moment. There will be a third season, and 8 more episodes here, will they be without him? Hmm...
    Oh and the timer, 55 mins exactly 5 mins into the episode, so it goes off at the end, or doesn't and we have to wait 3 weeks to see the next 10 seconds when it blows up... THAT's a cliffhanger.
    So, 3 middle eastern countries are behind it, Palmer says a war might start soon.

--------------

10:35pm

Oh damn... oooophhh... this moment broke me, made me cry completely, way more than Mason leaving. (Jack talking to Kim for the last time).

Damn ads every 10 mins, guess they don't want to interrupt the last 20 mins or so.

--------------

10:48pm

WOW! Mason is there! On the plane! Hid! Great idea! Now that the plane is out most of the way and he didn't die, he will be able to live for another 12 mins for sure, plus he's got a parashute for Jack, that's so great. So he'll be the hero now. Nina Myers' hero. [​IMG]

-------------

11:00

WHOAWheeeew...
    She sees the light, Palmer sees it... Then that mushroom in the last 5 seconds. Awesome!
    World War III is on!
    Another sad moment with Mason, I like him, a lot.
    That General came in, activating plans of attack, awesome... but, then I saw the 30 second next episode preview, I HIGHLY recommend everyone interested and with no patience to wait 3 weeks gets a taste of what's coming as it's not very spoiling:

17. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

I'm not buying it. A nuke under water would be 100 times safer then one on land (talking out ass mode off). They basically said that there was no eco-structure/bio system in the desert, so no harm would be done. Never mind the huge nuke dust cloud that would blow across the US...

Nukes are fragile things, they must go off in a very precise way. I thought one of the best ways to keep a nuke from going off was to blow it up with another bomb... some TNT... hand grenade... even shooting it. Remember Clooney in Peacekeeper? (whoops, talking out of my ass again.)

Still love this show, just seemed that they worked too hard to make sure the bomb went off "in" the US. Would love to hear from someone who actually knows of what they speak of on the subject.

3 weeks wait....[​IMG]

18. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Great show. Tough moment between Jack and Kim. My wife's eyes were teary.

Anyway, the reasons they gave for detonating the bomb in the desert as opposed to in the ocean made sense.

If a nuke goes off in the ocean (about 80 miles from the shore they said, that's as far away as they could get with the time they had) that the water would be contaminated for years, screwing up the ecology of the area and contaminating the beaches for years as well thus affecting tourism and the economy. Like they said in the show, the repercussions would be devastating.

The desert on the other side, is well, just a desert. Nobody gets anything from the desert and there's no tourism to worry about. They picked a spot in between mountains so the fallout would be somewhat contained. And it's so deep in the desert that winds bringing fallout to populated areas is a minimal concern.

I'm wondering if that would be the case in real life though.

19. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    A great episode. Everyone involved was on top of their games last night - even the score was top-notch. This episode could very well win "24" the Best Dramatic Series Emmy this year.

Nice moments between Jack & Kim, and Jack & Mason. George goes out a hero. A final salute & a fond farewell to Xander Berkeley, who turned in stellar work this season.

The redemption of Kim continues. It's as if the Bauer genes in her body have finally awakened and are beginning to take charge. BTW, it seems pretty obvious that she & Daddy spent some bonding time on the firing range. [​IMG]

20. Jeff Kleist