2019-2020 NFL Season

What team will be a surprise success this season?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis Colts

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Baltimore Ravens

• Oakland Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Can Newton getting released today.
Let’s see if Redskins coach Rivera brings him in.
If the Skins aren’t interested, who’s left? Patriots
(I don’t see that), Jaguars, Chargers,
and Raiders could be interested.

Reggie W

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Patriots and Chargers are out as they both have said they are not going to sign another veteran QB. I would think the Raiders are out too as they now have Carr and Mariota. Jags could look at him and the Redskins want him and have already brought in the other Carolina QB. Most teams that could sign him would not be doing so as the starter. I believe Cam will want to be handed the starting job if he signs with a team. The guy has a huge and fragile ego. The Redskins make the most sense but I suppose somebody else could emerge that wants him.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Raiders won't be interested.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Yes I forgot that they signed Mariota.
Gruden loved Mariota when he came out. Perhaps, Gruden can turn him around and he can remain healthy.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I would be surprised if Newton ended up anywhere other than Washington. However, his injured foot is still not healed, so that could complicate any signing right now.
I thought the Panthers gave Newton a physical the other day and he passed it?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Rivera and the Redskins traded with the Panthers to acquire QB Kyle Allen. This indicates Cam won’t be in Washington. Interesting to see where he goes- not many options left. The Chargers probably should be interested.

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Rivera and the Redskins traded with the Panthers to acquire QB Kyle Allen. This indicates Cam won’t be in Washington. Interesting to see where he goes- not many options left. The Chargers probably should be interested.
Kyle Allen is no better than a backup QB, and Washington gave up only a 5th round pick for him. That deal wouldn't stop the Skins from signing Cam Newton if they are looking for someone to push for the starter role over Haskins.

Reggie W

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Kyle Allen is no better than a backup QB, and Washington gave up only a 5th round pick for him. That deal wouldn't stop the Skins from signing Cam Newton if they are looking for someone to push for the starter role over Haskins.
So here's what is sort of interesting. Nobody is chasing Newton. At best you could say the action on him is less than lukewarm. This means he will sit for awhile waiting to be signed and the longer he sits the more his salary will decrease in terms of what he is offered.

The bet here is he will sit unsigned until the draft when teams that need QBs start filling those spots in the draft...then someone will sign him.

Here's the big surprise though. Rivera has claimed that Haskins is his starting QB, however, most people seem to think he is lying about that. Rivera it is believed is weighing his options between signing Newton or drafting Tua with the second pick in the draft. Now I admit I thought the Redskins were bluffing on Tua but the rumor is Rivera really loves the kid and he may very well push for the Redskins to draft him. If he does this Haskins is gone and they will surely trade him.

The Redskins seem to be playing this well though because if the Dolphins want Tua they may want to trade into the Redskins spot to get him.

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
So here's what is sort of interesting. Nobody is chasing Newton. At best you could say the action on him is less than lukewarm. This means he will sit for awhile waiting to be signed and the longer he sits the more his salary will decrease in terms of what he is offered.

The bet here is he will sit unsigned until the draft when teams that need QBs start filling those spots in the draft...then someone will sign him.

Here's the big surprise though. Rivera has claimed that Haskins is his starting QB, however, most people seem to think he is lying about that. Rivera it is believed is weighing his options between signing Newton or drafting Tua with the second pick in the draft. Now I admit I thought the Redskins were bluffing on Tua but the rumor is Rivera really loves the kid and he may very well push for the Redskins to draft him. If he does this Haskins is gone and they will surely trade him.

The Redskins seem to be playing this well though because if the Dolphins want Tua they may want to trade into the Redskins spot to get him.
The Redskins could definitely be playing games to get Miami to trade up to #2 with them instead of #3 with Detroit in order to get Tua.

As for Newton, both he and Winston are finding that it's a buyer's market this offseason for QBs. There were more free agents out there than open jobs. Flacco is also a free agent, and supposedly Cincy would like to trade Dalton. There just are not any starting jobs out there right now -- Miami and San Diego seem determined to draft QBs in the first round, and New England is committed to Stidham due to having no salary cap space for anything more expensive.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I don't see much upside to signing either Newton or Winston. The level of play from both has been subpar the past few seasons, and with Newton there seems to be chronic injury issues. And Winston has huge stats, but is incapable of protecting the ball from turnovers.

They could both be very good backups, but I'm not sure either is willing to accept a backup salary at the moment.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I don't see much upside to signing either Newton or Winston. The level of play from both has been subpar the past few seasons, and with Newton there seems to be chronic injury issues.

They could both be very good backups, but I'm not sure either is willing to accept a backup salary at the moment.
If they want to be in the NFL next season then they have to accept it, unless, a team reverses course or there is some unforeseen injury.

Reactions: Malcolm R

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Redskins could definitely be playing games to get Miami to trade up to #2 with them instead of #3 with Detroit in order to get Tua.

As for Newton, both he and Winston are finding that it's a buyer's market this offseason for QBs. There were more free agents out there than open jobs. Flacco is also a free agent, and supposedly Cincy would like to trade Dalton. There just are not any starting jobs out there right now -- Miami and San Diego seem determined to draft QBs in the first round, and New England is committed to Stidham due to having no salary cap space for anything more expensive.
I’d be shocked if a team trades for Dalton. I think, if a team is interested, they’ll wait until the Bengals cut him (I seriously doubt the Bengals trade their #1 pick, or draft anyone other than Burrow).

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I’d be shocked if a team trades for Dalton. I think, if a team is interested, they’ll wait until the Bengals cut him (I seriously doubt the Bengals trade their #1 pick, or draft anyone other than Burrow).
Dalton has no guaranteed money left on his contract, so Cincy may very well release him at some point. He could then be an attractive option as a backup somewhere if he's willing to sign for backup money. Dalton is certainly unlikely to get a starting gig anywhere, unless he signs for cheap with New England and beats out Stidham.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Chargers coach seems to have left the door ajar for the idea of bringing in Cam. Logical- Lynn knows, as much as he publicly says Taylor
is a good QB, the Chargers fans (both of them in the L.A. area) ain’t excited about watching Taylor, so the Chargers need to get somebody in there as soon as possible to let Taylor hold the clipboard- he’s not a starting QB.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha