What's new

20th Century No Longer A Fox (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Disney announced that it is dropping Fox from the names of the studios it recently acquire. Logo will also change. It will become 20th Century Studios. Not to be confused with 20th Century Pictures the studio that merged with Fox Films back in 1935. I would guess if they change the logo on any existing films we will be hearing the complaints on the board.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/business/media/disney-fox-name.html?searchResultPosition=1
Disney Drops Fox From 20th Century Name
The name change means consumers won’t mistakenly connect the Disney-owned studio with Rupert Murdoch’s polarizing Fox News.
17disneyfox-1-articleLarge.jpg

20th Century Fox is a name that stretches back 85 years in Hollywood. Credit…Mark Ralston/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per Wikipedia the first 20th Century-Fox movie (yes originally there was a "-") was"Dante's Inferno" starring Spencer Tracey and Claire Trevor. One of the last 20th Century Pictures movies was "Call of The Wild" with Clark Gable and Loretta Young. The first 20th Century Studios film is "Call of the Wild" with Harrison Ford February 21. The first Searchlight Pictures (formerly Fox Searchlight )is "Downhill," starring Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus on February 14 . This info is from CNN.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
From a purely branding / marketing perspective, this makes total sense.

It removes any lingering "taint" from what the "Fox" name has become over the past 20-25+ years.

Oh? Disney's that mad about Joe Buck's baseball and football coverage?

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree with this move. "Fox" is not only another corporation but it has become synonymous with (Post edited by Moderator due to political reference)

While they're at it, now would be a good time to move the brand into the present, i.e. the 21st Century. Think about it: How much faith would you have in a movie that was presented by a company called "18th Century Films"? We accept "20th Century" because we've always known it, but place yourself in the late 21st or early 22nd century and you've never grown up with the attachment to that name, you'd think "WTF?"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with this move. "Fox" is not only another corporation t it has become synonymous with (Post edited by Moderator due to political reference).
I'm sure the polarizing nature of Fox News was a factor, but I think the main motivation behind this move is that there are still a lot of Murdoch-owned assets using the Fox name -- which creates brand confusion. Taking "Fox" off of the Disney-owned assets clears up that brand confusion.

The only reason I'm a bit surprised is because "20th Century Fox" has been a household name in and of itself for 85 years.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Except that in this case, it's an actual person's name: William Fox, the founder of Fox Film Corporation, a Hungarian-Jewish immigrant who anglicized it from Vilmos Fuchs.

My boycott of that mouse studio is going into overdrive after this. Buy whatever Fox movies and TV shows you want on disc on the used market before they go out of print and the prices go up. Do not give this company one thin dime.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks