What's new

2019-2020 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While it will be nice to have something new sports-wise to follow, I am not as hyped for the draft as I might be. For the first time in many decades, the Steelers do not have a first round draft pick. It will be interesting to see what happens after the first overall pick, though, There could be some trades at #2 or #3 if a team wants to move up for a QB. I think it will take a lot for Washington to give up the #2 pick, as they should take Young form OSU, but you never know. Detroit at #3 should be doing everything possible to trade down unless the Skins trade out of #2. Miami could move up or just stay put at #5 and hope no other team leapfrogs them. San Diego moving up is another possibility.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Hard to believe that the Giants are “doing their
homework” on Oregon QB Justin Herbert. The only way this story isn’t bogus is if current QB Daniel Jones is a total punk. I think Jones can play (if he figures out how to keep the football), and teams who draft a QB every year stay bad
(the Jets and Browns are great examples of this).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hard to believe that the Giants are “doing their
homework” on Oregon QB Justin Herbert. The only way this story isn’t bogus is if current QB Daniel Jones is a total punk. I think Jones can play (if he figures out how to keep the football), and teams who draft a QB every year stay bad
(the Jets and Browns are great examples of this).
The Giants have the fourth pick. It's just a smokescreen to make other teams think they may draft a QB so they can get one to trade up into their spot. Same with the "rumors" about Detroit showing interest in Tua.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Giants have the fourth pick. It's just a smokescreen to make other teams think they may draft a QB so they can get one to trade up into their spot. Same with the "rumors" about Detroit showing interest in Tua.
Yes these are rumors we can’t take seriously. The Giants are not in a great spot at #4- they won’t get the guy they would really like to have
(Chase Young), unless the Skins take Tua, and the Lions trade their pick (if the Lions have a shot at Young, they’d better take him).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes these are rumors we can’t take seriously. The Giants are not in a great spot at #4- they won’t get the guy they would really like to have
(Chase Young), unless the Skins take Tua, and the Lions trade their pick (if the Lions have a shot at Young, they’d better take him).
Yes, if the Skins somehow pass on Young, then Detroit would be stupid to pass on him. Well, it is the Lions we are talking about, so they would probably take another tight end. :laugh:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I agree the Giants I think are happy with the young QB they have but they do want to stimulate interest in someone trading up to their spot...which is of course the smart thing to do. Even the Bengals have entertained offers to move into their spot. There was mention of Miami possibly trading up to the first pick to have their choice of the QBs. The Dolphins have the picks to move into the first pick if they wanted to try and I am sure the Bengals would entertain moving back to 5 and still picking one of the young QBs plus adding more talent with additional picks.

Not that I think that will happen but everybody toys with the idea of trades.

Actually, the Redskins trading for Kyle Allen I think made it less likely they would go after Cam Newton but made it a real possibility they might take Tua with the second pick. I don't think Allen or Haskins are great options or future quality starters at QB so I would not be shocked if the Redskins took Tua with the second pick. It looks like they are set-up to draft another QB based on who they have. If they signed Newton I would say there was no chance they would draft a QB at 2 they will take Young...and probably they will take Young but they opened the door to speculation when they signed Allen.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, the story is when the NFL and TV networks did a trial run of how this draft will work with everybody on individual cameras it was a total mess. They have just a couple days to figure it out now. Could make the whole thing even more entertaining as one of the problems was whose mic was on at what time and multiple people having open mics at once so people could hear people saying stuff they were not supposed to hear and people never knowing when mics were on or off. That could make for some choice comments getting out over the air.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So you guys still believe there will be an NFL season this year?

Well, I hope they get to play because this season stacks up as pretty interesting with all the big name player movement and stuff so I want to see Rivers as a Colt and Brady as a Buccaneer and all that.

I know they are going to try to play but there are some questions. I have seen scenarios where they are able to start the season because the virus is primarily dormant but that in late fall or early winter (November or December) some sort or form of quarantine could go back into place. However, they are thinking that won't be the sort of full quarantine we are in now it will be a quarantine of people over 60 and people with health problems that would make getting the virus worse.

Also, if they somehow end up with a vaccine by fall, seems unlikely but they claim it is possible, then they will play. They also have the possibility of playing to empty stadiums that every league talks about and that they are doing in China. So, it would be a TV season if they do that.

Also due to some recent info that doctors have been discussing they claimed that 50 to 85% more people actually have Covid 19 than they thought and because of this they believe the virus is a lot less dangerous to most people than they thought. If this ends up being true I think that will also impact what they decide to do because the sports leagues are actively looking at that info and may decide because of that it is safe for the players to play.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Best uniforms in the NFL...

Chargers new Uni.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Gronk doesn't matter much. He'll play a couple of games, then be out with injury to his back, shoulder, arm, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks