What's new

2020-2021 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which team will win more games and have the most success this season?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Russell Wilson situation could be interesting as these QBs fan the flames of discontent.
Seems to me if Wilson leaves Seattle, they’re going to stink until they figure things out. Much like Rodgers and the Packers, the Seahawks are very (too) reliant on Wilson.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seems to me if Wilson leaves Seattle, they’re going to stink until they figure things out. Much like Rodgers and the Packers, the Seahawks are very (too) reliant on Wilson.
I don’t expect Wilson will be traded this off-season, but he’s setting the stage for something in the future. What that is only Wilson knows what it is.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From what I've read, Wilson is not interested in leaving Seattle, and the Seahawks are not shopping him. It's just been some teams inquiring about Wilson's availability. I cannot imagine Seattle trading him unless they receive a huge overpayment. Wilson is one of the top QB's in the league, is still in his prime, and seems to be a great presence both in the locker room and the community. Without him, Seattle instantly plummets to the bottom of that division.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Saw on the local media that JJ Watt asked the Texans to release him and they have agreed. I admit I am a little bit surprised at this turn of events. I expect fan interest in the team to continue to plummet as the team implodes. Curious to see if /where Watt ends up.

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Texans are releasing J.J. Watt. He has no guarantees left on the six year, $100 million extension he signed in 2014. He was under contract through next season, but Houston will clear $17.5 million in cap space from releasing Watt.

EDIT: Looks like Walter and I were posting at the same time. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Maurkice Pouncey, long time center for the Steelers, announced his retirement as expected. This will clear $8M in cap space, which is much needed in Pittsburgh. Supposedly Big Ben is meeting soon with the front office to discuss restructuring his contract, as he wants to come back. Unless it's a very team-friendly deal, I would rather they just move on, take the one-time $22M dead money hit this off season, and then be free and clear. Something needs to be done by March 17, though, when the new league year starts and Ben's $41M cap hit kicks in.

Maurkice's twin brother, Maurice Pouncey, also announced his retirement.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Urban Meyer's only been on the job a month or so, and he's already creating controversy in his hiring of former Iowa strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle, who was accused of making racist remarks, belittling and bullying players.

Jacksonville fans shouldn't be concerned, though, because we all know that Urban Meyer is such a good judge of character. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Urban Meyer's only been on the job a month or so, and he's already creating controversy in his hiring of former Iowa strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle, who was accused of making racist remarks, belittling and bullying players.

Jacksonville fans shouldn't be concerned, though, because we all know that Urban Meyer is such a good judge of character. ;)
I believe in giving people a second chance and if he pulls the same crap with these professional players, he'll get the crap knocked out of him and on his ass. Doyle's leash is going to be very short in the NFL.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maurkice Pouncey, long time center for the Steelers, announced his retirement as expected. This will clear $8M in cap space, which is much needed in Pittsburgh. Supposedly Big Ben is meeting soon with the front office to discuss restructuring his contract, as he wants to come back. Unless it's a very team-friendly deal, I would rather they just move on, take the one-time $22M dead money hit this off season, and then be free and clear. Something needs to be done by March 17, though, when the new league year starts and Ben's $41M cap hit kicks in.

Maurkice's twin brother, Maurice Pouncey, also announced his retirement.
Both brothers have been injured a lot so when the body is telling you to change professions, it's time to do so. The same with Big Ben.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saw on the local media that JJ Watt asked the Texans to release him and they have agreed. I admit I am a little bit surprised at this turn of events. I expect fan interest in the team to continue to plummet as the team implodes. Curious to see if /where Watt ends up.

- Walter.
I wonder if JJ will try to hook up with his brothers in Pittsburgh?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I believe in giving people a second chance and if he pulls the same crap with these professional players, he'll get the crap knocked out of him and on his ass. Doyle's leash is going to be very short in the NFL.
While I am fine with giving people 2nd chances, in this case it seems ill advised. Doyle was just let go last summer, and Meyer is just trying to establish himself as an NFL coach and create a culture in Jacksonville. Out of all the people he could hire for a strength and conditioning coach, is this really who he wants on his initial staff as he tries to recruit free agents to a destination that is already not very desirable? I could see this from an established head coach with an impeccable reputation (Belichick, Tomlin, etc.), but not someone like Meyer whose reputation is already shaky.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While I am fine with giving people 2nd chances, in this case it seems ill advised. Doyle was just let go last summer, and Meyer is just trying to establish himself as an NFL coach and create a culture in Jacksonville. Out of all the people he could hire for a strength and conditioning coach, is this really the who he wants on his initial staff as he tries to recruit free agents to a destination that is already not very desirable? I could see this from an established head coach with an impeccable reputation (Belichick, Tomlin, etc.), but not someone like Meyer whose reputation is already shaky.
You know that Meyer considers his reputation beyond reproach? Again, if his hiring reflects badly on Meyer than so be it as I think that Jacksonville organization a disaster to begin with even before Meyer.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if JJ will try to hook up with his brothers in Pittsburgh?

I've been wondering that also. Scott knows more about Pittsburgh's cap space and based on his post about Big Ben, I suspect that negotiation may play a factor in whether they can acquire Watt. Of course the other component is what sort of contract is Watt willing to accept. Based on his community ties, I am surprised that Watt is leaving, so playing with his brothers does seem like a natural choice. We'll see. I certainly wish JJ the best in whatever his future endeavors may be.

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've been wondering that also. Scott knows more about Pittsburgh's cap space and based on his post about Big Ben, I suspect that negotiation may play a factor in whether they can acquire Watt. Of course the other component is what sort of contract is Watt willing to accept. Based on his community ties, I am surprised that Watt is leaving, so playing with his brothers does seem like a natural choice. We'll see. I certainly wish JJ the best in whatever his future endeavors may be.

- Walter.
JJ Watt in Pittsburgh would be a nice story, but with Pittsburgh's cap issues I would be surprised to see it happen. The team desperately needs to address the offensive line with Pouncey, Villeneuava and DiCastro retiring now or soon, so whatever cap space they can free up needs to be spent there and in the secondary before addressing the defensive line. They also will need to save money for contract extensions for TJ Watt, Devin Bush and Minkah Fitzpatrick in the next off season. I would expect the offensive line to be a focus during the draft, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks