What's new

24: Season 2 - Hour 15 - 3/4/03 (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
The desert on the other side, is well, just a desert. Nobody gets anything from the desert and there's no tourism to worry about. They picked a spot in between mountains so the fallout would be somewhat contained. And it's so deep in the desert that winds bringing fallout to populated areas is a minimal concern.
That's all most funny.;) How many tourist are at sea? How many people live at sea. I'll bet the population density is higher in the desert then 80 miles out to sea. There are farms and ranches in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico. There are thousands of people camping, hunting, fishing (yes, the desert does have water!) at any time, then throw in the Snow Birds in their motor homes touring the warmer regions, archaeologists (sp), star gazers and others looking for that that can be found in the desert.

I just see it a different way I guess, having spent many days discovering that part of the US (and fishing off the CA coastline).

In my opinion... (worthless as it is)
An open air explosion would put clouds of radioactive debris in the air, the ocean would not create a dust cloud. No matter which way the wind blows, a town is in the way eventually.
An open air explosion would effect many more square miles then a submerged ocean blast. Water would absorb the blast better then air.

I hope some experts jump in here.

Still enjoyed the show.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Haven't we tested them that way?
From what I've read, most of the testing goes on underground in the desert. Winds will have little affect if they are detonated underground. Also, nukes have been tested underwater (that's also where all the radioactive waste goes anyway).

The reasons they gave for detonating the nuke over land were believable, as far as TV goes.

Edit: Dan, didn't see your post when I posted. According to my nuclear physicist friend, water is the best absorber of radiation. I'm thinking they could have timed the dive so the plane would start sinking minutes before the bomb goes off, or even push the bomb out of the plan (tied to a concrete block or something). The tones of radioactive waste already at the bottom of the ocean hasn't contaminated our ecosystem yet...

Another note: Some of my friends were wondering how Jack could survive, after jumping out so close to ground zero. After some reading, it looks like a nuke that size would have a blast radius of 1-2 miles. Jack jumped 4 minutes before, and the plane was going around 210 knots. That's about 4 miles a minute, giving Jack at least 10 miles from the blast zone. He's probably got about an hour (depending on winds) before he's in any serious danger.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Did the ecological damage analysis of an underwater detonation not make an impact on why the bomb was detonated in the desert? Sure, if you have 3 hours to fly into the Pacific ocean, there was a spot to detonate the bomb in the water, but with under an hour, the choices made desert detonation a safer bet.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Come on, you guys don't know why Palmer really picked the desert?

Palmer was trying to get two birds with one stone - get rid of the nuclear device, but, more importantly, get rid of the crafty Bauer-hating Mountain Lion.

Nice try, Mr President, but I'm willing to bet he's still out there - probably brainstorming new traps for Kim.

:D

JQ

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
the choices made desert detonation a safer bet.
In the context of the show, yes. But in real life, I'm not so sure. Either way, at least they provided plausable reasons for the desert choice. Most shows would have simply said "Not enough time to get it over water, desert it is".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was it just me, or did Mike's analysis of a water detonation scenario sound like his vocals were over-dubbed for that scene?

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick> I noticed that too!!!! I thought I was going crazy...his voice just seemed 'off', maybe a little deeper.

*whew* glad it wasn't just me..

~Jason

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Was it just me, or did Mike's analysis of a water detonation scenario sound like his vocals were over-dubbed for that scene?
I asked the same thing when I saw it last night.
I was thinking maybe it was just because I wasn't used to him speaking for so long. But I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination.

JQ

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
How many tourist are at sea? How many people live at sea
None, but there were a lot of ships in the area, some docks near by I think, and there would have been a lot more immediate casualties than in the desert where they "only" had to worry about a few campers.

And as far as water absorbing the blast better, I'm sure that's the case but they were worrying also about long term effects on the ecosystem. They didn't have to worry about the desert ecosystem that much.

I thought the explanation was pretty believable.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I bought the explanation also. Good enough for me and tv. (i made a rhyme!) Enjoyed the episode alot. I pretty much figured out that Mason was hiding on board. Way to go Mason. Take one for the team.

As for always being decieved by promos, I Believe that :
The guy breaking the glass door at the convienance store is not a rioter. Kim is in the wrong place at the wrong time again.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Palmer was trying to get two birds with one stone - get rid of the nuclear device, but, more importantly, get rid of the crafty Bauer-hating Mountain Lion.
Hmm, Is there any way we can capture this Lion alive, and encourage rapid breeding? :) You know, make it watch videos of Kim while being zapped by electricity so its encouraged to associate her with pain? (I know I do :D )

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh no, now we have lions getting the electric paddle treatment! It's the S&M craze that went amuck, all due to "24". Only on FOX.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Best episode of "24" ever. I really dug this one. MUCH more of the Jack/CTU story, only what was necessary of Kim (and her scene w/Jack is very moving), Palmer being all business.

Perfect.

As for the explanation of the detonation scenario....at least it was far more plausible than ANY of the silly conspiracy/lady mcpalmer story stuff this season.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
You know, make it watch videos of Kim while being zapped by electricity so its encouraged to associate her with pain? (I know I do )
Sure, as long as the videos aren't of Kim running...cause those would encourage other associations...

--
Getting out of my goofy sarcasm phase ;) ...

I thought last nights 24 was pretty good. The only real problem I had was Mason's redemption, which everyone knew was coming since episode 1 when he got exposed to the radiation and only had a few hours to live. As soon as Jack told Mason he couldn't fly the plane, and the camera cut to Mason then looking at the plane, it was obvious what was going to happen. This isn't anything big though, really. (24 and The Shield are the only two shows I watch that have been consistently good this season, despite a dull episode or two).

JQ

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Before we all turn into monday morning nuclear physicists here, I had just one more issue with the water detenation. Aside from the things they mentioned (the ships in the area, the ecosystem, the beaches), wouldn't detenating a nuclear bomb in the ocean cause a massive tidal wave, like a tsunami? That in turn would kill more people as well, perhaps more from than any prevailing wind scenario from a desert detenation. Just a thought.

Truly kick-ass episode. Easily one of the best. And ANOTHER three week break?! C'mon!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As soon as Jack told Mason he couldn't fly the plane, and the camera cut to Mason then looking at the plane, it was obvious what was going to happen.
Heck, as soon as Xander Berkley's name appeared in the opening credits, it was obvious what was going to happen. :) Didn't make it any less effective, though.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Farewell Mason. You went out like a hero and will be missed!

[Pouring beer on the floor]This is for my homie[/end Pour]

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Mason will come back as the Incredible Radioactive Melting Man, and help Jack infiltrate the terrorist group. You read it here first!

Good episode, I have no clue if the desert/sea discussion was even remotely scientifically correct, but it sounded good on TV.

It sucks that'll be 3 weeks before it's back!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mason coming back as "The Toxic Avenger" would be good enough for me, especially if you can also introduce a blind blonde bombshell into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks