1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

20th Century No Longer A Fox

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Garysb, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    49A4ED22-B222-4582-A193-6F01D572C924.

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    This song doesn't make sense anymore!

RICK BOND, ChristopherG and TravisR like this.
  3. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

4. Message #44 of 91 Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    Maybe they can change it to "20th Century Fuchs".

I like the way the logo looks as 20th Century Pictures. Either that or Studios would be fine I think.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson

Greg.K likes this.
  6. Message #46 of 91 Jan 19, 2020
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

20th Century Fox ended when it was sold to Disney. I believe the studio offices and sound stages remained with Rupert Murdoch. Disney I think will rent them for a while. If executives from Disney are calling the shots at 20th is it still 20th? If someone comes to Disney to make a film does Disney decide under which of its studios the film will be made whether its Disney, 20th, Marvel. Pixar etc. Are films branded as 20th the films that would have been Touchstone or Hollywood Pictures a few years ago? Will 20th no longer make R rated movies? Here is the trailer for the first film to drop the Fox name. It still says 20th Century Fox so perhaps the trailer will become a collector's item. Will the FX Networks sold with 20th be rebranded such as FX, FXM, and FXX. They all reference Fox.

7. DVBRD

DVBRD Stunt Coordinator

Andy
    [​IMG]

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    If they're intent on keeping "20th Century" in the name they could do worse than the alliterative "20th Century Cinema."

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    There will likely still be R rated movies from 20th Century (Fox). Disney has historically had a subsidiary or two that handled R rated releases and right now they don’t. Having 20th allows them to service an R rated audience without diluting the family appeal of the Disney label. Ultimately having a subsidiary that can release movies to an audience that Disney avoids now will help them make more money, not less, which they’ll like.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

If I had to guess, I would say that after Disney gets through the slate of films it inherited, the 20th Century branding will only be used for existing 20th Century Fox franchises that Disney wants to continue.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    As to specifics, I would guess stuff like the Alien, Predator, Taken, Planet of the Apes, Kingsman, etc ... type franchises would go onto the 20th Century side?

Most likely I can see stuff like Avatar, superhero, etc .... and various animated stuff going to appropriate Disney divisions.

12. Message #52 of 91 Jan 19, 2020
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Zanuck could have taken Fox’s name off the studio at any time. He didn’t.

Marvin Davis could have done the same. He didn’t, either.

Rupert Murdoch could have removed it as well. Nope.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Because during their tenures, all of the Fox-branded assets were consolidated under a single ownership. That is no longer the case.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

It takes a really creative, monlithic, corporation to come up with the mind-blowing name like "20th Century Studios" as a replacement for 75 year old brand name "20th Century Fox". You would think the management geniuses at Disney would have told Murdoch, "You know, for 71.5 billion dollars, we want the name along with the property. You can rebrand your news network if you want."

Frankly, who is going to confuse the name "Fox News" with "20th Century Fox" anyways? Murdoch has dropped any reference to a century in rebranding his news corp. It is now just called Fox Corporation.

MatthewA and ChristopherG like this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    You would be surprise as it will take years before many people realize that Murdoch sold Fox films to Disney.

16. Message #56 of 91 Jan 19, 2020
    The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    Actually, what I've seen out elsewhere on the 'net is that the majority of people think Disney now owns Fox Network/News as well as the studios.

So, in answer to the question you also answered, who will confuse Fox News with 20th? Pretty much everybody but a handful of people like us, it looks like, because it was all named "Fox" and that's all the average person sees. And Murdoch's tender ministrations have tainted that name to the point that it's better for Disney to just drop it.

TravisR likes this.
  17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I just find it incredible that Disney failed to insist on the trademark name being transferred to them as part of a 71.4 billion dollar deal. That is probably the best evidence that the long range plan will be to drop the "20th Century xxxxx" brand name as chunks of that company become subsumed by other divisions of Disney.

MatthewA likes this.
  18. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    They probably didn't want it, for reasons that have been mentioned in this thread. Also, Murdoch was never going to give up the brand for his other networks.

I see no problem changing it. As was pointed out before, 20th Century Fox was called something else before, and will be called something else in the near future. It's evolution.

19. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    I am sad to see this Whatever the reason may be .. I still have my Star wars (Pre Disney)and a few other films that have the fanfare and I am glad to have them

20. Message #60 of 91 Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    "Fox" is not just a news channel. It's a broadcast channel and a sports channel as well. There's also FX and FXX, both faux-edgy variations on the name. There is also Fox Movie Channel, which I can guess is all but history at this point. But how are they going to survive while deprived of the studio that helped them create a lot of the content?

Not that 20th Century Fox produced every show on Fox: their first big hit was Married With Children, produced by Embassy Communications and later Columbia Pictures Television. It was less than three years from the sale of Embassy by Norman Lear to Coca-Cola before Coke found a way to dissolve it altogether. Now, it seems like TCF, an even larger studio than Embassy ever was under Lear, Joe Levine, or Avco Financial Studios, is fast-tracked to meet the same fate.